"What is Paleo?" - Video by Alex Johnson

May I ask you why you eat a pound of chicken in one sitting when a pound of chicken is like 100+ grams of protein?

I would think that you're not absorbing alot or even most of that and if not then why not eat something else instead of the excess protein?

Or maybe you just like chicken and don't care about the wasted protein.

could you explain how it is wasted? I've noticed you like to throw out a lot of "facts" which have been proved wrong or at least disputed.

Because i am bulking and it's a way to get some cals. Cooked right it is tasty and easy for me eat. I know i don't need more then 40-50 grams of protein per meal. When you are on a bulk you take clean cals how you can get them.

Also i work in the construction industry so i burn a lot of calories at work. I also am very hungry when i am at work. I don't see it as wasted protein just needed calories.

I find it cheaper/easier/tastier to eat fattier cuts of meat, but thats just me

could you explain how it is wasted? I've noticed you like to throw out a lot of "facts" which have been proved wrong or at least disputed.

What are you talking about? When did I state anything as if it were a "fact"?

Or did you read my post with a prejudice that you formed in the past?

I would think that you're not absorbing alot or even most of that

^^Does that look like stating something as a fact?

I've heard from numerous sources that the human body can only absorb 30-50 grams of protein in one sitting so to speak. So I said I would think that he's not absorbing most of that 100+ grams. Then I asked him a question based on that theory.

What are you talking about? When did I state anything as if it were a "fact"?

Or did you read my post with a prejudice that you formed in the past?

^^Does that look like stating something as a fact?

I've heard from numerous sources that the human body can only absorb 30-50 grams of protein in one sitting so to speak. So I said I would think that he's not absorbing most of that 100+ grams. Then I asked him a question based on that theory.

which sources are those? How then could people on IF maintain or even gain weight? The fact is the body is capable of adapting to almost anything, and it can definitely absorb more than 30-50 g protein in one setting.

which sources are those? How then could people on IF maintain or even gain weight? The fact is the body is capable of adapting to almost anything, and it can definitely absorb more than 30-50 g protein in one setting.

I've actually spent some time looking up more info on this subject. While the 'only 30g in one sitting' statement is usually agreed upon as untrue, anything higher than that his hazy. It's hard to arbitrarily put it at one number, since body sizes are different and people metabolize macros a bit different too. I'm sure the 300 lbs guy will be able to absorb more protein than the chick 1/3rd the size.

Also, the rate at which the protein is digested matters. Drinking 100g of whey and other fast acting proteins without any fat or fiber to slow it down might not be a good idea (it's likely that a lot of that protein will be burned as fuel or simply excreted).

One thing I read that was interesting is that the body may adapt to lower or higher levels of protein. That is to say that someone who doesn't eat as much protein will be better at 'getting the most of' the protein that person does eat. Conversely, a bodybuilder megadosing on 100's of grams of protein will have a harder time getting as much out of the same amount of protein as the former individual.

I agree with many principles of the Paelo diet, but I just hate how the hardcore paleo diet pushers demonize dairy, grains, and legumes. Plus, how the hell could yams/sweet potatoes be bad, and something you should only eat occasionally? :icon_chee

I think the whole philosophy that if the didn't exist when grok was around, we shouldn't eat doesn't make any sense.

I'm all about eating healthy foods from all food groups. I do believe a low carb, plus of healthy fats, and moderate to high protein diet is best, and grains (unprocessed grains) are tolerated best in the mornings or PWO, but there are those who can get away with eating grains anytime.

I just really like the Precision Nutrition way of eating. If I was going to push a way of eating on anyone, I would such suggest PN style.

I've actually spent some time looking up more info on this subject. While the 'only 30g in one sitting' statement is usually agreed upon as untrue, anything higher than that his hazy. It's hard to arbitrarily put it at one number, since body sizes are different and people metabolize macros a bit different too. I'm sure the 300 lbs guy will be able to absorb more protein than the chick 1/3rd the size.

Also, the rate at which the protein is digested matters. Drinking 100g of whey and other fast acting proteins without any fat or fiber to slow it down might not be a good idea (it's likely that a lot of that protein will be burned as fuel or simply excreted).

One thing I read that was interesting is that the body may adapt to lower or higher levels of protein. That is to say that someone who doesn't eat as much protein will be better at 'getting the most of' the protein that person does eat. Conversely, a bodybuilder megadosing on 100's of grams of protein will have a harder time getting as much out of the same amount of protein as the former individual.

There are several sources in books, on the web, rumors being passed in the gyms, etc. about having a protein cap per meal that's absorbable. It's just an old myth spawned incorrectly from old research data. It's not true at all. The body is pretty efficient at absorbing protein and the bottom line is that the more you eat the longer it takes to digest and that's it. What the protein is used for after it's absorbed might be questionable... but it will be absorbed and used in some manner.

Lyle

I digest milk and dairy fine. But most folks from this camp I thought would tell me we weren't designed to drink the milk of another animal. Although I love the taste occasionally, and often need it on my Kashi cereal (I know, I know) I just thought I should find a more evolutionarily adaptive alternative. :icon_chee

I agree with many principles of the Paelo diet, but I just hate how the hardcore paleo diet pushers demonize dairy, grains, and legumes. Plus, how the hell could yams/sweet potatoes be bad, and something you should only eat occasionally? :icon_chee

I think the whole philosophy that if the didn't exist when grok was around, we shouldn't eat doesn't make any sense.

I'm all about eating healthy foods from all food groups. I do believe a low carb, plus of healthy fats, and moderate to high protein diet is best, and grains (unprocessed grains) are tolerated best in the mornings or PWO, but there are those who can get away with eating grains anytime.

I just really like the Precision Nutrition way of eating. If I was going to push a way of eating on anyone, I would such suggest PN style.

I agree, except for the feed every 2-3 hours. I think that the majority of people, especially the non-athletic population, can not sustain that. Hell I have trouble sustaining it. I do just fine on 2-4 meals a day.

I agree, except for the feed every 2-3 hours. I think that the majority of people, especially the non-athletic population, can not sustain that. Hell I have trouble sustaining it. I do just fine on 2-4 meals a day.

Good point, I agree. I think it also depends on your goals (fat loss, maintenance, or bulking).

Personally, I'm bulking right now, so I need to eat at least 6 times a day. I just have 3 meals, and 3 snacks.

I think eating how you feel is fine enough. I eat 5-6 times a day naturally, no forcing it down. I do keep an active lifestyle as prescribed by Keath Wassung.

Back