What happened to Valentina?

what starts with 'p' and ends in 'olyamory'? supposedly... allegedly.... satire.

Get it, but still wonder with who (and on that case who and how many)
Coach is gonna always be on the cards bc long time ago there’s been the rumor he was married to Antonina. If so, now seems divorced…

She’s been figured out. She MAY have lost a step, but I think it’s more a case of others simply getting an step closer because of how many times she’s fought. People can just prepare more diligently. Alexa executed a perfect plan

TBH I don t understand how people can pull a weidman at that level.

Spinning shit is low percentage and is rarely very damaging.

Valentina completely fucked up her spinning shit, was horrible.

She turns 35 tomorrow, I think age is a factor. In the men's divisions, there has never been a 35+ year-old in the LW or under weight classes who has won a title fight, and I believe it's also the case in the female weight classes. At those lighter weights, as soon as the speed start to decline slightly (which happens to everyone in mid-30's), it makes a huge impact and things can start to go downhill fast.

She's also a true lifetime martial artist who has been competing in martial arts for literally 30 years. She probably had well over 100 Muay Thai/kickboxing fights before her long UFC career. Her body just isn't responding the same it way it did in her prime, and there seems to be some mental fatigue there as well. She still has the skills to beat someone like Grasso, but she's making errors that she never used to make.

Anyone 35+ who trains combat sports knows this is the answer. The difference in speed, reaction time and recovery might be incremental and if you have the skills you'll still be piecing up scrubs in training. But it takes a special athlete to still put it on top contenders in the lighter weight classes at 35+. More likely in WMMA due to the shallower depth.

In the men's divisions, off the top of my head I'm thinking Sherk at 155 at 34, Figueredo at 125 at 34, and Volkanovski at 145 at 34. Volk turns 35 this year and he looked pretty damn great vs. Makhachev so we'll see what happens with him. The best example is Patricio Pitbull at Bellator 145. As the reigning champ, that maniac has won two since turning 35 and it's a crying shame we never saw him in the UFC in his prime.

Could be past her prime already. She had a bunch of combat fights outside of MMA. Fedor had a bunch of judo and combat sambo matches. Crocop had a bunch of kickboxing fights. Takes toll on your body.
Maybe slowing reflexes, less confidence. Some of her recent fights had tough rounds for her before Grasso.

Valentina I think was caught off guard by the speed of Grasso,but as the fight wore on,she could see the punches coming and evade them. Downloaded the data. Grasso WAS faster,but once Val saw that,she was able to deal with it once she accepted that. Grasso's performance was amazing,no doubt,but I am def eager to see a rematch to see what further adjustments Val can make,because she got more comfortable in the striking as the fight wore on. Spinning kick nonwidthstanding lol

What do you guys think? Is she really old now and past her prime or she just had an off night ?

Because ain't no fucking way in hell that the same Valentina who took Holm, Joanna and Nunes to school at stand-up is going to be losing against these caliber of fighters now

Grasso ain't that good, something was wrong with Valentina

What do you guys think?
You'll never find the honest answers you're looking for, until you reassess your belief that "Grasso ain't that good." Grasso is, in fact, very good.

Age and mileage are a factor, probably.

Someone else mentioned tape, and that's definitely one too.

Long reigning champs hand everyone studying them in volume. Thru that lens it makes those long reigns even more impressive, imo.

Just not as good as Valentina fans claim, she’s a step below someone like Amanda Nunes. Always will be.

Just not as good as Valentina fans claim, she’s a step below someone like Amanda Nunes. Always will be.
This fight has nothing at all to do with anything your talking about

Amanda Nunes has absolutley nothing to do with this fight. Getting leapt on for missing a spinning kick can happen to anyone.

What do you guys think? Is she really old now and past her prime or she just had an off night ?

Because ain't no fucking way in hell that the same Valentina who took Holm, Joanna and Nunes to school at stand-up is going to be losing against these caliber of fighters now

Grasso ain't that good, something was wrong with Valentina

What do you guys think?

Same thread but about Usman scheduled for Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back