• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What fighter lost a fight but would beat their opponent in a rematch 9/10 times?

Al Iaquinta and Cowboy.

Cowboy is awesome and legit however if Al sorted out getting past that reach problem I think we'd have seen a completely different fight which Al has said he learned a lot from that fight.

I disagree. Even a way past prime Wandy was a superior fighter to Leben at the time, he just showed him zero respect and was chinny at the time.

Brian Stann was a significantly more dangerous striker than Leben and Wandy put his lights out.
Leben had granite chin unlike Stann.

Shocking Headline - "Different Fighters Hit Their Prime And Go Past Their Prime At Different Ages."

And in Fedor's case, he was a national Sambo champion, and trained in it since childhood. He had alot of miles on his body long before he ever fought in America.

And very subtle accusation of PEDs you posted. You may also note in none of his drug tests in his eight fights in the states did he have any abnormal results, indicating recent or distant PED use. (Not a single picogram)

But Werdum did.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/11/...ing-out-of-competition-drug-test-steroids-mma

As I said, he's a bitch.
I'll never get how people are so invested into Fedor even now.

Whittaker/Romero.

I mean Whittaker beat him twice. So 9/10 goes out the window right. You can say arguably Yoel won a fight but it was close enough decision to give to Robert. So, I disagree mate.

This will be controversial, but I think Shogun beats Forrest 9/10.
Leben had granite chin unlike Stann.

Stann absolutely had a granite chin. He went toe to toe with Leben and absolutely slaughtered him.

He had been stopped been with a single time in his career when he met Wanderlei, and had never been knocked unconscious.

I was watching Serra/GSP earlier and this is a prime example of that, I was trying to think of others though but was struggling.

I don't want to call the first Serra win a complete fluke but I can't see Serra being able to duplicate that if they fought 5 or even 10 times.

What other fights are a prime example of this?

Not sure I totally agree with that, I don't see it as some total fluke finish so much as GSP going into the match with the wrong tactics. He seemed to think the main threat from Serra was his BJJ and so kept I standing but without the threat of the takedown Matt could get in close and exchange with him aggressively.

Serra looked dangerous before rocking GSP and personally with George fighting that way I think Serra winning isn't that big an upset. Exactly how many he'd win out of 10 I don't know but I think more than 1.

By the rematch GSP changed tactics and Serra had very little chance.

Wanderlei/Leben comes to mind aswell.

Also a not so serious one but I really wouldn't be able to see Koscheck having much luck against Rumble these days.
You don't see Leben outbrawling old Wanderlei again? I feel like Leben wins that fight 6/7 times out of 10.

I disagree. Even a way past prime Wandy was a superior fighter to Leben at the time, he just showed him zero respect and was chinny at the time.

Brian Stann was a significantly more dangerous striker than Leben and Wandy put his lights out.
Stann is not the brawler Leben is and wand chose to brawl with him. After that technical fight against bisping I expected more strategy out of him.

That version of wand loses with that gameplan more often than not.

This will be controversial, but I think Shogun beats Forrest 9/10.
It's controversial because it was an asswhooping. He broke Shogun. That isn't a fluke. Was Shogun coming off an injury? Yes. But Forrest won the war of attrition, tired him, and choked him. Huge upset but not a fluke. The Forrest that showed up for the second fight didn't wanna be there. He never recovered from the Silva fight. Not sure it would have mattered because Shogun landed a big shot early.

As far as Fedor goes I don't think any of the SF loses were massive upsets, maybe Hendo as the biggest as that ended in quite a strange fashion after Dan himself had been hurt. If you replay the other two I think Fedor probably does KO them a few times out of 10, exactly how many? hard to say but I think he wins those something between 1/3 and 2/3rds of the time.

Arlovski beats Fedor every time of he doesn't leap in with his chin straight up in the air

It's controversial because it was an asswhooping. He broke Shogun. That isn't a fluke. Was Shogun coming off an injury? Yes. But Forrest won the war of attrition, tired him, and choked him. Huge upset but not a fluke. The Forrest that showed up for the second fight didn't wanna be there. He never recovered from the Silva fight. Not sure it would have mattered because Shogun landed a big shot early.

The second fight is the truer reflection of both mens abilities IMHO, the idea that Forrest lost his heart after Anderson doesn't stack up IMHO. We saw earlier in his career that he went down easy when hurt vs Jardine and again vs Rashad, the difference vs Rampage was IMHO that Jackson was always really bad at follow up GnP being way too easy to tie up. Griffin as some iron willed warrior in the cage was always UFC spiel.

The first fight wasn't a fluke but in retrospect it looks like the injury played a massive factor. That wasn't Shogun coming off of one either it was actually fighting with a torn ACL as far as I'm aware, making it worse during the fight and then having surgery. I think in terms of mobility and cardio you can see the difference pretty clearly, he can't get in Forrests face as in the rematch and he gasses quickly. Maybe being cynical but I wonder if Forrest hadn't heard though the grapevine about the injury, he was at X-treme Couture and its pretty much accepted Randy did that vs Sylvia.

cain jr dos santos comes to mind lots of times it happens but fights right now

asken vs mastivadal rematch would go bad for him

i think cruz beats cody in a rematch

I mean Whittaker beat him twice. So 9/10 goes out the window right. You can say arguably Yoel won a fight but it was close enough decision to give to Robert. So, I disagree mate.
That last decision was the definition of a gift.

Back