What's your favorite song?

This my new current fave song. Its always changing

Thanks for acknowledging this is very difficult. While Mellow Gold wasnt the first album I bought it was the first CD and commercial artist and Beck will never leave my top five musicians, scientology and all. I posted Pay No Mind as I consider it one of the theme songs of my life. However equally important to me off the same album are the songs Whiskeyclone, Steal My Body Home and Blackhole.

Second up is a fairly new edition to my pantheon of musical gods, Willis Earl Beal with Cosmic Queries. The sound, lyrics, voice, everything about this song and the album it comes from, Principles of a Protagonist, speak to the very depths of my soul. Hes fantastic.

Id post some of my current favourite band, Of the Wand and the Moon, as well but Ill leave them for you folks to discover on your own if ya feel the need to sample the latest edition to my pantheon. Theyre also there to stay.

A few I can say will always be favorites of mine.

[yt]

[yt]

[yt]

Albarn is a gifted songwriter.
hard to believe he lost the britpop wars to the Gallagher brothers. I think he got the last laugh though because they've been largely forgotten whereas he's been doing high profile shit constantly.

anyhoo, back to favorite songs- OP does it have t be a song, or can it be any piece of music? Like could it be a movement from a symphony?

Good topic @jeicex. I saw this thread go up last night and I've given it some thought. Its really hard to pick just one song of course but I ultimately decided on Ooh La La by the band Faces. The first time I remember hearing this song was when I was probably 10-11 yrs old. My uncles were in a Bluegrass band and they played a version of it. For a few years our family vacations consisted of traveling around to Bluegrass festivals and watching my uncles play. Every now and then, when my dad was drunk enough, he would get up and sing. Although this isn't a traditional Bluegrass song, somehow they made it work.

The Faces were probably the best "bar band" that made it big. Fronted by Rod Stewart with Ron Wood on guitar and Ronnie Lane on bass, the band had a raunchy, sloppy, raucous sound and a reputation for living the rock -n- roll life. I mean, you can almost taste the whiskey and smell the cigarette smoke when you listen to a song like Stay With Me. By the time they recorded their last album which includes the track Ooh La La, Rod Stewart was well on his way to success with his solo career. So vocal duties for the song fell to Ron Wood, the only time he would sing lead in a band.

So this is my pick for a favorite song. Party due to personal history, partly due to the overall sound and partly due to the lyrics.

Poor old granddad
I laughed at all his words
I thought he was a bitter man
He spoke of woman's ways

They'll trap you, then they use you
Before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind
Don't ever let it show

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger...

Their guitarist had a pretty cool, plucky style and i liked how he mixed leads into his rhythm guitar parts without them being "fills"

Couldn't find the studio version on youtube but here is a pretty good live version. Not matter where I am in life I seem to come back to this song.

Couldn't find the studio version on youtube but here is a pretty good live version. Not matter where I am in life I seem to come back to this song.

Yeah, i was just looking for Bold As Love, a top 10 favorite song for me, and they don't have any of his studio shit on there.

As many have said this is a near impossible task. Favorite can mean so many different things and of course given how fluid emotions are things like this change all the time. I wanted to think of a song that means a lot to me now and always will.

I remember listening to this entire album but this track in particular for three straight summers with a person that was very close to me. We would lay in the back of our cars and share headphones. Caecilia is the most perfect representation of what I think my soul would sound like. Fractured but trying its best to be pure, romantic and melancholic. I have a hard time even listening to the track now as it brings me back to those summers and the person I was and probably will always be.

Back