What separates the men from the boys?

If you still live at home, you're still a child (unless you take care of sick parents)
Not sure I'd go that far. There's a lot of different factors that might come into play there. Maybe as a general indicator though.

As you get older, you realize that absolutely nothing separates us. Some of us just like to pretend.

tumblr_m6z74wuuFN1rvcjd7o1_250.gif

Your ability to fill the room with uppercuts and to pull women.

How much money?
To manage your needs. As a rule of thumb, never have more kids than you can care for. Never purchase your desires, if your family's basic needs aren't met. And never apply or use more credit than you can pay back in 1-2 years. (houses and cars are the except these days) And ALWAYS save 10% of your income every month, even if it breaks all the above rules. Your older self and your surviving children or loved ones will thank you in 20-40 years.

It depends on the culture. In some cultures, marriage is the initiation into manhood. In some cultures, leaving home and showing that you can be independent is. Other cultures have rituals that are manhood rites of passage. One of the most interesting, to me, is the bullet ant ritual among an Amazon people called the Satere-Mawe.

There are also those legal lines that separate children from men - the ages of consent that different countries have, the minimum age at which a person is tried as an adult in a court of law, or the ages when people are first allowed to drink alcohol or enlist in the military. And speaking of military, in some countries where it's mandatory to serve time in the military, that is often the manhood rite of passage. Once they've served their time in the military, they are most definitely men. They go in boys and come out men.

For me personally, having sex for the first time was my initiation into manhood.

Last edited:
Back