Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hotel's 'horrifying' tribute for dead son prompts apology to British couple
By DANIELLE CINONE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
DEC 07, 2018 | 3:30 PM

ny-1544213061-a7nkghzf8y-snap-image

A British woman was left trembling, shaking, and “utterly horrified,” when she saw a dummy body on the bed of a Royalton Jamaica Resort hotel room. (Obtained by the New York Daily News)

A British woman says she was “utterly horrified” after staffers at a Jamaica hotel left a dummy body on a bed to honor a couple’s dead son.

Karen Baker had asked employees at the Royalton Resort to pay tribute to her godson Alex Stephens — a 22-year-old who took a fatal fall off a balcony in Spain four years ago — with balloons and a cake.

"I have truly never seen anything like it. I still look at the photographs now and can't believe somebody thought to do that.”

A spokesperson with the travel company TUI UK, which helped set up the trip, offered “sincere apologies” and a full refund to the relatives, BBC reported.

"We're following up with the hotel and believe it was a misunderstanding with no intention to cause upset," the spokesperson said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-prompts-apology-to-british-couple/ar-BBQEiXs

<{Joewithit}>

Can anyone enlighten me here?

Is this a cultural misunderstanding?

Disgruntled employees?

I mean I think the request to celebrate the son's death is weird in itself, but what followed crosses over into the surreal.

Discuss ............

<{Joewithit}>

It has become a thing (a small thing, I guess) to stage corpses for funerals to remember the dead as they were in life.

I have no problem with it as long as it's in private.

img_5233_e1531091384844.0.jpg

Looks like they got exactly what they requested...what's the problem here?

I mean who in the flying fuck asks a hotel to prepare a tribute to their dead godson? How do they think the staff are going to feel about this and respond to it? I also do feel like this is a cultural issue as the Jamacians have some pretty "different" traditions than most western nations.

https://ajamaicaexperience.com/jamaican-funeral-traditions/

People got their stay for free and life is moving forward...seems like a non-issue.

So was this kid actually one of the California Raisins?

8633_24034_1.jpg

He's got the TV remote right there and everything!

The tears on the dummys face and the "can of lager in his hand" - Lotta work went into that.

He's got the TV remote right there and everything!

The tears on the dummys face and the "can of lager in his hand" - Lotta work went into that.

That's where I think this might be a different culture hard to judge, kind of moment.

They apparently have strippers at Chinese funerals now.

Cultures are weird on death for sure.

It was a lovely tribute, this couple needs sensitivity training.

It has become a thing (a small thing, I guess) to stage corpses for funerals to remember the dead as they were in life.

<Eek2.0> Yikes!
This-is-my-bro.jpg

Doritos and pepsi, a man of taste. Unrealistic though because half the doritos aren't eaten.

So she sees a dummy on a bed and that leaves her “trembling, shaking, and “utterly horrified”?

Bit of an over reaction. It’s a dummy. Just go downstairs and ask the employees what’s going on, no need to make it international news.

The first image that sprung into my mind while reading the OP. Well done.

What did this lady want them to do? It seems she is mostly upset that her son is dead, and people don't share the depth of her grief. She's fishing for affirmation that her son's death was as tragic to the rest of the world as it is to her. Obviously it isn't, and that makes sense, if you think about it, but she's struggling to cope, and not doing well.

Why didn't she send them a portrait of her son to post instead? It's impossible to tell whether this is poor taste or a sly joke gone wrong, but I don't see the political angle, and I think this thread much better placed in the Berry.

Why would you celebrate the death of someone? That doesn't sound like moving on and accepting at all

Asks hotel to pay tribute to a godson who died 4 years ago...

She's a loon

Was the dummy watchin the new Handy j/o video when she walked in?

I personally complain if I don't get a complimentary macabre effigy thrown in when I purchase balloons and/or cake.

This is why requests to hotel staff should be limited to asking for more towels or having the toilet unclogged.

Back