What happened to Cody?

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
He looked unstoppable against Dom. Like, truly elite, as he had against his previous opponents, then took a serious nosedive.

I know his fight IQ is incredibly low, but it didn't always seem this way. He fought really smart in his early UFC appearances.

So what happened?

He looked unstoppable against Dom. Like, truly elite, as he had against his previous opponents, then took a serious nosedive.

I know his fight IQ is incredibly low, but it didn't always seem this way. He fought really smart in his early UFC appearances.

So what happened?
He looked great against Deiveson until that submission so id still say he looks the best he has in a while

After winning the title Cody never looked the same, maybe it was just mental issues, because some of his fights after he looked good, but also nobody can confidently pick him despite being in a prime age of 32. I think some guys win the title and never look the same again because that was their whole goal so they never become who they were trying to get to the title.

I think its one of those things he just has Cruz's number.

Kind of like Hallman with Hughes.

Most of his fights after he lost the belt he didn't look that different. He just couldn't get the job done, approached some fights questionably, etc. He surely didn't look like he lost in anything in his game.

Just a case of looking good until he was finished. People tend to forget, if he had a few more seconds on the clock against TJ, he probably would've gotten the TKO.

His style was perfect for Cruz. That said, Dom himself was probably at his absolute worst physically in that fight with pretty bad Plantar Fasciitis. I always thought he looked better in his recent run than in his second title run. (His prime was obv. his first title run in the WEC/UFC).

Garbrandt had a pretty significant back injury after that fight and if I remember correctly he admitted he came back too soon from it.

Garbrandts chin didn't help matters either. He's still fast and powerful with some excellent technique but it seems there is always something health-wise (vertigo), life-wise (moving camps cause of his kid), and so on.

Cody really is one of the biggest what-ifs in the sport.

i think the fame got to him on the come up... then he didn't know how to handle the L to Dillashaw and then to Munhoz. kept relying on early KOs to get the finish rather than change around his game.

had a kid then his wife left him

Back