What's more fundamental to success in Kickboxing/MT- Boxing or Kicking?

You don't know that either for the exactly same reason. I know for a fact that golden gloves champions have beat the living daylights out of amateur thaiboxers in Open style torneys. But it's possible golden gloves boxing was higher level than the grade of the thaiboxers
amateur thai boxers outside of thailand don't figure into it.

I don't see why not. They learn the same martial art. And golden gloves boxers are amateurs, not pros
i know gg are amateurs. But the quality of the art they learn and training is not the same as in thailand.

i know gg are amateurs. But the quality of the art they learn and training is not the same as in thailand.

The training in Thailand is heavy on mitts and low on sparring. I have a dude in TKD who's been there.

The training in Thailand is heavy on mitts and low on sparring. I have a dude in TKD who's been there.
everything is better there. thats why they have the best muay thai fighters. maybe they treated your friend like a tourist or he was at a gym that caters to westerners.

everything is better there. thats why they have the best muay thai fighters. maybe they treated your friend like a tourist or he was at a gym that caters to westerners.

It's well known that thai culture is light to no sparring in the gym because they save the themselves for competition.

Not really. Kickers orient towards Muay Thai and boxers towards boxing. If boxing didn't exist, maybe all those boxing talents would knock peoples head off in Muay Thai competitions instead.

there are plenty of pro boxers and boxing world champions in muay thai, and they were knocking nobodys head off.

Kicks being scored more highly than punches in MT should give you a clue.

Is there a rule in kickboxing that states you must throw kicks? Like a kicks per match or something? Could you go in there and just utilize hands?

Is there a rule in kickboxing that states you must throw kicks? Like a kicks per match or something? Could you go in there and just utilize hands?
there was in american kickboxing back in the 70s and 80s but not anymore.

It's well known that thai culture is light to no sparring in the gym because they save the themselves for competition.

So, basically your knowledge is second hand from someone you know, that went there to train once? Could you give us the name of the gym they went to?

Whilst your generally correct regarding light sparring in a Thai gym, they actually spar quite a bit and considering the amount of time they put in, training 6 days a week, it works out to many hours spent sparring.

Or do you expect Chute Boxe gym wars?

And no, most pro's in any combat sport if they value their brain should be involved in constant hard sparring.

Last edited:
So, basically your knowledge is second hand from someone you know, that went there to train once? Could you give us the name of the gym they went to?

Yes, from a national fighter in TaeKwondo who vacations in Thailand and trains in Muay Thai gyms during his stays.

The IKF rules state that the kick minimum hasn't been mandatory since 2009 but is still strongly encouraged http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/RulesFC.htm

There are different organizations. In the early Kickboxing days, the guy who knew boxing just got the karate/kickboxer into a corner and Koed him. There were also two rival org, one with low kicks allowed.

If the Kyokushin team knocked out two out of three Muay Thai fighters with punches to the face.. How on earth would they manage a world class boxer, supposing the boxer conditions his legs for low kicks 6 months in advance?

Maybe today is different, but my money back in those days would be on the boxer to KO them.

There are different organizations. In the early Kickboxing days, the guy who knew boxing just got the karate/kickboxer into a corner and Koed him. There were also two rival org, one with low kicks allowed.

If the Kyokushin team knocked out two out of three Muay Thai fighters with punches to the face.. How on earth would they manage a world class boxer, supposing the boxer conditions his legs for low kicks 6 months in advance?

Maybe today is different, but my money back in those days would be on the boxer to KO them.
The wka and wako who seem to be the main orgs in American style kickboxing both still have a minimum kick rule.
Bearing in mind that the skill level in the style was pretty low and that kicks above waist doesn't allow for much inside game beyond punching, that yes, a world class boxer could have stood a good chance of a ko.

Back