What's the argument for Floyd being "greater" than Muhammad Ali?

of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above average - If Floyd has never been beaten he's further away than being considered average as on average fighters lose, including Ali, Ali lost 5 times, each time bringing him closer to average.

No he wasn't. Most said he was too young and inexperienced for Floyd and that proved to be the case.
i don't know about that. he was young, but 42-0. you can't really say a world champ is inexperienced after winning 42 straight fights, with 30 KOs. and alvarez didn't lose because the lights were too bright, either. he was fighting his ass off, floyd was just a lot slicker.

canelo was considered a legitimate threat and the fight was huge because of it.

I don't care too about all time rankings too much, I'm more interested in skills.

I would like to say that both were equally in terms of ring IQ / ability to adjust during a fight. But the Ken Norton fights throw a monkey wrench in it for me. Floyd figured out everyone he fought, whereas Ali could never decisively figure out Norton.

Ali's technical flaws became apparent when he deteriorated physically, as seen against Jimmy Young, Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers, ... comparable to Sugar Ray Leonard ... Floyd still took care of Canelo and Pacquaio at that age. So I'd give Floyd the edge in relation to ring-craft,... but Ali was a vastly bigger & more popular personality outside the ring and had a much bigger impact on the sport of boxing that is still having influence TILL THIS DAY!

Valid points but Ali’s illness was starting to take hold in the later part of his career. Ali also fought the best in their prime, many of them killers. Do you think if there was an equivalent to Foreman or Liston in Floyds division he would have fought them in their prime? Arguably Floyd has lost two fights in his career, the first Castillo and Maidana fights.

Hm never lost, has a great resume himself, was a world champ for 20 years, was still beating stellar opponents at 36/37/38. Ali almost lost to a 185 lbs man, got beaten by Norton who is by no means a special fighter, lost to Frazier when both where close to his prime. Ali gets mysthified, but the reality is, that Mayweather is in fact better than him. And i dont even like Mayweather, he is a moron.
Ali also lost years off his prime when he was banned from boxing. He fought Frazier coming off that ban. Frazier himself was an all time great so no shame in that. Norton fights were what they were, sometimes styles can give a fighter problems, look at the Manny v Marquez Fights. Amir Khan dispatched Maidana yet Floyd struggled with him in 2 fights...I would say Floyd is up there but I would rate Ali and a number of other fighters above him in all honesty. It’s not all about being undefeated.

If Floyd did the same thing, you'd say he waited for his opponent to get old and avoided him in his prime.
Floyd almost always fought guys coming off of great performances, unlike todays Top Rank P4P stars, and fought multiple p4p ranked opponents and pretty much no one other than top ranked belt holders. Even his worst opponents were former champs.
Ricky Hatton, Pac, Marquez and Mosley were all top 10 P4P ranked fighters when Floyd beat them and beat them without breaking a sweat. He schooled Canelo, who went on the be the best fighter of this era, not losing a fight since.
On top of that, Floyd was still beating elite level fighters at a time when Sugar Ray was a stepping stone. People try to say he avoided tough fights but what did he do when he actually had a tough fight? He rematched those opponents immediately. What benefit was there in fighting Maidana a second time?
I would still say Ali ranks over Floyd, but its not such a stretch to say its close. Ali lost to some pretty ordinary opponents. That never happened to Floyd.
I honestly think Floyd lost to Castillo and Maidana in the first fights he had with both. Watch them again and see what you think. I think Floyd is one of the greats and in his prime was mesmerising to watch, I just don’t think he is the greatest.

i don't know about that. he was young, but 42-0. you can't really say a world champ is inexperienced after winning 42 straight fights, with 30 KOs. and alvarez didn't lose because the lights were too bright, either. he was fighting his ass off, floyd was just a lot slicker.

canelo was considered a legitimate threat and the fight was huge because of it.
I just remember at the time plenty of people thought that Canelo was a great fighter but too inexperienced to beat Mayweather. His best win so far was Austin Trout. Does that prepare you to fight the P4P best in the game? Most people didn't think so. And the question is has Canelo improved since that defeat, I'm sure the majority of people would agree that he has. I'm pretty certain the prevailing reasoning was that Canelo was too young for Mayweather. And threads like this one show that.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...t-ready-for-mayweather.2210089/#post-74262517

And yeah the fight was big but that's because both fighters have a really big fan base and certainly Canelo fans were thinking their man could pull off the win and they wanted to see what would happen. Hell I didn't think Canelo had a chance but I still really wanted to see the fight.

