What do you think the current state of MMA is right now?

What do you think the current state of MMA is right now?

• Total voters
LHW and HW sucks. One dimensional fighters can still become champs like in the early days.

Heads hate on WMMA but the Rousey era, with Conor prime too, was Golden, for me personally. I haven't seen the sports bars as packed since then. Rousey fights were absolutely poppin; never seen so many women showing up to watch fights, which was pleasant, as it always is to have ladies around.

I don't know that that era had my favorite crop of fighters active, but it was solid. The energy circulating the populace with regards to MMA was intense during that period. Gyms popped up all over the place, and it really got taken mainstream.

I don't necessarily care for either personality, but Ronda and Conor bless; they deserve praise for that time, as far as I'm concerned.

Same. The sport has seen wayyyy darker times than now. There are a lot of good fights and fighters out there. But merit is what combat sports are and should be based on, and the UFC is killing that. Sloppy booking, hotshot booking, endless rematches because their matchmakers are short-sighted or lazy, inventing interim titles nonstop… it’s really starting to hurt he sport.

edit: ridiculous PPV prices and ESPN+ subscription needed to watch is also bullshit.
Totally agree with everything you said.

Everything you said is the reasons why I have issues with it too. The other thing I would add is that the UFC roster has become very bloated and there are lots of mediocre fighters in UFC now because they sign most of their fighters from DWCS, in the last years basically 90% of fighters they have signed have come from DWCS. This is a big problem because most of them have virtually no experience and have proven nothing. I know you like Nemkov, well they will sign someone who is 5-3 from DWCS over him any day, thats all they do now.. its resulted in a very bloated roster with a ton of mediocre fighters.

Still enjoy tuning in each week although my enthusiasm about it has regressed. I think it’s the emphasis on “money fights” and too many rematches. Still some cards I do get pretty excited about though. So I’ll say it’s doing ok, but nothing exceptional.

Back