What is next for Petr Yan (1-4 in his last 5)?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Should he just be cut from the UFC? He is 1-4 in his last 5. That is pretty bad and not deserving of a UFC contract IMHO.

make him a prelim fighter

He needs to go back to his roots. He doesn't seem the same as the guy who dominated Sterling and turned the extremely overrated Hose Waldo into mincemeat.

He probably could have won and should have won every fight except the Merab fight. If I were him I'd go make some real money with another organization and ask to be released, he'd probably dominate wherever he'd go. Stop wasting his last years in the UFC, he's already been champ.

He needs to go back to his roots. He doesn't seem the same as the guy who dominated Sterling and turned the extremely overrated Hose Waldo into mincemeat.
He does tho, that's the problem.

Really depends on how the UFC views him. If they still think he’s a viable contender and money maker then you give him someone like Munhoz or Cruz. If they want to try and use him to build the next gen you go Umar

He got robbed in one of those losses. And the Pink poodle is still sitting it out waiting for his undeserved title fight because of it.

It was Yan's fault for agreeing to a 3-rounder. Bad management; bad decision-making.

Who would fight a tall, super-fast guy only 3 rounds, knowing that you're a slow-starting, 5-round fighter?

It was Yan's fault for agreeing to a 3-rounder. Bad management; bad decision-making.

Who would fight a tall, super-fast guy only 3 rounds, knowing that you're a slow-starting, 5-round fighter?
Yan also had bleeding from a cut which was impairing his vision, he was overprotecting that eye which took a lot of his focus on the third round.

Horrible spot to be in. He should ask to be cut/traded to another ORG to build himself back up or at get a few easier paydays before retiring

Should he just be cut from the UFC? He is 1-4 in his last 5. That is pretty bad and not deserving of a UFC contract IMHO.
2 of those losses were split decisions against top contenders. He has only really been beaten soundly once (Merab)

They can make him a gatekeeper to test up and comers on the brink of title contention ala Max Halloway.

He probably could have won and should have won every fight except the Merab fight. If I were him I'd go make some real money with another organization and ask to be released, he'd probably dominate wherever he'd go. Stop wasting his last years in the UFC, he's already been champ.

Eh, he really only has himself to blame for the first Aljo fight. I scored the second fight for Sterling; at worst it's a Draw IMO. The O'Malley fight was a tough one; I definitely scored it for Yan, but it was sufficiently competitive and so close throughout nearly its entirety that I personally don't consider it a highway robbery (though admittedly I have a pretty high bar for using the R word).

He’s a gatekeeper-level fighter that lucked into a title by going against poor competition. Nothing wrong with that, why do fans have a tough time accepting that Yan isn’t as good as they thought he was?

Back