Last edited:
I just remember at the time plenty of people thought that Canelo was a great fighter but too inexperienced to beat Mayweather. His best win so far was Austin Trout. Does that prepare you to fight the P4P best in the game? Most people didn't think so. And the question is has Canelo improved since that defeat, I'm sure the majority of people would agree that he has. I'm pretty certain the prevailing reasoning was that Canelo was too young for Mayweather. And threads like this one show that.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...t-ready-for-mayweather.2210089/#post-74262517

And yeah the fight was big but that's because both fighters have a really big fan base and certainly Canelo fans were thinking their man could pull off the win and they wanted to see what would happen. Hell I didn't think Canelo had a chance but I still really wanted to see the fight.

In the context of this thread I guess part of the difference is that Mayweather beat Canelo but when Ali fought the 6-0-1 inexperienced LHW gold medallist Leon Spinks 18 months after he won his gold medal it was Spinks who won it.

For me in boxing terms Mayweather > Ali (similar standard in the best wins but Floydd backs them up with more and of course there's the not losing part) but in greatness terms then it's Ali all the way as his greatness was more than just his boxing.

In the context of this thread I guess part of the difference is that Mayweather beat Canelo but when Ali fought the 6-0-1 inexperienced LHW gold medallist Leon Spinks 18 months after he won his gold medal it was Spinks who won it.

For me in boxing terms Mayweather > Ali (similar standard in the best wins but Floydd backs them up with more and of course there's the not losing part) but in greatness terms then it's Ali all the way as his greatness was more than just his boxing.
True but it's not really fair to compare Ali at the time he fought Spinks to Floyd when he fought Canelo as Ali was showing the early symptoms of Parkinson's disease at that time. Mayweather had a longer career at the top no doubt but I think Ali had the more impressive fights.

True but it's not really fair to compare Ali at the time he fought Spinks to Floyd when he fought Canelo as Ali was showing the early symptoms of Parkinson's disease at that time. Mayweather had a longer career at the top no doubt but I think Ali had the more impressive fights.

Weren't they both 35/36 at the time of the fights?
I don't disagree with you but I can see some similarity although Canelo turned out to be a hell of a lot better than Spinks.

I'm biased against Ali because of my age. I lived 2 doors down from a Richard Dunn when Ali fought him but I don' remember the fight. The only fights that I do remember from the time and not from looking back at them long after are the two Spinks fights, Holmes and Berbick. So it's still hard to get past my 'this guy is the greatest, surely not?' when watching the ghost of the fighter he once was but that never happened for me with Floydd as I watched him 'win' his Olympic medal live on television and most/all of his other title fights too.

Marciano and Joe Lewis were greater than Ali.
Joe Calzaghe and GGG are greater than Floyd.

Weren't they both 35/36 at the time of the fights?
I don't disagree with you but I can see some similarity although Canelo turned out to be a hell of a lot better than Spinks.

I'm biased against Ali because of my age. I lived 2 doors down from a Richard Dunn when Ali fought him but I don' remember the fight. The only fights that I do remember from the time and not from looking back at them long after are the two Spinks fights, Holmes and Berbick. So it's still hard to get past my 'this guy is the greatest, surely not?' when watching the ghost of the fighter he once was but that never happened for me with Floydd as I watched him 'win' his Olympic medal live on television and most/all of his other title fights too.
Yeah they were roughly the same age but they were worlds apart in terms of how much damage they'd both taken in their respective careers. Floyd was probably the best defensive boxer arguably ever. Ali used to absorb hellacious punishments in some of his fights. Apparently Ali's speech had slowed down by 16% after the Shavers fight where he got hit a lot which I think was just before the Spinks fight, indicating the beginnings of Parkinson's disease. If the argument was who had the longer successful career then that clearly goes to Floyd by some margin.

Yeah they were roughly the same age but they were worlds apart in terms of how much damage they'd both taken in their respective careers. Floyd was probably the best defensive boxer arguably ever. Ali used to absorb hellacious punishments in some of his fights. Apparently Ali's speech had slowed down by 16% after the Shavers fight where he got hit a lot which I think was just before the Spinks fight, indicating the beginnings of Parkinson's disease. If the argument was who had the longer successful career then that clearly goes to Floyd by some margin.

Rope-a-dope was effective but not a great long term strategy.

The more I think about it the more I think that by any measure in terms of boxing it's Floyd, he's just beaten so many good to great fighters. Having a 3 1/2 year enforced career break hurts Alis legacy too. Obviously that's not his fault and you could argue that coming back from it helps but he's missing 9 or 10 fights that he would have had when he was at his peak, the HW champion of the world with 9 defences. It's a shame that all happened and if it hadn't then it might have meant the last few fights didn't happen and I'd think better of him as I wouldn't have seen them becauses they wouldn't have happened.

