Which is more effective style muay thai or boxing

What sets McGregor apart is his TKD training and his movement training. Boxers and Thai fighters will both lack elite movement because they fight in a small square ring. In a real fight you dont get trapped in corners, you can always circle away and strike from the outside.

Oh Dear Leader you are right. You truly know more than anyone on Sherdog and the Internet and if you fought you would easily become Super Heavy Weight champion.

However, please Dear Leader can you release my brother from Camp #4 he was arrested for bootlegs of "The Golden Girls" but he did not mean anything by it.

Most of you guys are saying boxing is more effective for the cage, is it because boxers have good footwork and that helps with avoiding being takendown, or is it because the punching power and the slipping is good for the cage? Personally i've always been a muay thai kind of guy because i love kicking.

Unless it was against elite fighters it doesnt really matter. There are plenty of fights in stadiums thai vs foreigners in which the thais lose. Nothing astounding
Its a well known story. Thailand sent out a open challenge to japanese karate. Kyokushin took it up and sent a team. Some high ranking guys was selected to uphold the muay thai honor and 2 out of 3 of them got creamed by the kyokushin guys in a big event in the Lumpini stadion. The losing kyokushin guy (Kenji Kurosaki, later known as one of the pioneers of japanese kickboxing) was really there as coach, and only stepped in as fighter at the last minute after the original 3rd fighter had to return to japan after the event had been delayed (he, like all the japanese fighters, had a day job).
Unlike their more successful challenge events (used to set up that "invincible muay thai" myth), the muay thai community have tried its best to forget that this challenge event ever happened. Too bad it was not a tiny event, and was fairly well documented.

Its a well known story. Thailand sent out a open challenge to japanese karate. Kyokushin took it up and sent a team. Some high ranking guys was selected to uphold the muay thai honor and 2 out of 3 of them got creamed by the kyokushin guys in a big event in the Lumpini stadion. The losing kyokushin guy (Kenji Kurosaki, later known as one of the pioneers of japanese kickboxing) was really there as coach, and only stepped in as fighter at the last minute after the original 3rd fighter had to return to japan after the event had been delayed (he, like all the japanese fighters, had a day job).
Unlike their more successful challenge events (used to set up that "invincible muay thai" myth), the muay thai community have tried its best to forget that this challenge event ever happened. Too bad it was not a tiny event, and was fairly well documented.

So your saying that kyokushin karate is more effective? That would explain why GSP is so sucessful. Do you think its more effective then boxing, or as others mentioned savate?

Under muay thai rules? So what happened then? Did kyoyushin decline?

So your saying that kyokushin karate is more effective? That would explain why GSP is so sucessful. Do you think its more effective then boxing, or as others mentioned savate?
Im not saying kyokushin is more effective. I say both Kyok. and MT are good, with proven records in the ring, and in the end it is down to the individual fighter.
In my book anyone who plays the fanatic "my art is the one and only worth doing" fanboy game is a insufferable prat.

Im not saying kyokushin is more effective. I say both Kyok. and MT are good, with proven records in the ring, and in the end it is down to the individual fighter.
In my book anyone who plays the fanatic "my art is the one and only worth doing" fanboy game is a insufferable prat.

I think if muay thai was mixed in kyokushin karate or any karate style it would be more effective, i always wanted to learn karate but don't have the time, and am unemployed. Which do you think is better kyokushin or savate or boxing for the cage?

I think if muay thai was mixed in kyokushin karate or any karate style it would be more effective, i always wanted to learn karate but don't have the time, and am unemployed. Which do you think is better kyokushin or savate or boxing for the cage?
Japanese kickboxing basicly originated as a mix of karate and muay thai, but since K-1 became popular they dont use elbows and clinch

Under muay thai rules? So what happened then? Did kyoyushin decline?
the agreed upon rules was muay thai rules but with the addendum that "karate techniques" was allowed (which effectively was used to allow hipthrows to get out of clinch, which probably was not what the thais expected). The two win by kyokushin guys was by the way of 1st round ko (high roundkick) and 2nd round ko (punch) .
The loss was by the way of stoppage after a elbow.

Japanese kickboxing basicly originated as a mix of karate and muay thai, but since K-1 became popular they dont use elbows and clinch

Same for dutch kickboxing. It began by melding kyokushin, and boxing, with muay thai.

Japanese kickboxing has not allowed elbows and clinch since the 70ies (in its main format. There are always shootboxing and other minor rule sets, that purist would complain is not kickboxing). They also used to allow headbutts.

Same for dutch kickboxing. It began by melding kyokushin, and boxing, with muay thai.

Japanese kickboxing has not allowed elbows and clinch since the 70ies (in its main format. There are always shootboxing and other minor rule sets, that purist would complain is not kickboxing). They also used to allow headbutts.
I know there have been a few japanese stadium champions in thailand, but many thais also went to japan to fight. Can you tell us more about these bouts?

I know there have been a few japanese stadium champions in thailand, but many thais also went to japan to fight. Can you tell us more about these bouts?
google it. kyokushin vs muay thai 1964. its not hard to find. Sometimes they confuse the dates (you see the year incorrectly listed as 1962 or 1963 on occasion) but other than that the info is easy to find.

Good idea to learn some of both techniques. Don't limit yourself to just one discipline. Fighters these days learn as much as they can. MMA has evolved much from the early days of UFC where each fighter only represented just one discipline.

MT goes beyond boxing incorporating way more techniques.

MT goes beyond boxing incorporating way more techniques.

I think boxing has more tricks and tactics then muay thai though, not bashing muay thai I love muay thai as well as all fighting arts.

Boxing is more effective, except for fighting in an elevator I guess.
That's why there are western fighters with mainly boxing background and very basic training in kicks/knees/elbows who transitioned to Muay Thai and soon climbed to the elite and beat Thai fighters that had been working on traditional Thai tecniques their whole life.
And that's also why Thai gyms have evolved so much in boxing in recent years. They realized they need to focus on boxing tecnique, or they would be surpassed by western fighters with better boxing base, even at their own game.
*Thai fighters used to be particularly tough, maybe in part due to their training methods, but I guess you are asking exclusively for tecnique

Of course you need to be aware of how to block a kick, or how to defend yourself in the Thai clinch, but the better boxer will probably be the one who set the pace in the fight.

Oviously if you know to use the hands as good as the better boxer and your legs as good as the better Thai then that's the more effective mix but I don't think that's really the answer you are looking for
The boxing to mt thing has worked in reverse too. It isn't the art, it is the fighter.

Traditional Muay Thai will not work based on their stance, you'll get taken down easily with that stance.

Most fighter used Dutch Kickboxing style, it is more adaptable for mma.

most useful carry over to mma:

wrestling&boxing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rest

MT has more weapons, but boxing has better defense and precision

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back