What would it take for you to move across the country?

I'm from Louisiana. Leaving was an easy decision once I got a good job offer. Other than some solid food, Louisiana doesn't have a lot going for it.

If you can afford to live here, you should stay. Admittingly California is not great for people who don't make a lot and can't afford it, but being in your situation why would you want to leave. I'm in the same situation.. I'm not rich but my wife and I do very well, own a nice house and don't have kids. Plus my wife works union state job so she wants to retire with CDCR and collect that full pension. I work in tech and there's a lot of opportunity for what I do here and I get paid very well as it is.

It's possible we might move in 17 years when she's eligible for full retirement, but I still don't want to leave lol.
I love that for you sherbro and couldn’t agree more.
It’s definitely sink or swim in Southern California and the wealth gap is enormous but it is the land of limitless opportunity for those that have hustle and drive and can make it. I completely understand people that dislike it here (for a myriad of reasons mostly the cost of living). Although there was a reason miners headed west for gold. There is zero ceiling for how far you can make it here if you get around the right people. I do not have a college degree, I fucked off most of my life but I am in a position today I never would have imagined. The access to wealth and opportunities here is unlike anywhere else in the world I have been.

In NY (for example) there is obviously a ton of wealth but the access is largely predicated on:

what school you graduated from?

who your family is?

what firm you work for?

LA isn’t like that at all, it is truly a hustlers paradise. I have friends from every walk of life imaginable from old hood friends in south central to literally Bezos next door neighbor (who Is like a mentor to me and we just met randomly at a BH lunch spot years ago) and everything in between. I have done everything here from working as a bartender in my 20’s, to now starting 15 million dollar business projects from my friend group just bootstrapping investment with 2 high net worth buddies of mine. Not once has anyone asked me what Ivy League school I attended. If you have a big idea, fleshed out and with solid projections and contacts you can do anything in this town (also not trying to convince anyone to enter over saturated marketplaces without a unique value proposition). The access to immense wealth is staggering to say the least. The most important part is putting yourself out there and grabbing windows of opportunity. This isn’t a place for idle hands you need to take steps towards having the life you want in a place where the cost of living is otherworldly. If you can make it out here you can make it anywhere.

I lived across different countries when I was younger and had no real responsibility. I’d do it again for the adventure but that’s not going to fly these days. Also pretty happy to stay put.

I genuinely feel bad for people who have only lived in one place or country. Take the time to explore.

I moved cross country last year. Left Vegas after 30 years there in public education and came back to NY state where I grew up. I only came back here because my parents are here and are in their 80s. Otherwise, I would have gone elsewhere.

It would be extremely difficult for me to move across county when I'm in California and it's the only state I want to live in not named Hawaii. The majority of my family is also in Hawaii so going to the East Coast would put me out even further. It would take an extremely higher paying job (like double or more) that's extremely flexible and secure. On top of that it would also need to give me very good benefits and a lot of leave/vacation that I can take liberally. Basically it would need be an unrealistic job to make that type of jump.

If you count Hawaii as moving across the country then I would do it if jobs could be lined up for both my wife and I (preferably continue in a federal job), 25-35% pay increase for both with potential for further growth. I would then sell my rental home and primary home and drop down a large down payment on a $1.5-1.75 mil home. A few more stars would ideally have to align, but that would be the general gist of it.

I'd think the first thing needed would be a UHaul.
<mma4>

Roots too deep here, not going anywhere.

#3 Would be the only one. I only live in Texas because of my family. Otherwise I'd move to pretty much the best state I could find with legal weed. Maybe Colorado but I hate snow so not sure I could do it.

i'd like to move to Dubai for no other reason than.

crDVdYH.gif

Bn1ZPHv.gif

1. A job offer for 25% more pay?
2. A girl (or guy) you met online and want to marry? (Or just bang a lot and never marry)
3. Your family members moved away and you want to follow them?
4. To get a fresh start?
5. A local drug dealer threatens your life because you stole 20k from him?

Or something else?

What would it take?

The right job (and living spot), I'm not attached to here.

The only other one would be #5. However, this scenario wouldn't happen, but to entertain the prompt, I'd leave so me or my loved ones wouldn't get harmed.

No debt, kids, or significant other.

Find me on some commune wallowing in the dirt with all the crusty hippie chicks.

Living that On the Road lifestyle.

1. A job offer for 25% more pay?
2. A girl (or guy) you met online and want to marry? (Or just bang a lot and never marry)
3. Your family members moved away and you want to follow them?
4. To get a fresh start?
5. A local drug dealer threatens your life because you stole 20k from him?

Or something else?

What would it take?
An atomic bomb, pretty much.

Across the country for me is California, Oregon, Washington. All three Democratic Cess Pools that have a stupidly high cost of living ratio. Might as well just stay in CT.

Back