What was Hitler's biggest mistake in WWII?

Was Operation Barbarossa his biggest mistake?

• Yes it was.

• No it wasn't.

Results are only viewable after voting.
No dumb-ass I'm talking about military jets that were engaging the enemy. We have already covered the 'Gloster Meteor' and the 'P-80' on a previous thread. Yeah, I know, you know your history and have your own opinions, like everyone else, but you are also a troll and an 'asshole' on the way you respond to other members. I don't really see the need for that.

I already covered the pros and cons of the V-2 on a previous post.

Again, the point of the Me-262, the V-2, and the German nuclear program is that they all lagged behind in development and resources. They were not given the priority they deserved prior to 1939. Use America's bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as an example of how Americans brought the Japanese war to an end using a 'super' weapon.

"Lise Meitner (female) was an Austrian-Swedish physicist who worked on radioactivity and nuclear physics. Meitner, Otto Hahn and Otto Robert Frisch led the small group of scientists who first discovered nuclear fission of uranium when it absorbed an extra neutron; the results were published in early 1939."

So, again, Germany could have invested more time and resources on their nuclear project but chose not to do it. They could have pushed their timeline up.

What are you talking about the Meteor was in combat operations and was shooting down V-1 bombs, as well as serving in a ground attack role later on and base defense. The reason they didn't do more was they were forbidden from flying over German occupied territory most of the war.

The only positive of the V2 was it was such a huge waste of time and resources that it could have actually contributed to shortening the war.

And LOL at them actually having a chance and getting the bomb that would have been a bigger waste of time than the V2.

how about slaughtering the Ukrainians instead of arming them to attack Russia?

Basically waging a war of genocide is going to assure that nobody has a reason to surrender and populations in occupied territory will resist more and more.

Do you even know who Robert Goddard is?
Very good! But, Goddard's work is merely 'fireworks' rockets. I did the same thing as a teenager. They lacked direction and control (a gyroscope) and did not hit any targets. Yeah, Goddard was so influential that his work in America did not help NASA in putting a man in space. NASA needed a Nazi to accomplish that.

so its his generals thought Hitler might be hopping Britain would surrender? There was not going to be peace between Britain and Germany past 39 for sure not after 1940 with the loss of the battle of Britain. There were no real attempts at peace after 1939 thats fact.

Yes, I know. That's why I said it stopped at the blitz.

And no, it wasn't just his generals. That's one source I provided with a specific book. I've read the exact same thing in several books over the years, and there's certainly enough historical fact to suggest it was very likely.

This is why people don't bother providing sources. They've never good enough.

Bingo. Even if the British navy & air force didn't exist, there's no way for the Germans to get their men & equipment across the channel. When you literally don't have an operational landing craft and the plan was to use tugboats to tow the army across on fucking river barges, yeah. Yeah. Not happening. You could literally sink the invasion fleet with a few squadrons of PT boats.

One of the advantages of living on an island.

Very good! But, Goddard's work is merely 'fireworks' rockets. I did the same thing as a teenager. They lacked direction and control (a gyroscope) and did not hit any targets. Yeah, Goddard was so influential that his work in America did not help NASA in putting a man in space. NASA needed a Nazi to accomplish that.

Except Goddard started to use gyoscopic guidance in 1931 so thats just wrong. And saying he only used "firework" rockets is just a bitch attempt to discredit his work because you are wrong. He flew the first multi chambered rocket in 1936 thats a pretty big deal. He died in 1945 but saying his work was not influential when your hero says otherwise just shows how much a Nazi tech wank you are.

<LikeReally5>

Oh, the 'Japan didn't have a choice' meme.

Iran and North Korea now are the most-sanctioned countries on the planet, so that means they are no longer responsible for their actions when they nuke other nations.

<YeahOKJen>
Kind of actually.

Yes, I know. That's why I said it stopped at the blitz.

And no, it wasn't just his generals. That's one source I provided with a specific book. I've read the exact same thing in several books over the years, and there's certainly enough historical fact to suggest it was very likely.