I was just thinking who else I was watching when I was watching the last 4 Ali fights and it overlapped with Hagler, Duran, Hearns and Leonard. Hagler killed Minter the week before Holmes beat Ali, Hearns won his first tile that year too and Duran vs Leonard 1 and 2 were also in the same year, 1980.

Floyd beat everyone and was never defeated.

In his last real fight he beat Manny. Injured or not he beat him.

he beat multiple hall of game boxers and never resorted to the bum of the week.

he also wasn’t competing in a division packed with slow in athletic fighters. He fought true super featherweights to light middleweights.

Ali lost to a junkie and was mauled by Holmes and if he fought today he wouldn’t be able to compete as a heavyweight he’s be a cruiserweight Too small.

Valid points but Ali’s illness was starting to take hold in the later part of his career. Ali also fought the best in their prime, many of them killers. Do you think if there was an equivalent to Foreman or Liston in Floyds division he would have fought them in their prime? Arguably Floyd has lost two fights in his career, the first Castillo and Maidana fights.

Sonny Liston was 34 yrs old when Ali beat him in the first fight, by 1960's standards that is ancient. If Floyd did that people will accuse him of cherry picking. Foreman was a similiar age to what canelo was vs floyd, when Ali fought him. IT seems it's one rule for floyd

Rope-a-dope was effective but not a great long term strategy.

The more I think about it the more I think that by any measure in terms of boxing it's Floyd, he's just beaten so many good to great fighters. Having a 3 1/2 year enforced career break hurts Alis legacy too. Obviously that's not his fault and you could argue that coming back from it helps but he's missing 9 or 10 fights that he would have had when he was at his peak, the HW champion of the world with 9 defences. It's a shame that all happened and if it hadn't then it might have meant the last few fights didn't happen and I'd think better of him as I wouldn't have seen them becauses they wouldn't have happened.

I was just thinking who else I was watching when I was watching the last 4 Ali fights and it overlapped with Hagler, Duran, Hearns and Leonard. Hagler killed Minter the week before Holmes beat Ali, Hearns won his first tile that year too and Duran vs Leonard 1 and 2 were also in the same year, 1980.
Ali had a shorter peak and it was interrupted. But what makes Ali for me so special is he won matches that he supposedly had no hope of winning i.e. Foreman and Liston. Floyd never had a fight where he was anywhere near that big an underdog. I think he was an underdog vs. Corrales but not by much. I think conquering people that you are not supposed to beat makes a fighter great for me. Floyd never seemed to have to work that hard to get the win.

Ali had a shorter peak and it was interrupted. But what makes Ali for me so special is he won matches that he supposedly had no hope of winning i.e. Foreman and Liston. Floyd never had a fight where he was anywhere near that big an underdog. I think he was an underdog vs. Corrales but not by much. I think conquering people that you are not supposed to beat makes a fighter great for me. Floyd never seemed to have to work that hard to get the win.

I think people sometimes use a fighter's greatness against him,people like floyd and roy jones were almost always the favourite as they were imperious (until 2003 in jones' case).

Ali was the underdog against Liston and Foreman partly cause he regularly looked vulnerable, he got badly hurt and beat by Frazier/norton, who then both got demolished by Foreman in 2 rounds. And in the 2 fights before facing 34 yr old Liston, ali controversially outpointed (who most thought beat Ali) some contender called doug jones and got dropped and needed some alleged skullduggery to beat henry cooper, all this was just after Ali was dropped by sonny banks.

Consistently brilliant Fighters will usually be the favourite and make it look easy, to me that IS one of the things that makes them great, rather than a supposed black mark against them

Having said that I would probably have both in my all time top 10

Last edited:
I think people sometimes use a fighter's greatness against him,people like floyd and roy jones were almost always the favourite as they were imperious (until 2003 in jones' case).

Ali was the underdog against Liston and Foreman partly cause he regularly looked vulnerable, he got badly hurt and beat by Frazier/norton, who then both got demolished by Foreman in 2 rounds. And in the 2 fights before facing 34 yr old Liston, ali controversially outpointed (who most thought beat Ali) some contender called doug jones and got dropped and needed some alleged skullduggery to beat henry cooper, all this was just after Ali was dropped by sonny banks.

Consistently brilliant Fighters will usually be the favourite and make it look easy, to me that IS one of the things that makes them great, rather than a supposed black mark against them

Having said that I would probably have both in my all time top 10
Yeah perhaps you are right. Floyd was just so good that he never really faced a really difficult challenge. That's why I'd have liked him take a crazy bout like against GGG. I think he'd have still won it though even though I think he'd have been a big underdog. But what was Floyds limit that he couldn't overcome with his brilliance? I don't think we ever got to find out.

The charisma of Ali was something to behold. Sad the sport that gave him such a huge platform also took so much from him.

Love hearing him talk. This is a great interview too

Back