Movies What's your top 10 film directors of all-time?

Out of these directors - Who's the two best?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Steven Spielberg
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Christopher Nolan
5. David Fincher
6. Stanley Kubrick
7. Paul Thomas Anderson
8. Francis Ford Coppola
9. James Cameron
10. Denis Villeneuve

Hard to rate. They all have their strengths and different criticisms that might keep them from being someone's top pick. Spielberg has made more of my favorite films. Cameron has a stellar win rate, but isn't very prolific and now seems to be confined to making movies about blue people that I'm not too interested in. Fincher is probably the most technically knowledgeable. Nolan is impressive when constructing a movies plot and pace but sometimes his characters fall short. I'm super interested in how Coppolas Megalopolis turns out.

Ultimately I'd probably give the nod to Spielberg simply because he's made the most movies I can watch over and over, and at the same time he's made incredible powerhouses like Schindlers List and Munich. He's shown the most range, and has incredible techical ability, even if he probably has also amassed the most misses as well. But that comes mostly from being productive, I think.

I'm really curious in what Denis Villeneuves resume will look like in 15 years time. So far he hasn't had a single misfire.

Last edited:
Hard to rate. They all have their strengths and different criticisms that might keep them from being someone's top pick.

I'm really interested in what Denis Villeneuves resume will look like in 15 years time.

That's a very good point, he's someone to keep an eye on.

From that list Hitchcock and PTA are my favs

My favs are

Akira Kurosawa
Jean-Pierre Melville
Takeshi Kitano
Kinji Fukasaku
Andrei Tarkovsky
Hayao Miyazaki
Federico Fellini
David Lean
Coen Bros
Wong Kar-Wai

From that list Hitchcock and PTA are my favs

My favs are

Akira Kurosawa
Jean-Pierre Melville
Takeshi Kitano
Kinji Fukasaku
Andrei Tarkovsky
Hayao Miyazaki
Federico Fellini
David Lean
Coen Bros
Wong Kar-Wai

Those are very interesting choices, thank you for sharing my friend.

Reactions: Zer
Those are very interesting choices, thank you for sharing my friend.
Sherdoggers should really take his advice on Melville, I think people here expect some kind of hip French dramas from him or something but he arguably created the modern crime thriller, Michael Mann pretty much built his career on following on from him.

Andrei Tarkosky
Wim Wenders
John Carpenter
Kenji Mizoguchi
Stanley Kubrick
Johnathan Glazer
David Lynch
Wong Kar-Wai
Nicolas Roeg
RIdley Scott(albeit more for Alien and Blade Runner than the rest)

Last edited:
Hmmm.

John Carpenter.
David Lynch.
Kiyoshi Kurosawa.
Carl Dreyer.
Andrei Tarkovsky.
Mario Bava.

Hmmm, I'd have to think more about it as there are directors who I like a bunch of movies from that have a real and significant down period in their careers (Lucio Fulci, Tobe Hooper, and John Landis). I also think a few Korean directors are doing consistently great work, and there are a few central European directors who also had consistently great work in that slow atmospheric style I enjoy.

But on that list
1. Steven Spielberg
2. Alfred Hitchcock

Its not always the most reflective though as a lot of directors tend to have 1-2 films I love much more than the rest, I spose Ridley Scott almost falls into that.

I'm sure there are superior directors, but I'm not smart enough about film so just went with who makes the movies I like best.

Spielberg
Scorsese

Back