What is Conor's Legacy? (Octagon-wise)

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Watching FW conor was amazing. I was really glad I got to witness such a metoric rise, but where does conor legacy stand within the cage? Forget the PPVs, box office records and bringing more eyes to the sport of MMA. Lets just focus on octagon accolades.

I think his career is somewhat rather disappointing. For what he could have accomplished. I don't think he could have continued making the featherweight weight much longer but even if he had a few title defenses(which, I think he could have done), it would have been awesome. I don't think a FW at that time could beat him. I think he was the best FW at that time.

Winning two belts is a good achievement, but having two belts simultaneously is not an achievement. Dana white was against that before Conor came around so that's that. However, becoming a 2-weight class champ is another feather in his cap.

I don't know how he'd do at LW after winning the title. LW has some live dogs and if he didn't box floyd, eventually he would have to meet khabib anyway with khabib being the challenger.

Still though, his career leaves a lot to be desired for someone of his skill set and his potential. I don't think we even got a chance to see conor come into his prime. Boxing floyd ruined what we would have been prime conor imo.

He did mess up his career a bit because the money got into his head. Still he changed MMA

2d742f762bc8684cd7bdb87577fcc5a8.gif

Watching FW conor was amazing. I was really glad I got to witness such a metoric rise, but where does conor legacy stand within the cage? Forget the PPVs, box office records and bringing more eyes to the sport of MMA. Lets just focus on octagon accolades.

I think his career is somewhat rather disappointing. For what he could have accomplished. I don't think he could have continued making the featherweight weight much longer but even if he had a few title defenses(which, I think he could have done), it would have been awesome. I don't think a FW at that time could beat him. I think he was the best FW at that time.

Winning two belts is a good achievement, but having two belts simultaneously is not an achievement. Dana white was against that before Conor came around so that's that. However, becoming a 2-weight class champ is another feather in his cap.

I don't know how he'd do at LW after winning the title. LW has some live dogs and if he didn't box floyd, eventually he would have to meet khabib anyway with khabib being the challenger.

Still though, his career leaves a lot to be desired for someone of his skill set and his potential. I don't think we even got a chance to see conor come into his prime. Boxing floyd ruined what we would have been prime conor imo.
I disagree.

I think the UFC did everything they could to have the image of Conor holding two belts at the same time. They could give a fuck after,but they wanted that picture. Too bad the idiots didnt have both belts ready at the time.

I think showed two things: How to be a star and how to be a falling star.

He was the man for a while, then it got to his head and he started making poor choices.

Then he lost to khabib, and people turned on him because he was being dumb, then lost.

Ill always remember him fondly as a fighter, and i didnt mind his cockyness, but the khabib thing went to far imo. Thats where he really went wrong.

Last edited:
I disagree.

I think the UFC did everything they could to have the image of Conor holding two belts at the same time. They could give a fuck after,but they wanted that picture. Too bad the idiots didnt have both belts ready at the time.
There's nothing to disagree with.

I agree with you. They wanted conor to win the two belts and did everything in their power for him to do so. But what I'm sayhing before Conor came around, they were against 2-weight champs holing the belts simultaneously. Conor broke that door open so now people get to do it. It sells I guess, but before Dana didn't like the idea of people moving up and down in weight to get shots at different titles like that.

There's nothing to disagree with.

I agree with you. They wanted conor to win the two belts and did everything in their power for him to do so. But what I'm sayhing before Conor came around, they were against 2-weight champs holing the belts simultaneously. Conor broke that door open so now people get to do it. It sells I guess, but before Dana didn't like the idea of people moving up and down in weight to get shots at different titles like that.
Usually its because the fighters wanting to fight for another belt,wasnt a draw,and a pain in the ass to deal with,like Aldo. They let BJ do it because he was a fan favorite.

legit FW champ but I have never considered him the best LW. even when he was fighting Alvarez I knew Khabib would of beaten him.
His match of eddie was a masterful performance but I agree. It was only a matter of time before Khabib would go on to kick his ass. I don't think he would have lasted in the LW division as champion or as contender if he just went through fighting at lw like a regular fighter

Its crazy to think this man had a chance to be even bigger than he is now in MMA and globally and he fucked that up. Yet he's still fucking successful lol.

Usually its because the fighters wanting to fight for another belt,wasnt a draw,and a pain in the ass to deal with,like Aldo. They let BJ do it because he was a fan favorite.
Are you disagreeing that his carreer wasn't disappointing? Sorry, I missed that. I thought you were just referring to the double champ thing.

I think he could have been a goat if he wanted to. He's the most popular MMA star now, biggest in history probably and I still think he could have gotten a chance to be bigger. He could have moved into many more sponsorships deals, just take over like a lebron level. Him fighting often could also brought more eyes to the sport than it has already

but just sticking to octagon wise, he really had a chance to make a strong case as a legend and he foiled that way. I don't think he'd do good lw or ww(obviously) I think masvidal could beat him. I think a few lw could, but fw if he stayed, he could have had a good argument to be one of the greats.

Are you disagreeing that his carreer wasn't disappointing? Sorry, I missed that. I thought you were just referring to the double champ thing.

I think he could have been a goat if he wanted too. He's the most popular MMA star now, biggest in history probably and I still think he could have gotten a chance to be bigger. He could have moved into many more sponsorships, just take over like a lebron level. Him fighting often could also brought more eyes to the sport than it has aalready

but just sticking to octagon wise, he really had a chance to make a strong case as a legend and he foiled that way. I don't think he'd do good lw or ww(obviously) I think masvidal could beat him. I think a few lw could, but fw if he stayed, he could have had a good argument to be one of the greats.
I think you just have to look at his career as abnormal,in the way BJ Penn or Randy couture's was.

He didnt want to do things the normal way people do them. He didnt have to.
So it can be difficult to compare his career to other GOAT's cos it happened in a particular way for him,and his oppurtunities were different.

Conor McGregor is currently #2 in the GOAT list.

"The array of finishes, across 2 divisions, with champion status in 1, Anderson Silva is No.1 MMA GOAT," said McGregor.

McGregor, who has a 22-4 record in MMA, claims his "champion status" in two UFC divisions - featherweight and lightweight - is enough to secure him second place behind former middleweight champion Silva.

"My array of finishes, across 3 divisions, with champion status in 2, I'm No.2. If not tied one.

"I didn't mention PED results on multiple entrants, even though that makes me the clear current No.1 MMA GOAT, along with still being active," said McGregor.

"Although it shames, as well as puts all runs and finishes in complete doubt, I've snored multiple juice heads. A true GOAT must do it all."

Proof: https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/52784942

Back