Where do you place Leon Edwards in GOAT WW list?

I think current Edwards beats every 170 lb fighter in history.

Near-prime GSP should've lost to Hendricks.

Last edited:
Just wondering what Sherdog thinks about Leon's place amongst the greats at WW division.

Leon's 14-2 in UFC, with wins over Covington, Usman twice, Nate, RDA, Luque, Gunnar, Cerrone and Tumenov.

Personally, if Covington didn't look so utter dogshit, and I have always rated Covington highly before he went full heel, I would have easier time ranking Leon but he looked as bad as anyone in the history of MMA title fights. I wouldn't necessarily be in disagreement if one would argue that Aldana looked better against Nunez than Covington did against Leon.

Personally, it's GSP above everyone else and then Usman in the second place. I'm not sure where to place Leon. Leon's accomplishments are amazing, but I don't necessarily think Leon beats pre-USADA Hendricks, pre-USADA lawler, prime Rory, prime Wonderboy, prime Covington, prime Usman, prime Woodley, prime Condit, prime Alves, prime Shields, prime Fitch, and that list in my opinion would be very long. I'm not sure if Leon could get on his bike and wrestle his way to victory against Nick either.

When I try to evaluate a fighter, I try to look at their peak talent ability/skills and accomplishments. Leon's got the sterling record, win streak, and a win over arguably the best two WWs of his time. But his skillset wise, I don't necessarily rate it higher than the aforementioned fighters. I don't think Leon beats Shavkat, either.

Leon's not half the finisher what people make him out to be. Outside the hail mary of all hail mary against Usman, he only has on other (t)ko in his entire ufc run and even then that was kinda flukish. The other one was just wierd as hell stoppage with a second left in the fight. He's a clean, effective striker, but nothing more. But overall, he's a hell of a fighter.

Where would you rank Leon amongst WW all-time greats?
With 2 defences hes no where on my list
But colby and usmen are great wins

Tbh he can have as manuy defenses as he likes. I refuse to brand someone GOAT with the way he fights.

1. GSP
2. Hughes
3. Usman
4. Edwards
5. Woodley, Lawler, Hendricks

Just wondering what Sherdog thinks about Leon's place amongst the greats at WW division.

Leon's 14-2 in UFC, with wins over Covington, Usman twice, Nate, RDA, Luque, Gunnar, Cerrone and Tumenov.

Personally, if Covington didn't look so utter dogshit, and I have always rated Covington highly before he went full heel, I would have easier time ranking Leon but he looked as bad as anyone in the history of MMA title fights. I wouldn't necessarily be in disagreement if one would argue that Aldana looked better against Nunez than Covington did against Leon.

Personally, it's GSP above everyone else and then Usman in the second place. I'm not sure where to place Leon. Leon's accomplishments are amazing, but I don't necessarily think Leon beats pre-USADA Hendricks, pre-USADA lawler, prime Rory, prime Wonderboy, prime Covington, prime Usman, prime Woodley, prime Condit, prime Alves, prime Shields, prime Fitch, and that list in my opinion would be very long. I'm not sure if Leon could get on his bike and wrestle his way to victory against Nick either.

When I try to evaluate a fighter, I try to look at their peak talent ability/skills and accomplishments. Leon's got the sterling record, win streak, and a win over arguably the best two WWs of his time. But his skillset wise, I don't necessarily rate it higher than the aforementioned fighters. I don't think Leon beats Shavkat, either.

Leon's not half the finisher what people make him out to be. Outside the hail mary of all hail mary against Usman, he only has on other (t)ko in his entire ufc run and even then that was kinda flukish. The other one was just wierd as hell stoppage with a second left in the fight. He's a clean, effective striker, but nothing more. But overall, he's a hell of a fighter.

Where would you rank Leon amongst WW all-time greats?
4th or 5th defo behind Hughes, GSP and Usman

GSP

Hughes
Usman

Edwards
Woodley
How is Usman still higher than Leon? They have very similar resumes save for Usman’s two title defenses vs Mr Jorge. He beat Usman twice man to man.

In terms of legacy
Gsp
Usman
-

Woodley- The welterweight division was at its best when he held the crown, In his prime
and when he wasnt inside his own head he was a MONSTER.

Matt hughes - Hes not a good person at all, hes a POS,

Leon - if leon beats belal islam shavkat and moves up and wins then he is easily number 2
Robbie- after gsp he made the division good

In terms of whose p4p the best in they primes

Prime Usman >>>
Prime GSP
Prime Woodley (
When hes not in his own head and when he was in his prime YIKES)
Prime Robbie-
Prime Leon ( Nate Wobbled him & Usman dominated him twice)

Last edited:
it's really to early right now to rank him.

he's on his way to passing usman. maybe another defense does it as beating usman, colby, and shavkat/belal is more impressive then beating mas, colby and gilbert burns.

I think 2 title defenses and most will have him at 3.

he isn't young though so that will be a factor in trying to catch hughes or gsp

He doesn’t even get honorable mention …yet. To be fair it is a very tough division with a lot of studs in its history.

Resume:
GSP
Usman
Edwards
Woodley

Peak:
GSP/Usman
Colby
Edwards

Somewhere in the 4-6 range.

He beat what were the consensus #1 and 2 welterweights in his era. Proving that he was #1 all along and they were 2 and 3 at best.

His legacy this far is built on the 2 Usman wins, and now the Colby win, and after that his resume falls off a bit but is still underrated by the casuals on Sherdog.

Dominated Diaz for 24 minutes 30 seconds and people only remember the fight for a single punch Diaz landed.

Dominated RDA, former LW champ and had only lost to Usman and Xokby at 170 to that point.

Beat Cerrone. Not in his prime but certainly before he was washed. People falk about the score being 48-47 but I think that's harsh on Leon. Fight was much more one sided than that.

Beat Luque but gets no credit because most of Luquesbbig wins came after he lost to Leon.

Beat Gunnar Nelson by actually grappling with him the majority of the fight.

The forgotten win against Tumenov. This may be Leon's 3rd best win after Kamaru and Colby. He's a really underrated guy that was let go by the UFC wrongly imo. Leon is the only guy to ever finish him and he's 7-0 since that loss.
Him beating 35 & 36 yr old Usman & 35 yr old Colby does not prove that he was better than them both all along. That doesn't automatically make him the greatest WW of his era. Context matters. Did you know that in UFC history, for title fights at WW & below, fighters age 35 & older are 1-31 against younger opponents. The only exception was Woodley beating Till, & that win hasn't aged that well as Till immediately followed up that loss by losing 4 of his next 5 fights & then cut from the UFC (only win was a spit dec vs Gastelum, another guy who's been on a huge slide). It can't just be a accident that at the lighter weight classes, fighters 35 & older are 1-31 in title fights against younger fighters, its a damning stat that can't be ignored

GSP
Hughes
Mach Sakurai
Penn
Fitch
Condit
Lawler
Diaz
Everything else is a lie

Back