What is the PEAK year/decade for happiness?

anything precovid looks amazing, but peak for me was 2005-2010 due to financial stability and amazing travels

Which year/decade would you say is the peak year/decade for happiness?

I listened to 1980s music for a long time, then switched over to 90s music and something happened there. The tone has changed a lot. Went from super happy music to depressing music like Nirvana or angry music like hip-hop.

I switched back to listening to 80s.

The 90s. Grunge and gangsta rap Is early 90s and a lot happened besides those 2 things in that decade. Punk and ska and all types of alternative and indie stuff was also goin on and a lot of that stuff has a much brighter sound.

The 90s were the best . But there was also a strange end of the party kind of vibe. Felt like living in a movie .

I listened to 1980s music for a long time, then switched over to 90s music and something happened there. The tone has changed a lot. Went from super happy music to depressing music like Nirvana or angry music like hip-hop.

I was going to say every decade. But, then I realized you weren't talking about one's own life, but pop music instead.

For happy music, I think late 50s-early 60's can compete with the 80s.

The song lyrics are negative but you cant help but feel good listening to this one

Pac is overflowing with glee to be smashing Biggie and having his little homies do it too. Definitely different from A Simple Plan or whoever desperately trying to channel misery into their voice and delivery.

New Jack Swing in the early 90s was kind of the last gasp of that 80s vibe...

New Jack Swing in the early 90s was kind of the last gasp of that 80s vibe...

80s rap was fun. I was reading an article about rapstars from the 80s and when the 90s rolled around with gangsta rap, these guys who were selling millions of records all of a sudden couldn't get producers to return their calls. They all said it was like a light switch had been flipped even though just last year, they were killing it. It was like the entire industry rather than the consumers decided that we are done with this stuff.

80s rap was fun. I was reading an article about rapstars from the 80s and when the 90s rolled around with gangsta rap, these guys who were selling millions of records all of a sudden couldn't get producers to return their calls. They all said it was like a light switch had been flipped even though just last year, they were killing it. It was like the entire industry rather than the consumers decided that we are done with this stuff.

Yeah Hammer tried to go gangster and didn't sound that bad but just couldn't make the transition.

Most of the early big names like Kool Moe Dee and Run DMC and The Fat Boys and even Heavy D sounded pretty primitive once the new breed came along. Rapping twice as fast and also the talented ones like 2Pac were basically like stand up comedians with their lyrics as well.

It just sounded silly to look back and hear the Sugarhill Gang rapping about how their friend's Mom was bad at cooking or whatever. Some comedian had a bit about that...can't remember who but it was pretty good.

I like all that old stuff pre gangster but come the mid 90s they were like salmon and trout trying to swim with sharks. I guess the same thing kind of happened with techno / synth artists like Gary Numan or Kraftwerk once that genre shifted. Something like Gary Numan / Cars could probably never have been a hit other than exactly when it came out.

Yeah Hammer tried to go gangster and didn't sound that bad but just couldn't make the transition.

Most of the early big names like Kool Moe Dee and Run DMC and The Fat Boys and even Heavy D sounded pretty primitive once the new breed came along. Rapping twice as fast and also the talented ones like 2Pac were basically like stand up comedians with their lyrics as well.

It just sounded silly to look back and hear the Sugarhill Gang rapping about how their friend's Mom was bad at cooking or whatever. Some comedian had a bit about that...can't remember who but it was pretty good.

I like all that old stuff pre gangster but come the mid 90s they were like salmon and trout trying to swim with sharks. I guess the same thing kind of happened with techno / synth artists like Gary Numan or Kraftwerk once that genre shifted. Something like Gary Numan / Cars could probably never have been a hit other than exactly when it came out.

There is part of me that wonders if this was in response to producers getting burned by disco. I think the death of disco was intrinsically linked to the AIDS epidemic and the right wing getting stick in their ass about anything sexual or gay. There is a lot of bad disco music (Kiss is so bad and maybe had one good song their entire careers), which is like any other genre, but there is a lot of it that was fun and slapped pretty hard.

There is part of me that wonders if this was in response to producers getting burned by disco. I think the death of disco was intrinsically linked to the AIDS epidemic and the right wing getting stick in their ass about anything sexual or gay. There is a lot of bad disco music (Kiss is so bad and maybe had one good song their entire careers), which is like any other genre, but there is a lot of it that was fun and slapped pretty hard.

I dig disco. Claudja Barry, Donna Summer had some good stuff, Arabesque a good song or two.

I can probably name ten Kiss songs I would be happy to hear. Only disco one that comes to mind is I Was Made for Loving You though.

I dig disco. Claudja Barry, Donna Summer had some good stuff, Arabesque a good song or two.

I can probably name ten Kiss songs I would be happy to hear. Only disco one that comes to mind is I Was Made for Loving You though.

I think you are right about Kiss. I think it got burned into my head because it was one of their biggest hits and I just avoided their music because they looked and sounded stupid.

Back