What's your favorite reality-based modern war film?

What's your favorite reality-based modern war film?

• Black Hawk Down

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Hotel Rwanda

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • The Hurt Locker

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Lone Survivor

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • American Sniper

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Jarhead

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
Tears of the Sun and Special Forces didn't even make the list?

That's a travesty!

This, when I was in the corps people constantly tore it a new one

A person's opinion on Hurt Locker is surefire shibboleth for whether he's been in the military. I can think of no other movie about war that is so universally reviled by former and active service members but thought of so highly by everyone else.

The problem with Hurt Locker is that to anyone who's been in the military, it is by far the most inauthentic movie of these war films that purport to tell a tale of modern war. It gets all the details wrong and is one long string of things that could never happen by a bunch of guys who behave in ways they would never behave.

It's like when you walk into a restaurant that purports to be the authentic Chinese or Italian or Mexican and you're served cheap takeout shit or Taco Bell. Nothing inherently wrong with takeout food, love the stuff, but don't try to sell it to me as the real thing.

Most definitely Blackhawk Down

But I love the older war based movies more lol

- Saving Private Ryan
- We Were Soldiers
- Letters From Iwo Jima
- Wind Talkers
- Full Metal Jacket
- Stalingrad
- Enemy At The Gates

Last edited:
Thin Red Line anyone? #1

Downfall (Der Untergang) was excellent drama IMO.

The Great Escape, Flags of our fathers, was good, aswell.

Fucking Schindlers List!

Last edited:
Dammit while trying to hit cast vote I accidentally hit jarhead.

BHD is my vote.

It's a doc, but I gotta include it. Really fucking amazing imo. Dat thousand yard stare...

Man, lot of people seem to be missing the "modern war' part of the title.

If we're doing semi-modern war, the best war film ever made isn't Saving Private Ryan, but the Battle of Algiers.

Yeah, but if you noticed, the thread topic is about modern war.

While you could make the argument that WWII was the first modern war in the sense that the way it was fought at the tactical level still have relevancy and are broadly the same, all these movies are about events that took place in the past few decades.

Yeah, I felt like there would have been too many potential poll choices if I went with conflicts that occurred before the 90's.

It's a doc, but I gotta include it. Really fucking amazing imo. Dat thousand yard stare...

That thousand yard stare is just a dude who got shot. They are patching his arm up off to the side.

That thousand yard stare is just a dude who got shot. They are patching his arm up off to the side.

...and? You and I are keyboard warriors. He earned his.

Well, I haven't seen any of these movies. Does "We Were Soldiers" count? That movie doesn't get enough love imo.

Sam Elliott was cool. The whole side story about the photographer was awful.

BHD is GOAT obviously.

But Jarhead does hit a level of realisim when it comes to non combat fuckery

Back