Where do you rank George Carlin among the greatest stand-up comedians?

Where do you rank George Carlin among the greatest stand-up comedians?

• Total voters
Oh yea wait, Norm is #1 for me. His takes on “The News aka Janice” Tiger woods, SF gay pride and “waging a war” with cancer are gold.
He “battled cancer for nine years but lost”. Even he would find that ironic and funny.

There's actually a lot of good comics out there. netflix really oversaturated the community.

Jim Gaffigan is also great. He's maybe the best clean comic ever?

Yea Gaffigan kills, Hedberg always a favorite. Remember old Daniel Tosh? Funny as hell.
David Spade has some great stand up too, his thing on Vegas strip clubs is awesome.

Mark Normand and Nate Bargatze are also great.

Katt Williams for sheer audacity, does not hold back.

Yea Gaffigan kills, Hedberg always a favorite. Remember old Daniel Tosh? Funny as hell.
David Spade has some great stand up too, his thing on Vegas strip clubs is awesome.
I think Gaff is on Prime now, is last one was great. All his specials are top notch I feel.

No but I will.

The people who say George Carlin is a goat have to consider how much he changed his style. He was a total hippy goof ball until he had a heart attack and then came back as an angry comic in the 90s. From there he kept becoming more and more political and meaty with his material. All the stuff that you say aged well was during this period. That is around 20 years of pretty amazing stuff. Chappelle has already put out 20 years of material. Chappelle was coming on the scene just as Carlin changed it up.

In my taste, I think Chappelle is better but not by much. Chappelle is a natural storyteller that I don't know if any have surpassed. He does it so naturally. Carlin really worked hard to get good at the end and was very good. I saw both live. Chappelle was just better but I saw Carlin at the end a few months before he died.

He is an all time great for sure. Top 5 guy.

Eddie Murphy
Richard Pryor
Dave Chappelle
George Carlin
Chris Rock
Robin Williams
Louis CK
Bill Burr
Mitch Hedberg
Rodney Dangerfield
Good list, my initial thought was top 5, but there was no list to make it easier to compare.

My parents' generation remembers where they were when JFK was killed but the two guys I remember dying are Isaac Asimov and George Carlin. Started listening to him by sneaking my stepdad's comedy LPs from the 70's. I was at one of his HBO televised shows in the 90's at the Beacon. He stood around for about half an hour after the set to tell old jokes and other material that didn't make the show. My appreciation of him grew as I aged past my teens and could really appreciate the social commentary. Maybe not the best comic but he's right up there along with the greats.

Last edited:
How the Hell did I forget Louis CK. Ck over Carlin for sure. Maybe even Norm.

The people who say George Carlin is a goat have to consider how much he changed his style. He was a total hippy goof ball until he had a heart attack and then came back as an angry comic in the 90s. From there he kept becoming more and more political and meaty with his material. All the stuff that you say aged well was during this period. That is around 20 years of pretty amazing stuff. Chappelle has already put out 20 years of material. Chappelle was coming on the scene just as Carlin changed it up.

In my taste, I think Chappelle is better but not by much. Chappelle is a natural storyteller that I don't know if any have surpassed. He does it so naturally. Carlin really worked hard to get good at the end and was very good. I saw both live. Chappelle was just better but I saw Carlin at the end a few months before he died.

"7 Words..." is timeless, and still holds up today, IMO.

Back