What got you into mma? What fight got you into mma?

Gordeau vs the Sumo guy. Saw it on a PPV preview for UFC 2 (using the previous footage from UFC 1). Said this a'int WWF? Then watched Gracie take out 4 guys in one night! Still like the no rules, no rounds or time limits, and no game planning because you don't know who your fighting next.

Our fighting national pride Elias Theodorou

Just kidding iron mike zambidis. He was a beast back then always for the kill. I hate to see him today still chasing sth

Fedor/CroCop... my pops was watching it... I had seen some UFC/PRIDE fights before but this made me start watching it. Papa always liked them and always watched them but this was what made me a fan.

Grew up with bullsh*t MA like Ninjutsu which gave me the delusion I could actually take on really big dudes which ended with me getting my ass handed to me. Watching Renzo destroy fricken monsters in World Combat Championship sold me and with BJJ i became far more confident in my prowess especially at that time when no one else knew even basic defense.Funny enough 20 years later and im almost purely striker but having the BJJ as backup is always nice

oh and...

Had friends that watched the early ones and I watched them a bit. A friend from high school went to train with Ken Shamrock and went on to Pancrase. The tiger Vernon White. Sadly didn’t get majorly into it until tuf 1 and ordered my first ppv ufc 52.

Watching royce gracie fuck everyone up the first ufc with my dad. We were both like wtf. We thought kung fu was the ultimate martial art and nothing else came close back then.
I know what you mean, I took Kung Fu (we did some ground stuff though) and saw that clinic and was like WOW. I think it was UFC 3 in Charlotte.

Ryan Ackerman vs ivan menjivar
Jeff joslin vs jon Fitch

Apex fighting. Watched after a night out drinking on local cable a couple times. Hooked.

Fitch vs joslin was an absolute robbery btw. Joslin could have been somethin great with a bit better luck

I can't say when exactly I saw my first fight but it must be somewhere around 2005.

Watched a couple of fights casually since then but it wasn't until GSP came back to fight Bisping that I really got into watching MMA. Been hooked ever since.

Had no idea what it was back then, i was in high school around 1996-1997 and someone brought a tape of a "no rules" fight, it was one of the first UFC events, not sure who were fighting, i believe it was Dan Severn knee'ng the shit out of a TKD/Karate guy on the ground, then i found it on TV around the Tito era and i have been a fan from there.

No one fighter or fight got me into MMA. I've had a life long interest in TMA and pro wrestling. When you consider "Bloodsport" and "Enter the Dragon" two of the greatest films ever, legitimate fighting is just going to appeal to you.

Thanks, man. Honestly, I can't ever see losing interest in combat sports. Both boxing & MMA are such a big part of my life that I'll probably be watching one or the other when I take my last breath. Hopefully not until the conclusion of the main event though. LOL. :D

First MMA fight I ever saw was Aldo vs Swanson.
First proper event was Strikeforce: Fedor vs Rogers.
hooked ever since

I got dubbed VHS tapes of UFC 1 through 5 back in ~98 or so. Not one particular fight, but the whole 'anything goes kumite' feel was simply epic to me, being a martial arts film fan, growing up with street fighter 2 and van damme, Seagal, Norris etc. I have been addicted pretty much since seeing Royce do his thing back in the day...

The spectacle of Pride and the big events during that period probably was the 'peak MMA' for me and the feeling of anticipation and amazement of the awesomeness of combat ... Many of the big UFC fights here and there nowadays get close but its only a few times per year rather than almost every event. But still love it all said and done

Cro Cop switching to MMA
And Wanderlei knocking people out in Pride

UFC 1, Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock.

Back