What's so thug about Thug Rose ?

Why does Bisping go as "The Count" ??

Everybody knows he can't even count.
It’s cuz in most big fights he’s down for the count
And you can almost always count him out

I'm surprised nobody answered "because it sounds cool"

You know, to a bunch of immature wanksters

she's one of those silent thugs,but who are we to say thugs can't be nice?

she's one of those silent thugs,but who are we to say thugs can't be nice?

What's up with Shogun?!?!?

The guy isn't even Japanese!

As several people have pointed out she got the nickname and she stuck with it because of her childhood friends views of her and her attitude at that time. She has gone through some adjustments since then. I recall reading about that a while ago. I'll post some of that.

That process of letting go of anger was not an isolated choice for Namajunas. In fact, she and her camp — including partner and former UFC heavyweight Pat Barry — told us that they’ve made wholesale changes in how they go about things, starting with attitude.

"We had to re-examine things," Barry told us.

"We had a meeting with all the coaches and we were all honest with each other about what needed to change. I had to re-examine my role in this as well. We kept the same personnel, but changed our approach."

One thing that did have to go was the "Thug" mentality that the 23-year-old had relied on to overcome adversity in the past and use to pump herself up as a fighter. "No more ‘Thug’ Rose," Barry continued.

"No more of this thinking where she relies on ‘I’m the baddest bitch in there!’ That creates a lot of pressure. Because, what happens when you lose? It crushes you. Now, it’s just about improving, looking honestly at what an opponent can do to you, what you can do to them, and fighting."

https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story...had-to-drop-the-thug-from-her-identity-100115

--

I was also thinking of that old Cage Potato article earlier that Mark Zima posted. This part figures into Roses' "Thug" behavior to explain her sense of it too. Why she did what she did and still does that mean mugging and what so of it means to her.

"...But it’s definitely one of the main things that most strangers will pick off of me from a first impression, that I really come off as this intimidating type of person. Like I said, it’s just one aspect of my personality, but I’m always practicing a staredown with strangers. Even going to the grocery store, I might mean-mug somebody just to see if I get a weird feeling from them. It’s practice. And I think that’s one thing that fighters don’t really practice that much, is their intimidation and their mind games, and the intimidating looks that you can give to people. It really can win or lose you the fight if you have that down. Mike Tyson was phenomenal at that game, of intimidating his opponents — he won the fight before it even started."

Last edited:
Thug: As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life.

Rose has used violence to not only manage her struggles but to transcend to a better life.

This is not a Rose hate thread not in the slightest because i think she is a phenomenal fighter but what i don't understand is why she goes by the nickname "Thug Rose" ?

She comes across like a person that want's to be nice and "make the world a better place". To me she doesn't do anything at all that remotely makes her out to be a thug. If i had to look at her objectively i would say she is quite the opposite of a thug.

So yeah what is so thug about Thug Rose because i don't understand the nickname one bit.

Remind me, how many people did wanderlei murder with an axe?

What's so sweet about Rashad? How many people did Wanderlei murder with an axe? How many homicides has Carlos Condit committed? Is GSP really in such a hurry?

It's just a tough sounding nickname.

I wouldn't read too much into it...but I have a life :oops:
Man, I tried to walk away but you keep butting in on these threads with this condescending, "better than you" attitude and, well, sometimes I just can't help myself, so here goes: How the hell do you tell the guy not to "read too much into it" and then finish with "but I have a life?" First of all, if this guy is pathetic and should get a life because he is reading too much into someone's nickname, how much more fucking pathetic does that make your life that you are reading into a guy, who is reading into a fighter's nickname??? I'll go even one further.... how much more fucking pathetic does that make me, that I'm reading into a fucking pathetic guy like you, who is reading into a guy who YOU think is pathetic for reading into a fighter's name???

Warning: If you comment on this post, then you have to tag yourself as more pathetic than the last guy and so on and so on... don't do it.... just don't.

Thanks @DWAYNEAMERICA, you fucking condescending moron!

Man, I tried to walk away but you keep butting in on these threads with this condescending, "better than you" attitude and, well, sometimes I just can't help myself, so here goes: How the hell do you tell the guy not to "read too much into it" and then finish with "but I have a life?" First of all, if this guy is pathetic and should get a life because he is reading too much into someone's nickname, how much more fucking pathetic does that make your life that you are reading into a guy, who is reading into a fighter's nickname??? I'll go even one further.... how much more fucking pathetic does that make me, that I'm reading into a fucking pathetic guy like you, who is reading into a guy who YOU think is pathetic for reading into a fighter's name???

Warning: If you comment on this post, then you have to tag yourself as more pathetic than the last guy and so on and so on... don't do it.... just don't.

Thanks @DWAYNEAMERICA, you fucking condescending moron!

Sheesh...I was just kidding for crying out loud.

Get a sense of humor :rolleyes:

Thug in her case just means she’s doesn’t give a fuck and she proved that when she didn’t even flinch at JJ’s cringeworthy “bullying” and knocked her out the following day.

Talking like a black girl rapper?

Back