What stuff in a country should always be government ran? Energy? Healthcare? Nothing

Should be government run: Military, education, police, fire, energy, utilities, infrastructure (roads, airports, rail, ports, etc.)

Should have a government presence: Healthcare.

Doesn’t matter. You’re going to get fucked either way.

I'm terrified of the answers here.

Roads and schools.
You pay for everything else.

Roads and school??? I have no kids... Why should I pay for you or your shitty ass children's education if you aren't using my tax dollars to my benefit as well?

Roads and school??? I have no kids... Why should I pay for you or your shitty ass children's education if you aren't using my tax dollars to my benefit as well?
How would living in a country full of uneducated people be to your benefit?

How would living in a country full of uneducated people be to your benefit?

Most of them won’t be able to afford healthcare so none of them will be alive to bother me...

Are we drawing a distinction between government controlled and heavily regulated?
There are a lot of things I think are fine under private control so long as they are regulated and scrutinized properly.

You mean government 'run'. In Brazil? Everything. Military, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, railroad, aviation, space, schools, and prison.

Tell the rest of the folks why Brazil never really developed a railroad system of transportation. A country bigger than the continental U.S. relying only on the trucking and airline industry to move things around.

Brazil has failed in many areas due to poor leadership and corruption but a few areas have succeeded:

. Varig airlines (Germans) - great while it lasted.
. Embraer - airplanes. 70% of shares have now been bought by Boeing.
. Steel industry
. Space program
. Taurus Firearms
. Nuclear program - reactor (developed, built, but not used) and potential bomb (development stopped -- 1 to 3 years to completion).

Brazil has huge deposits of Uranium ore. During the final years of military rule, early 1980's, it had already enriched enough uranium (U235) for one experimental bomb. It was much further ahead than Iran is today. "...we find that Brazil's 'Resende' enrichment facility completes the front end of Brazil's nuclear fuel cycle."

How is that huge oil production project off the coast of Rio de Janeiro going (pre-salt)? Has Petrobras managed to find, drill, and pump any oil?
LOL at mentioning Taurus firearms as a success. They have a HORRID reputation, in the US some dealers wont even honor them any more because of the atrocious rate of malfunction. Sure they have interesting designs but just google search Taurus and quality control and you will get an education. I honestly wish they were good, as some of their guns look good .

Welfare. Because no private entity would allow that much profit loss. We only need to be better at encouraging work for able bodied recipients.

First things that come to mind are public utilities like drinking water treatment/distribution, wastewater collection/treatment and solid waste management.

Private utilities function just fine as regulated monopolies.

So you don't live in a city full of uneducated trash like you.

LOL at mentioning Taurus firearms as a success. They have a HORRID reputation, in the US some dealers wont even honor them any more because of the atrocious rate of malfunction.

Opinions vary my friend. Depends on the gun. The copy of the Beretta 92 is considered decent, as are the revolvers, but the polymer framed handguns seem to have more issues. Taurus does not make expensive products compared to other companies.

"Taurus handguns, both pistols and revolvers, used to be the scourge of the gun world. But not now. The company has undergone many transitions, trades, acquisitions and changes in technology. In 1980 the company purchased Beretta's Sao Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs. Taurus Arms is one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world, using cutting edge technology and smart manufacturing (holding prices to reasonable levels). They continue to turn out excellent revolvers and pistols."

Point being that Brazil makes its own weaponry, both for civilian and military use. They went the way of the French. Much of what the Brazilian Army uses is made inhouse, not purchased from other countries.

While governments usually tend to make things more expensive, you always have to compare it to "for profit" private enterprise.

Healthcare is certainly doing much better in the hands of governments.

You mean government 'run'. In Brazil? Everything. Military, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, railroad, aviation, space, schools, and prison.

Tell the rest of the folks why Brazil never really developed a railroad system of transportation. A country bigger than the continental U.S. relying only on the trucking and airline industry to move things around.

Brazil has failed in many areas due to poor leadership and corruption but a few areas have succeeded:

. Varig airlines (Germans) - great while it lasted.
. Embraer - airplanes. 70% of shares have now been bought by Boeing.
. Steel industry
. Space program
. Taurus Firearms
. Nuclear program - reactor (developed, built, but not used) and potential bomb (development stopped -- 1 to 3 years to completion).

Brazil has huge deposits of Uranium ore. During the final years of military rule, early 1980's, it had already enriched enough uranium (U235) for one experimental bomb. It was much further ahead than Iran is today. "...we find that Brazil's 'Resende' enrichment facility completes the front end of Brazil's nuclear fuel cycle."

How is that huge oil production project off the coast of Rio de Janeiro going (pre-salt)? Has Petrobras managed to find, drill, and pump any oil?
What is your point, that these things should be privatized or nationalized? Because you posted a mix of stuff, Taurus is private, Space program is not.

After seeing the disaster that privatisation run amok has caused in the UK, as many public resources as humanely possible should be kept out of the grasps of for profit industry.

This includes, Railways/Transport, Energy companies, Healthcare, Postal service, Prisons, Military etc.,

The great railway privatisation was one of the biggest con jobs ever pulled on the UK public, and still the public trusted them(Tories) to sell off Royal Mail (undervalue too), and parts of the NHS etc.,

Not to mention the private prison contractors (G4S, Serco) caught out defrauding the government.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back