This is why people don't bother providing sources. They've never good enough.

I know there were people in the UK government that didn't want to go to war but to go as far to say there was almost a alliance to fight the USSR. That seems a bit far fetched. I have never seen any real evidence that would support anything like that.

I know there were people in the UK government that didn't want to go to war but to go as far to say there was almost a alliance to fight the USSR. That seems a bit far fetched. I have never seen any real evidence that would support anything like that.

I didn't say there was almost an alliance. I said Hitler believed there would inevitably be one and that he desired it to his detriment. Chamberlain's appeasement made it look possible, although it never was.

The Germans didn't have landing craft. And no mother shios to cross the channel in. It was impossible.

They had 4 invasion flotillas ready to go. This is common knowledge

Hitler has to divert attention and resources to Russia bc the Russians didn’t mind using their young men as bullet sponges

so its his generals thought Hitler might be hopping Britain would surrender? There was not going to be peace between Britain and Germany past 39 for sure not after 1940 with the loss of the battle of Britain. There were no real attempts at peace after 1939 thats fact.

Good God! Do they teach this bullshit in UK PUblic schools or something?

It’s incorrect and smacks of UK propaganda. Or who knows where you go it from.

His biggest mistake? Being a terrible enough human being to do any of what he did in the first place.

I believe the invasion of the Soviet Union was Hitler biggest mistake. Trying to conquer such an immense size of land is absolutely daunting. There was about 20 million Soviet soldiers that they had to face. Plus the vicious weather at that time of their invasion made it much more daunting. The Germans also spread their forces thin by putting much of their military resources focused on the eastern front. It was just an impossible task to complete.
he might have been successful if he built a bigger amount of tanks instead of wasting time and resources on gimmicky giant tanks and guns. the soviets won because they had a ton of tanks.

I didn't say there was almost an alliance. I said Hitler believed there would inevitably be one and that he desired it to his detriment. Chamberlain's appeasement made it look possible, although it never was.

Oh okay I was thinking you were trying to say something else.

Good God! Do they teach this bullshit in UK PUblic schools or something?

It’s incorrect and smacks of UK propaganda. Or who knows where you go it from.

I least I went to school there champ

he might have been successful if he built a bigger amount of tanks instead of wasting time and resources on gimmicky giant tanks and guns. the soviets won because they had a ton of tanks.

The Soviets forced the Germans to make bigger tanks. Kv-1s and kv2s were roaming the battlefield. The T34 was eating the mark IVs lunch.

The IS series started to come out later on as well.

The Germans couldn’t penetrate the armor with their normal tanks.

The Soviet’s had monsters on the battlefield, so the Germans had to make theirs.

We America’s just kept putting different barrels on our Sherman’s. Even though our T29s and M6s were coming around. Making the shitty Sherman look like a Stuart.

The Soviets forced the Germans to make bigger tanks. Kv-1s and kv2s were roaming the battlefield. The T34 was eating the mark IVs lunch.

The IS series started to come out later on as well.

The Germans couldn’t penetrate the armor with their normal tanks.

The Soviet’s had monsters on the battlefield, so the Germans had to make theirs.

We America’s just kept putting different barrels on our Sherman’s. Even though our T29s and M6s were coming around. Making the shitty Sherman look like a Stuart.
I was referring to this monstrosity the germans wasted time and resources on and other gimmick weapons. when they could have been building thousands of tanks

panzer-ratte.png

the soviets had way more tanks because of their strategy of quantity over quality,germans needed way more tanks than they built.

I was referring to this monstrosity the germans wasted time and resources on and other gimmick weapons. when they could have been building thousands of tanks

panzer-ratte.png

the soviets had way more tanks because of their strategy of quantity over quality,germans needed way more tanks than they built.

Stalin literally said that, "Quantity has a Quality all of it's own". And he was right, of course. Germany vs Russia was a Middleweight against a Heavyweight. The Soviets had a limitless supply of cannon fodder and no hesitation about using it to drown the Nazis in blood.

Back