What's your favorite non-firearm self-defense weapon?

Shit infinity, i wouldn't want you swinging that shit at me. even a guy my size could do some serious damage with it.

Lol, yeah hard to beat the old aluminum bat. Still got that extendable baton? That thing is handy in a pinch i'm sure :), Awesome AV by the way.

Lol, yeah hard to beat the old aluminum bat. Still got that extendable baton? That thing is handy in a pinch i'm sure :), Awesome AV by the way.

Thanks man.

Ya i still got it only broke it once, tried hammering it back together...sort of worked haha I don't even remember how i broke it (drunken shenanigans most likely) but knocked one piece out of the other. I think its actually within arms reach of my bed on a shelf.

f0ec_assassins_creed_iii_tomahawk.jpg

I love tomahawk axes :)

2 things that surprise a lot of people as self defense weapons:

1. A handful of dirt, picked up off the ground and tossed at your assailant's eyes, blinding them and buying you time to escape or attack.

2. A coat, jacket, or sweatshirt, etc...- used against a knife attack in the same style as the 19th century cloak & dagger fighting style. Catch the point of the blade in the fabric of the coat and trap the attacker's arm by twisting the fabric around the weapon to neutralize or disarm.

I like those options for self defense because they're simple, practical, and don't require any special equipment, preparation, or permits. Also, unlike a gun, stick or knife, the "weapon" can't be wrested from you and used against you. It's also hard to sue a guy in a court of law who "beat you up with his sweat shirt".

Pulling out the book of Mormon will make all people turn and run....

Pulling out the book of Mormon will make all people turn and run....

Funny you should mention that.

When I was an LDS missionary, I got mugged at gunpoint on a number of occasions. One time, a gang of 12 guys chased us down, surrounded us, pulled out weapons. One had a gun, a couple of them had knives, some had sticks and chains. And one of them was just holding a brick looking like he wanted to throw it at someone.

They started asking for money. We didn't have any. So I told them, "I don't have any money. But I do have something even better."

So I took out some church pamphlets titles "Our Heavenly Father's Plan" and handed out one to each of the gang members, explaining that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings even more happiness than money ever could.

They didn't look entirely satisfied with the pamphlets, so I pulled out several copies of the Book of Mormon that I was carrying in my bag. I handed one to the guy with the gun, because he seemed to be the leader of the group, and told him "This is the book of Mormon, it's another testament of Jesus Christ. You can have it."

The gang members all looked at each other, then the guy with the gun said "Look man, never mind. Just never mind." And then they all left.

So yeah, you're totally right. The Book of Mormon is a totally awesome self defense weapon. I never got shot once while using it.

Back