What do you do with all those dang competition t-shirts?

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Let's do the math. Let's say you compete 4 times per year and you've been training for 10 years. 40 freakin t-shirts! They start to pile up!

Comp t shirts used to be a fashion statement for me. In the default world nobody knew what they were. It was a good conversation starter.

"What's jiu Jitsu?"
"Well, step into my office. Sit down. Let me tell you how it all began..."

Some of my favorites I've worn until they have holes in them. Of course I created a ceremonial shirt burning for them. (Joking) They are too important of a symbol to just throw in the trash. My ex wife was so tired of me wearing them that she created a quilt. An effing quilt! I guess it's not a bad idea, but what the heck am I going to do with 12 quilts?

As of now, I decided to roll them up and put them in a storage container and put them in a closet. A friend of mine had to move across the pond so he took a picture of all of them and then donated them to the Salvation Army. I'm sure he shed a few tears on that day.

I'm trying to become a minimalist. I've given away high quality clothing without a second thought. I can't see me ever getting rid of my 2005 Gracie open t shirt. The sentimental value is too great.

So, what to do???

I usually give them to kids in the gym. They love that sort of stuff, and hopefully it keeps them interested/training a bit longer. Same if I lose at a comp but end up collecting a consolation medal, I don't really value the medal so much so I usually pass it off to one of the younger kids who are typically stoked with it.

I usually give them to kids in the gym. They love that sort of stuff, and hopefully it keeps them interested/training a bit longer. Same if I lose at a comp but end up collecting a consolation medal, I don't really value the medal so much so I usually pass it off to one of the younger kids who are typically stoked with it.

Very admirable solution to this complicated issue, my friend. Godspeed!

I forgot to add in all of your MMA friends t shirts that you buy to support your homies. The team competition shirts that you buy so you walk into the arena like you want a part in a "warriors" remake.

You start pushing the upper double digits in t shirts. Then, your friends start planning an intervention on you. Nobody wants to get a 5150 because of a t shirt issue.

The one I got at IBJJF last weekend was such a light colored red it almost looks pink.

I usually like their shirts but not this one. Not sure what I am going to do with it.

I made this thread because I have been downsizing over the last few years trying to become a minimalist. I think it's funny that I am willing to part with a leather jacket that I bought in Italy in 1995 but I won't give up a 2011 pan am competition t shirt.

I gave most of my old clothe to a shelter and alot of tournament tees in the box. I keep hoping to see a panhandler with a grapplers quest 2008 tshirt

My wife turned them into a tshirt blanket. It's what I cover myself with on the sofa when watching TV

+1 ^

Someone's grandma could make you a sweet quilt Bill.

I use them as gym shirts. Unless they are particularly nice then I will occasionally wear them in public.

Whatever competition shirts are good for striking, no-gi, lifting/cardio, or extra curricular sports (running, biking, basketball, etc). Maybe wear them when you are doing projects that may get dirty.

The one I got at IBJJF last weekend was such a light colored red it almost looks pink.

I usually like their shirts but not this one. Not sure what I am going to do with it.
Austin Open?

I have that same color from American Nationals. I like it.

Wear the ugly ones to bed as nightshirts.

I gave most of my old clothe to a shelter and alot of tournament tees in the box. I keep hoping to see a panhandler with a grapplers quest 2008 tshirt

I saw a houseless guy in a wheelchair wearing a Bay Jiu-Jitsu pullover hoodie the other day.

My ex wife was so tired of me wearing them that she created a quilt. An effing quilt! I guess it's not a bad idea, but what the heck am I going to do with 12 quilts?

After the potty thread.. I dont hope you think I am stalking you (but I am.)
Could show us a pic of the quilt because that actually sounds funny as hell.

8A1F7D5F-2060-4A8D-8653-E3AE30F2456F_zpsfcypjqtu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] After the potty thread.. I dont hope you think I am stalking you (but I am.)
Could show us a pic of the quilt because that actually sounds funny as hell.[/QUOTE]

It's been a while since I uploaded a pic. I'm failing at photobucket at the moment.

8A1F7D5F-2060-4A8D-8653-E3AE30F2456F_zpsfcypjqtu.jpg
IMG_2864_zps4gvyu6hn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

%5BURL=http://s142.photobucket.com/user/bh...tter1967/IMG_2864_zps4gvyu6hn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
IMG_2862_zpsg5kvbnwi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] sorry, my friend. I don't have any more time for this. It could be the I pad. I'm not sure. Pictures are just not working

Last edited:
If you are in the over 40 club, like I am, you really look like a tool when your wardrobe consists of Competition shirts (there are actually a lot of guys like this!). Either use them as a workout shirt, or give them away.

Wear them around the house while doing chores....
This guy gets it.

I love the shirts IBJJF have been giving out the last few years. Prior to like 2012-2013 they used hand out these crappy shirts that had a terrible fit to them. It looked like I was wearing a potato sack when I had one of their old shorts on.

Back