Movies Where do you rank Christopher Nolan among the greatest film directors?

Where do you rank Christopher Nolan among the greatest directors?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
My top 5 would be.

1. Steven Spielberg
2. Martin Scorsese
3. Christopher Nolan
4. Alfred Hitchcock
5. Stanley Kubrick

He might be in the top ten for number of movies I would want to watch more than once.

Arguably my favorite, or the one I got into cinema with.

Objectively? He’s great. Like a 8-8.5

i think he fits top 100 of all time

He's made some great films and also some really bad ones. But I suppose he's just human like the rest of us.

I saw Oppenheimer in the cinema and I have mixed feelings about it. I thought it was interesting up until the bomb went off and after that it was crap.

1. Spielberg
2. Scorsese
3. Hitchcock
4. Nolan
5. Kubrick

Last edited:
He's made some great films and also some really bad ones. But I suppose he's just human like the rest of us.

I saw Oppenheimer in the cinema and I have mixed feelings about it. I thought it was interesting up until the bomb went off and after that it was crap.

1. Spielberg
2. Scorsese
3. Hitchcock
4. Nolan
5. Kubrick
I tend to think the reverse, he's been very consistent across his career to the degree I wouldnt say he's made anything worse than "good" films but is IMHO lacking real inspiration to make truely great films.

I tend to think the reverse, he's been very consistent across his career to the degree I wouldnt say he's made anything worse than "good" films but is IMHO lacking real inspiration to make truely great films.

Yeah he doesn't have the inspiration to make a truly great film. But I don't agree that he consistently makes good films. Tenant and Interstellar for example were terrible.

For me Nolan, Speilberg and Cameron rank at the top, i actually enjoy the movies and they stay with me.

Of course kurick and hitchcock were masters of the craft, but they didn't have the same effect for me. Scorcese is a legend but that's just not my genre of movies.

So its those 3 for me, and maybe ridley scott but i've disliked a lot of his later work.

I'm not really into him, his movies seem to get massively overrated although I did like his earlier work like Memento and The Prestige. He doesn't come to mind when I think of great directors

He used to be the best IMO but his last 3 movies have dropped him below Tarantino and Cameron for me.

Last place sadly. Should make movie with last placed actor in DuCaprio soon again. Name of movie:
The Last of us.

Anyone putting him at the top 10 or higher has poor knowledge of cinema and is probably stuck to Hollywood only.

I don't have enough knowledge of his films to rank him, and I don't really have a top five directors ranking, but if I did Quentin Tarantino would be on top of it, even though OUATIH freaking sucked.

I'm not really into him, his movies seem to get massively overrated although I did like his earlier work like Memento and The Prestige. He doesn't come to mind when I think of great directors
I think he has become a bit of an avatar for the film bro culture, I spose because he makes quite easy to consume action thrillers which have some high concept ideas to them, films its easy to hype up as "important".

As a director though I think he's much closer to Spielberg or Cameron than he is Kubrick, Marty or Tarkovsky, even compared to those two though I don't think he's as effective a maker of entertainment, his films tend to feel a bit too clunky and overwritten to me and lack the charm and human touch of the Berg and Cameron in their pomp.

He's made a load of 7/8 out of 10ish kind of films for me but Menento is probably the closest he's come to making a great film.

Back