What's it like at a Gracie academy?

cardkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've been training in bjj for over a year now but only ever trained at one club and although alot of people like to talk badly about the Gracie academy there is something that appeals to me about it.
Anyone able to tell me a bit about it?
What's the combatives class like for someone who is already experienced and what is the master cycle like once your on it?

It's like drinking a glass of water directly from the top of the waterfall my friend.

Quench your thirst my friend.

It's probably like watching one commercial after the next. Forever!

I've never been. But I imagine Acai stands in every room and water fountains filled with coconut water - a Helio picture right above each one. Every class probably starts with a GI/patch inspection, and ends with a Gracie breakdown. Of course, there are mandatory viewings of UFC1 every other weekend during open mat. Anyone that mentions Sakaruba gets shown the door immediately.

Last edited:
It's the real Jiu-Jitsu, my fren.

gracie11-376x668.jpg

Gracie-Academy-Intrutor-620x330.jpg

Last edited:
Is it really tedious doing Gracie combatives?
I think some aspects if their system is actually good and obviously serves as a foundation but without sparring it's a bit stale isn't it?

Straight from the source JJ as they like to say. Helio filtered techs and nothing else.

Is it really tedious doing Gracie combatives?
I think some aspects if their system is actually good and obviously serves as a foundation but without sparring it's a bit stale isn't it?

One thing that's undeniable is the fact that the Gracie bros are excellent teachers. I think the Combatives set is fine if you dont have any other options. But of course sparring is where it's at in BJJ and Combatives has none of that.

In my part of the world, the Gracie CTCs don't compete in local tourneys (maybe too sporty for them idk), and thus get the lols from other gyms.

I've never been. But I imagine Acai stands in every room and water fountains filled with coconut water, with a Helio picture right above them. Every class probably starts with a GI/patch inspection, and a short prayer to Helio, the savior. Mandatory viewings of UFC1 every other weekend during open mat. Anyone that mentions Sakaruba gets shown the door immediately.

:D

I think the Gracie system looks like it could be a good way to learn but like I said I want to do some sparring. My current club spar alot so it would be a big shock to go to class and not get into a war.
It's the master cycle I'm interested in but obviously you have to complete the combatives programme first.

I went to the old gracie academy several times when I was younger . I would go for a week and train 3 times a day I sparred every day.

I have been to the new gracie academy but just to look around . I saw a lot.of people sparring in the big room and in a couple of the small rooms.

Just go. you will not be disappointed . it's not cooking class. they are doing jiu jitsu.

I went to the old gracie academy several times when I was younger . I would go for a week and train 3 times a day I sparred every day.

I have been to the new gracie academy but just to look around . I saw a lot.of people sparring in the big room and in a couple of the small rooms.

Just go. you will not be disappointed . it's not cooking class. they are doing jiu jitsu.

You saw white belts sparring?

Lol not sure that's the kind of place I want to train at.

You ever tried hapkido before? Come on, just go!

Seriously, go check it out.

Then come back here and tell us absolutely EVERYTHING!

You ever tried hapkido before? Come on, just go!

Seriously, go check it out.

Then come back here and tell us absolutely EVERYTHING!

No thanks, I'm sure it's awesome but I just don't have time for everything.
I just wanted to know what it's like from people's personal experiences.
Yeah I am thinking of going but wanted to know as much as possible beforehand aboit the combatives programme and if it's good. If it's not then I'm wasting my time.

Do not believe in the "pure jiu jitsu from source" and "sport vs street" stuff they might be trying to bullshit you with.

Yeah I'm not
Do not believe in the "pure jiu jitsu from source" and "sport vs street" stuff they might be trying to bullshit you with.
Yeah I'm not going to be blinded by people's opinion of sport vs street etc. If it's a good system and its fun and I'll be able to spar it's all good. If the training it n good then it's pointless.

Sparring is a requirement now for Blue belt qualification. Gi, no gi, and Vale tudo.

I trained at a CTC for about 5 months. It was great with lots of focus on the fundamentals. Really good school. That being said, the school has since evolved and dropped the CTC and now they're affiliated with Relson Gracie (the instructors started under him anyways) and doing even better. They still use a lot of the CTC fundamentals though.. It's good stuff overall but it has to be mixed with competitive sport oriented BJJ in addition to the heavy focus on fundamentals and self defense.

Back