Whats a more impressive title defense? Koscheck or Leon Edwards

ArtardFiesta

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Since people like to debate gsp vs usman... what is the more impressive title defense here?

Kos was at the top of his game and many would say this is one of gsp top performances and toughest opponents.

Leon edwards many are not excited about, but almost everyone thinks he destroys koscheck.

Interesting question because I see people here compare the burns title defense to matt sera, colby to matt hughes and masvidal to dan hardy and jason miller.

i suppose leon edwards looks impressive on paper, but in the overal goat debate usman still lacks depth.

GSP also defended against - bj penn, jon fitch, thiago alves, jake shields, condit, nick diaz, and hendricks. also finishes off his career winning the mw belt.

usman just doens't have that added depth gsp does and financially doesn't need to stay around long enough for that.

Prime Koscheck was a damn good win. I’d say him because of his wrestling. Leon isn’t a wrestler so it’s not as impressive imo. GSP went out there and wrestlefucked a NCAA division 1 wrestler.
Agreed. Koscheck won a D-1 wrestling national championship and his other three years he came in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. D-1 All American all 4 years. Koscheck was a very athletic wrestler. He was also a very solid MMA fighter until the bottom fell out which happens to many older fighters. Knowing when to exit is a big part of your legacy. Hanging around and getting beaten up on the downside of the career is not a good thing. Ask BJ Penn who was one of the best MMA fighters of all time in his prime and a bum on the downside. Father Time will always remain unbeaten...

Koscheck at the time was a force. I get it, things have changed through the years. But those performances against koscheck were impressive for several different reasons. Leon is good, but not somebody that GSP would have had trouble grounding

Last edited:
Since people like to debate gsp vs usman... what is the more impressive title defense here?

Kos was at the top of his game and many would say this is one of gsp top performances and toughest opponents.

Leon edwards many are not excited about, but almost everyone thinks he destroys koscheck.

Interesting question because I see people here compare the burns title defense to matt sera, colby to matt hughes and masvidal to dan hardy and jason miller.

i suppose leon edwards looks impressive on paper, but in the overal goat debate usman still lacks depth.

GSP also defended against - bj penn, jon fitch, thiago alves, jake shields, condit, nick diaz, and hendricks. also finishes off his career winning the mw belt.

usman just doens't have that added depth gsp does and financially doesn't need to stay around long enough for that.
Not sure who thinks Leon destroys Koscheck, not that the fantasy comparisons matter.

Prime Thiago Alves was a nightmare. He wasn't the same after USADA.

Edwards by a considerable margin. He doesn't have any emasculating losses (he was DQ'd on the regional scene for KO'ing his opponent with an illegal knee, he fought a Brazilian in Brazil to a split decision, and he went to decision with a welterweight GOAT candidate). His win over Luque has aged very well. He knocked down Gunnar Nelson and took him down several times as well. He took down RDA multiple times. He took down Tumenov and submitted him.

Koscheck had been dropped and finished several times in devestating fashion before his title shot. Rumble had lost several times at welterweight before fighting Koscheck, including being submitted by Rich Clementi who was 1-3 in the UFC at the time.

tumblr_nhu2b6q4vd1rofocqo1_400.gif

tumblr_olyppfmPyW1rofocqo1_400.gifv

giphy.gif

Edwards is a much better fighter than Kos, outside of athletic ability and a strong wrestling pedigree, Kos was a very rudimentary fighter. Kos didn't live up to his potential. Poor fight IQ, poor defence, suspect chin, mediocre striking.

Edwards already has a superior resume...Koschecks most notable wins are Paul Daley, an undefeated Diego Sanchez and then an old Hughes and a 170lb Rumble Johnson. Not that impressive for someone of his potential and amateur wrestling accolades.

Last edited:
Back