What's your favorite song?

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I know, that's an incredibly hard question. Most people don't have just one, but they can narrow it down to a top five or so. It may be because you've listened to that song since you were young, or it had some emotional impact, or it just rocked harder than anything else. If you want, you can tell us about the song, why it's important to you, and anything you want. It's story time.

Also, if you don't like someone's favorite song, that's on you.

I think my favorite song (or one of, at least) is by the band Genesis. I grew up with that band. My first cassette tapes in the late 80's were of Genesis and Phil Collins. The most played tapes I had were Phil's No Jacket Required, and Genesis's Invisible Touch. Sure, they had better stuff, but I was just a child. I didn't know.

Cut to almost 30 years later, and Genesis still holds up for me. I got to see Phil a couple years ago when he was doing his final solo tour with the Motown covers and it was interesting but he didn't play his stuff. He's coming back again to tour again, so that's a plus. Who knows, Genesis may even decide to reunite over ten years after they stopped in 07. A guy can dream.

Anyways, the song I wanted to point out was Domino, off the album Invisible Touch. Invisible Touch was much poppier and 80's than some of their earlier work. It was a smash success album, getting something like 6 Platinums in the states and was their most commercially popular album. No, I won't do an American Psycho-esque rant on the evolution of Phil Collins commercially and artistically, but I will instead post a terrific song for you to listen.

As a lifelong fan of progressive rock, raised with bands like Genesis, Yes, Kansas, Rush, and the like, a song like this hit everything I like in that music. Sure, it had some 80's stuff but as a child of the mid 80's that is fine by me. It was one of their last great songs before they fell apart after We Can't Dance, and at over 10 and a half minutes it may be long for some of you. However, the song has two parts: In the Glow of the Night, and The Last Domino. Both parts are drastically different from one another, and the three guys of Phil, Tony and Mike blew me away as a kid and even to this day.

I will forever love this band, and this song. I hope you enjoy it, and if not, that's ok too.

How about you? Show me what you got!

Last edited:

I decided, when I was 13 years old,
that this would be my favorite song.

As I've inevitably changed & my
appreciation of music has expanded;
there have been periods of my life
when I have doubted this. But yet,
there are still certain times in my
life, when I revisit it & remember
exactly why I made that choice all
those years ago.

The funniest part is that Husker Du
translates to "Do you Remember?"

very hard question....ill give one thats in my top 5..... i get lost in the song when it plays ...makes me feel free (that whole album is incredible as well...bunch of great songs)

Last edited:
There are many but lately I've been replaying the shit outta this so I guess at this moment it's this song.

My current fave song is

But its a lot like the ufc hw title nothing stays on top for long

This because i find it incredibly comforting to listen to.

I'd take the whole album as favorite, but I think I can compromise to this song:

I would like to add deals gone bad might be my current fave song to listen to I would have to say my fave song of all time might be

I would also say that White light white heat white trash in my opinion is the greatest album of all time

I cant name my favourite song ... theres just 2 many ... i would even have trouble making a top 20 list.
Imo music is everywhere, i wouldnt do well without music, i believe music can be divine and that it touches your deepest within and connect you to infinity. Theres definatly something very powerfull in music and imo it has something to do with frequency.
If i had to name one , i would have to go back to the darkest times in my life, i wont go into details cause nobody gives a shiet and tbh i dont think it would be smart of me to talk about it over the internet.
Anyways this song helped me find peace, balance, strength and in someways it was a little light when all i saw was darkness.

Great topic
Cheers guys

I mean no disrespect to anyone who has posted their music so far, and I appreciate the posts, but this is a favorite song thread, not a "what are you listening to right now" type of thread. Far be it for me to say what someone's favorite is, but in general I'm looking for more of a deeper connection to the track with this thread than "I've listened to it a lot lately". These are tracks that generally stand the test of time for you.

I was going through a top five list of my own last night, and the most recent song on the list came out ten years ago. I wondered if that was too recent, because I have had plenty of time to grow with the track but questioned if it hadn't made me grow like the others did.

I'm going philosophical with this topic.

Too hard to say. I mean I listen to every genre of music and some days I just feel like listening to a particular brand on the mood or time of day or setting. There is a "this is my all time fave song" moment everyday when a different track comes on. I also like melodic music without lyrics, heavy music without lyrics, harsh shit with brash lyrics and peaceful songs with lyrics and everything in between.

So I can't even really pick "a song" cause there are tracks without lyrics or electronic music which people don't consider music but it is. Just cause it doesn't have live instruments in the track or is using samples doesn't mean it's not music.

The top definition for music at Merrian-Webster is:

1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

So I guess with all that groundwork laid it's okay to say that anything with a rhythm/melody or harmony is musical be it from Vocal, Instrumental or Electronic/Mechanical.

I can't choose though. I know if I pick a track I'll just come back here like 5 minutes later and edit it. Sometimes that's for the best. For my sanity. Cause I know I could find something better. "Better" being subjective like I might be in the mood to listen to some boom-bap like Oddisee and other times feeling depressive I might throw on some Type O Negative. Then I'll want to move my ass and put on some Prodigy.

Cop-out, but a solid cop-out.

Good topic @jeicex. I saw this thread go up last night and I've given it some thought. Its really hard to pick just one song of course but I ultimately decided on Ooh La La by the band Faces. The first time I remember hearing this song was when I was probably 10-11 yrs old. My uncles were in a Bluegrass band and they played a version of it. For a few years our family vacations consisted of traveling around to Bluegrass festivals and watching my uncles play. Every now and then, when my dad was drunk enough, he would get up and sing. Although this isn't a traditional Bluegrass song, somehow they made it work.

The Faces were probably the best "bar band" that made it big. Fronted by Rod Stewart with Ron Wood on guitar and Ronnie Lane on bass, the band had a raunchy, sloppy, raucous sound and a reputation for living the rock -n- roll life. I mean, you can almost taste the whiskey and smell the cigarette smoke when you listen to a song like Stay With Me. By the time they recorded their last album which includes the track Ooh La La, Rod Stewart was well on his way to success with his solo career. So vocal duties for the song fell to Ron Wood, the only time he would sing lead in a band.

So this is my pick for a favorite song. Party due to personal history, partly due to the overall sound and partly due to the lyrics.

Poor old granddad
I laughed at all his words
I thought he was a bitter man
He spoke of woman's ways

They'll trap you, then they use you
Before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind
Don't ever let it show

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger...

So this is my pick for a favorite song. Party due to personal history, partly due to the overall sound and partly due to the lyrics.

Do you know this version of it ?

OOh lla is a fave of mine too only I like the tim version . NEato !!!

@Gutter Chris I've never heard that version but I got to say I like it. When the organ kicked in it made me smile. Good stuff.

House of the Rising Sun-The Animals.

There is so much to this song the guitar tone and main line, Eric Burdon's vocals, the organ playing and the slow build with all of the instruments that grows as the song progresses. I've heard the song so many times and it still leaves me with that "feeling" from all of the little nuances throughout it....and fuck all of the other bullshit versions out there by Muse,Five Finger Death Punch or any other band.

Last edited:
Damn, haha, didn't realize this thread was already made, just made a "what're you top 5 songs atm".

Hope there's not too much overlap there jeicex, didn't mean to steal your idea or anything.

For me, right now, man that's a tough one.

Probably this one:

And that's as of the last couple of months.

Can't even begin too think of my favorite of all time or anything.

Favorite song to me is something you can listen to over and over again...very hard,but I'm thinking

Maaaaan. That's un-pickable :p
If that's a word... But these songs blow me a way every listen:

Back