News White to Aspinall: Defend Interim Title or Sit on the Shelf. You Don't Get Jones.

“No,” White answered when asked if Aspinall could fight Jon Jones. “And we’re not stripping Jon Jones either...(It) ain’t happening,” White said. “Stipe, you have to understand this, if you look at what Stipe’s accomplished in this sport, what he’s done, where he’s at in his career, he wants the Jon Jones fight“ [Miocic] wants Jones and Jones wants Stipe, so it makes sense.” If Aspinall wants to fight before that fight happens, why not? Why not let him defend it (the interim title)?”

How little will this fight matter? How much of a casual will you need to be to buy this fight? Are you even interested in this fight a year from now? It only hurts Jones' legacy to duck the Interim Champ to fight Stipe. It doesn't help him at all.
This is #1 bullshit. Stipe is coming off of a brutal KO and hasn’t competed in 2 years.
I dont care how stacked the rest of the card is, this is a hard boycott for me.
Aspinall is the real champ in my book.

Sherdog crying that a fight with a badly injured Jones vs Aspinall hasn’t been booked when that was never the intent is priceless sherdog stupid
Yea, let’s have the interim champ have more title defenses than the “Undisputed Champ.” That will bring legitimacy to the HW division, genius.

Stipexwant no part of a Young killer like Asounal and he shouldn't at his age n career stage. Bones has nothing to gain taking the fight only a lot to lose. Bones would be stupid taking it (though I think he wins even now). Stipe is the most successful UFC HW champion n the UFC HW goat. He's a name and a great final fight win n likely a fairly easy fight .
Dana White bootlicker confirmed. You should go watch pro wrestling instead of MMA with that mindset.
Stipe is coming off a KO loss, hasn’t competed in 2+ years and is 40+ years old, for fuck sake.

Think Dana must've made some weird deal behind the scenes with Jon/stipe because only those 3 people care about the fight
I think Dana is milking his PPV baby.

Stipe is not relevant to the title picture, and Jones is fighting for a one-off, and has already avoided indicated he isn't interested in fighting the top new HWs.

This is the last relevant fight that Jones will take at HW.

It's a bummer we can't get going with the real HW championship, but I guess Tom can defend against another contender since neither of those guys are going to be fighting afterward anyway.

Dana being loyal for a change and gets heavily panned for it on Sherdog. More news at 6.
Dana only shows loyalty when it agrees with his checkbook. The reason for Dana making this fight is 100% money. He knows he won't get Jones to fight Tom, and still wants to squeeze another big PPV out of him. Stipe is the next best opponent for him commercially, so Dana is doing all he can to cash out.

The only people that don't want to see Stipe and Jones fight (imo) are people who just plainly hate Jones and don't want Stipe on his resume. They also think Aspinall will beat Jones, which they'd rather see.

I'd personally love to see both fights regardless of outcome, but the Stipe fight only makes sense if you do it ASAP. Aspinall isn't turning 40 something anytime soon.

And Jones may just retire, which he deserves to do. Well over a decade of dominance and championship fighting in now 2 divisions warrants respect and leeway. I don't expect Jones to attempt to beat the top 5 heavyweights at his advanced age in the same manner he did at LHW when he was 23.

That being said, I also think Jones smokes Aspinall, albeit, if father time and wear/tear catches up to him, Aspinall takes it.
Or people who are aware Jones wants Stipe ONLY because Stipe is OLD and Jones KNOWS he's an easy win. Gtfo....you fools who make excuses for Jones habitual bullshit are lame as fk.

Think Dana must've made some weird deal behind the scenes with Jon/stipe because only those 3 people care about the fight

What are Tom aspinalls career accomplishments and top wins.

“No,” White answered when asked if Aspinall could fight Jon Jones. “And we’re not stripping Jon Jones either...(It) ain’t happening,” White said. “Stipe, you have to understand this, if you look at what Stipe’s accomplished in this sport, what he’s done, where he’s at in his career, he wants the Jon Jones fight“ [Miocic] wants Jones and Jones wants Stipe, so it makes sense.” If Aspinall wants to fight before that fight happens, why not? Why not let him defend it (the interim title)?”

How little will this fight matter? How much of a casual will you need to be to buy this fight? Are you even interested in this fight a year from now? It only hurts Jones' legacy to duck the Interim Champ to fight Stipe. It doesn't help him at all.

Dana "I have always given Stipe exactly what he wanted" White

It’s crazy how the supposed “premier” MMA org is not interested in the best fighting the best, but rather showcase squash match ups.

They insist on giving Jones a washed up Stipe who’s been knocked out cold twice in his last 4 fights.

It’s how you end up with industry plants as champs.

That's effectively making a second parallel "veteran HW" division, which is kinda weird. I guess Jones and Stipe are gonna retire after their fight (I don't think they really wanna fight the likes of Aspinall or Pavlovitch), so that the interim belt becomes undisputed.

I don't blame Jones or Stipe for not wanting to have their skull caved in by the younger guys for their last fight, and obviously, Dana really wants their fight to happen too. Let that be and turn the page I guess.

Or people who are aware Jones wants Stipe ONLY because Stipe is OLD and Jones KNOWS he's an easy win. Gtfo....you fools who make excuses for Jones habitual bullshit are lame as fk.

You just confirmed everything I just asserted in my post lol.

You want Jones to take a less valuable fight economically and legacy wise coupled with a higher risk to lose...which is exactly what I said. It's just Jones hate masquerading as meritocracy defense. Yes, Aspinall is next in line for a title shot. And guess what? He can have Jones or Stipe afterward. He'll be none worse for the wear.

No idea what Jones' habitual bullshit is. He smoked everyone he's ever stepped in the cage with for over a decade and now you're crying because you want him to face yet another white knight that you hope will dethrone him so your emotional instability can feast off of him losing once in his career. It's sad and weird. If anyone has earned taking a money / legacy fight it's Jones, and Aspinall's staggering two fight win streak against Tybura and Sergei doesn't outweigh that. Plus, the UFC wants to make money and Jones/Stipe sells.

The truth is you're just ghastly afraid Jones will eviscerate Stipe like he has EVERYONE ELSE you've rooted for and then retire and then you'll never get to see your most hated obsession lose and be half as miserable as you are when you're watching him win for over a decade.

Deal with it?

Me, if Jones wins or loses his next couple of fights:

😴

There is no competitive architecture in the sport that's the damn problem,

The Top 15 is a popularity contest and once someone gets ranked and then becomes a champion they are way too selective of their fights.

Jones will never fight a young athletic killer at HW, way too risky, he will beat the corpse of 45 year old Fire Fighter and Part Time Fighter Stipe

smh

Dana "I have always given Stipe exactly what he wanted" White
Exactly.

Dana: I didn't want to insult Stipe by asking him to fight on short notice even though he was ready to go against Pavlovich and couldn't understand why we never called him. Because he's such a legend, I just want to give him the fight he always wanted, and it just so happens that Jon wants that fight too! So everyone's happy! The UFC is one big happy family, isn't that awesome?

So if Aspinall fights Gane or whomever and wins, he still won’t get Jones. Essential Dana telling Aspinall to put in work that won’t pay off. Makes sense.
Pretty much. And nvm the potential jinx of jones popping again, stipe not fighting, etc. these are 2 of the most inactive ufc fighters in the last decade here, and this fight has been “rumored” for over 3 years lol.

Aspinall should be more vocal about it imo but he’s not trying to burn his bridges with the ufc

I have no issue with Jones and Stipe both fighting each other and then retiring, but why does it even need the title? Jones won the HW title legit, he's going to retire anyway, what's the point?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back