What other fighters have done so much with so little like Derrick Lewis?

He's a scary gorilla. Almost as scary as prime Bob Sapp.

He's a scary gorilla. Almost as scary as prime Bob Sapp.
Derrick wins a lot of fights. Sapp lost more than half in both kickboxing and MMA. I'd say that would make Derrick scarier to an opponent in the cage. In the street though, Sapp's size could be more intimidating.

Derrick wins a lot of fights. Sapp lost more than half in both kickboxing and MMA. I'd say that would make Derrick scarier to an opponent in the cage. In the street though, Sapp's size could be more intimidating.
Sapp started taking dives for money later in his career.

When he actually tried, he was scary af.

I mean he went into kickboxing with hardly any experience and beat the breaks off one of the greatest HW kickboxers ever in Ernesto Hoost. Twice. He piledrove prime Big Nog on his head like he was a toddler.

That's what he could do in his prime with his sheer size and power.

I don't think there has been a fighter who comes close to Derrick Lewis when it comes to accomplishing so much with so little. The guys is as 1 dimensional as it gets. A wild brawler always waiting for 1 shot. No strategy, no game plan, generally bad fight iq. Overweight and below average cardio. The list of what's wrong with Lewis is like 10x the list of what's right with Derrick lewis. But here he is kicking ass again. Flat lining everyone but the absolute best.

So can you think of another fighter who sucks as bad is beast but gets mostly good results?

His skill set is constantly underrated because he's fat and he tends to have sloppy fights. He can take a pretty good shot, has gigantic power late in fights (where you say he's gassed), has an excellent ability to stand up from underneath fighters by force of will, and when he has you hurt he never lets you off the hook. He's dangerous at all times. He's underrated as fuck, he's been in there with everybody.

That’s underselling Lewis, he has a lot going for him but is simply lazy and underachieves, Ngannou has the same one dimensional strategy and got the belt doing it. In fact he could be in Ngannous seat right now if he had the same doctors and chemists, and liked fried chicken slightly less.

Racist.

It is a misconception that Derrick Lewis is not skilled.

Punches don't land by magic or dumb luck, particularly ko punches against top 10 ranked fighters in the world. Which by the way I believe he has the most in UFC history.

Derrick Lewis stays on feet too. That's called wrestling. Most fighters would prefer not to be eating his knuckle sandwiches.

On the rare occasions that he gets taken down he usually gets up without being hurt or submitted. That's grappling/BJJ.

He's an absolute monster with crushing power. I don't let his funny/self-deprecating schtick blind me to the fact that he's a very good fighter.

Lewis has more heart than just about anybody, he only loses to the top of the food chain and even has wins over a couple of them

Lewis has heart but not more heart than anybody—actually his durability is a mixed bag.

He has an amazing chin (never seen him get wobbled) and *decent* heart. I say decent and not amazing because his heart is limited by his subpar cardio. He's not like guys like Clay Guida or Stipe who will be able to spam takedowns after getting badly hurt. When he is gassed, he really can't do anything other than shell up, and that's all of his TKO losses since he's never been out cold.

This also leads to another disadvantage—his pain tolerance. Not that his pain tolerance is bad (he is a professional fighter after all) but for his tank fighting style his pain tolerance is relatively low. You can see in both his face and body language every time he is hurt, and it's obvious that he doesn't enjoy getting hit like other tanky fighters e.g. Gaethje or Mark Hunt. This is disadvantageous for his fighting style which makes him an easy target for ranged strikes.

I don’t agree with the OP wholeheartedly; BB has insane power and legendary get-up ability. He’s not the epitome of well roundedness or skill, but he certainly has some attributes to work with. With that said, Forrest accomplished a lot without any sort of pedigree.

Lewis has alot going for him. The only skills he needs to improve are cardio and technique. Power, size, durability he has in spades. Basically he is a very well rounded HW missing a few of the top notch ingredients.
Gane and Ngannou are pretty much Lewis only competition and you act like he is a scrub.

I don't think people know what they are looking at/ dealing with regarding Lewis.

Dude is a freak and a terrifying guy to match up with. You better bring something special to the table if you are gonna deal with Lewis.

I don't think there has been a fighter who comes close to Derrick Lewis when it comes to accomplishing so much with so little. The guys is as 1 dimensional as it gets. A wild brawler always waiting for 1 shot. No strategy, no game plan, generally bad fight iq. Overweight and below average cardio. The list of what's wrong with Lewis is like 10x the list of what's right with Derrick lewis. But here he is kicking ass again. Flat lining everyone but the absolute best.

So can you think of another fighter who sucks as bad is beast but gets mostly good results?

I’m going to say the opposite, Derrick was born or gifted with certain intangibles that are sometimes unattainable through years of training. He has these traits naturally, these are skills that other fighters wish for.

- True one shot KO power
- Good chin and durability
- Great finishing instinct
- Naturally Draft Horse strong
- Fearless in the pocket

The way he bamboozled Volkov was an excellent showing of fight IQ and the way he beat Blaydes was an excellent showing of gameplanning/strategy.

Yea ts is being way too hard on him lol

Back