what will become of BJJ in 10 years?

With all the instructionals and online teaching out there, people may begin to start their own clubs with friends. Save that extra $150 a month and learn from whatever instructor they wish.

due to new skin diseases and mutant offshoots of the flesh eating virus, there will be no more contact, but personal space with be defended

cobrinha is already preparing his students for the first Air BJJ tournament as we speak

i have faith in this sport. the rest of you should to. some of these comments r dissappointing to see

maybe bjj will disappear and karate will be at the forefront of the martial arts image.

everything comes full motherfucking circle ammirite?

I don't think it will be all that different than today to be honest. Instead of 3 gyms in an area there may be 5. Instead of 1 gym being run by a black belt and the other 2 by brown belts, most will be run by black belts. Other than that...not that different.

In ten years, there will be a lot more different federations running their own competitions with their own rules.

so you will the creation of different branches of BJJ.

of course you still see the branches of the original GJJ.

there will be lot more BB teaching so the prices of your average BJJ clubs will be the same as Judo while still having the expensive club run by world champions.

MMA will be a sport of its own and will become massive.

Each countries will start developing their own style of Jiu Jitsu. like the French and Russians are known to haver their own style of Judo.

As long as commentators in UFC keep using the word Jiu Jitsu and terminology, it is free advertising for BJJ clubs but consumers will become more savy and might be attracted towards mma clubs instead of a BJJ club.

Basically, if you think to get your BB in BJJ and become as rich as your current BJJ instructor, I do not think it is gonna be the case in 10 years time.
Came across this thread trying to find info on a bjj gym near me and this popped up. 10 years later, Has your prediction come true?

due to new skin diseases and mutant offshoots of the flesh eating virus, there will be no more contact, but personal space with be defended

cobrinha is already preparing his students for the first Air BJJ tournament as we speak

Eerie precognition from back in 2012 and that is next level shit from the dude at 0:13 with god tier head movement. Imagine starting a roll from the feet and your rolling partner busts out with this. No can defend.

Last edited:
Just to ad to my post..
The number of bjj clubs have massively increased in my town and country.
Regarding new federation, Adcc has an international federation which promotes their rules and competitions around the world.
Regarding bjj getting the local flavour. American jiu jitsu is a good example of a movement within the style.

Just to ad to my post..
The number of bjj clubs have massively increased in my town and country.
Regarding new federation, Adcc has an international federation which promotes their rules and competitions around the world.
Regarding bjj getting the local flavour. American jiu jitsu is a good example of a movement within the style.

I dunno about prices going down but there are definitely more sub only events, EBI, Polaris etc.

IBJJF finally gave up on reaping but only in black belt no gi, they'll still call you knee reaping in masters gi.

Not so fast.. I'm only brown belch so 10 years to black belch isn't for everyone

I dunno about prices going down but there are definitely more sub only events, EBI, Polaris etc.

IBJJF finally gave up on reaping but only in black belt no gi, they'll still call you knee reaping in masters gi.
Prices won't drop but there is lot more supply to demand. So there is an option to cheaper option but of course the top name will still charge accordingly

I don't think it will be all that different than today to be honest. Instead of 3 gyms in an area there may be 5. Instead of 1 gym being run by a black belt and the other 2 by brown belts, most will be run by black belts. Other than that...not that different.
Always funny to see your old posts. This was a pretty safe prediction and I think it has mostly come to pass.

With all the instructionals and online teaching out there, people may begin to start their own clubs with friends. Save that extra $150 a month and learn from whatever instructor they wish.
This. Considering to opt out of my gym after I get a few reliable rolling partners. Why pay extra $150 while they are ripping of gordon's/danahar material anyway?Paying for rolling partners at this point.

This. Considering to opt out of my gym after I get a few reliable rolling partners. Why pay extra $150 while they are ripping of gordon's/danahar material anyway?Paying for rolling partners at this point.

I've always believed you need legit in-person coaching to get to blue (and maybe purple) but after that, you might actually be better off just watching vids that fit your game and doing open mat with dedicated partners (who are also looking up their own shit and introducing you to new techniques). As it is, I mostly look up vids on my own anyway. Of course, there's a social element to going to class which would be hard to replace.

I've always believed you need legit in-person coaching to get to blue (and maybe purple) but after that, you might actually be better off just watching vids that fit your game and doing open mat with dedicated partners (who are also looking up their own shit and introducing you to new techniques). As it is, I mostly look up vids on my own anyway. Of course, there's a social element to going to class which would be hard to replace.

funny you say that about after getting blue and purple. I experienced the same thing. The classes were repetitive and nothing new was learned. It wasn’t until I found instructionals, I found enjoyment again

funny you say that about after getting blue and purple. I experienced the same thing. The classes were repetitive and nothing new was learned. It wasn’t until I found instructionals, I found enjoyment again

+100

I learn new stuff sometimes but it's usually in the context of my rolling partner doing a familiar technique slightly differently than I've seen and that's best done in an open mat setting of rolling, being surprised by something, asking other guy what he did and then incorporating it into your game and figuring out how to counter it.

I do not enjoy bowing to the mat, lining up by belt order, doing endless warm ups or having to address anyone as "Professor" who doesn't have a PhD and is grading my midterms. I just want everyone to STFU, warm up on their own for 5 minutes and then start rolling (preferably starting from standing) so I can try out the cool shit I just saw Marcelo/Faria/Eduardo Telles/Travis Stevens/Karel Pravec/Firas/Stephan Kesting do in the video I just looked up.

Good rolling and drilling partners are hard too get. It's better that they are at least watching some DVD rather the teaching some outdated stuff.

Good rolling and drilling partners are hard too get. It's better that they are at least watching some DVD rather the teaching some outdated stuff.

For sure and I agree with @CI that after a certain point, paying a gym is paying for qualified rolling partners. It's like speed dating where everyone pays the organizer for the forum to meet and interact with each other.

Last edited:
Back