Who can beat Islam?

I used to think full camp in a rematch but nooooo, he had to take that risk

Don't see Charles, Beneil, Arman, Dariush, or Justin beating Islam

The only other options are Colby & Leon
But Colby isn't beating Leon

So that leaves Leon... I actually do see beating Islam but I'm not confident that fight gets made. UFC would only make the fight if Colby wins
*correction * Colby is going to beat Leon and make it look easy.

Unless he pulls a khabib and quits before solidifying anything .
You mean, retires and settles into the sated life of a millionaire legend instead of hanging around to prove himself to unknowns on the internet?

I can beat Islam Makhachev. I just need the UFC to offer me the right numbers. To be honest, what they paid Volk will do.

Don't see Charles, Beneil, Arman, Dariush, or Justin beating Islam

The only other options are Colby & Leon
But Colby isn't beating Leon

So that leaves Leon... I actually do see beating Islam but I'm not confident that fight gets made. UFC would only make the fight if Colby wins
Hopefully we find out.

In the good ol days we used to wait until a guy defended his belt against he field before deciding he was unbeatable.

Right now he looks unbeatable. But he has not accomplished that yet.

Silva and Jones took on everyone. GSP fought the field twice basically. Conor, Penn, and Khabib did not. Benson's prime was sandwiched in between losses to Pettis.

I hope Islam stays at 155 and proves his mettle. If he doesn't, we should all be disappointed.

I’d like to see Gaethje be able to test him, but I worry about how vulnerable he looks at times when he can’t scramble out before the fight settles on the ground. If islam gets him to the fence, I don’t see Justin staying upright and keeping Islam off his back, but also when Justin is on, he seems capable of being perfect for significant stretches in terms of moving, inflicting damage, and scrambling before it gets thick. In the open mat I could see Gaethje doing really well

I think he will have more success vs Islam than he did vs Khabib. Islam isn't as aggressive and more composed, while that works in certain style match ups, I think here it will work more in Gaethjes favor as it gives him more room and time to work. And I think you gotta consider the durability factor, Khabib has a great chin and deals with taking damage very well, it allowed him to walk through Justins power shots. And Justin hit him with bombs and hard kicks, I don't see Islam getting through those shots.

Gaethje and Chandler have the best shot. Athletic enough to defend takedowns and explosive enough to finish on the feet. I wouldn’t favor either of them though

Maybe that K
0_Screenshot-2022-01-03-at-090239-copy.jpg

giphy.gif

This is a little odd. He has actually been beaten before. And many think Alex beat him earlier this year. How do we go from Alex beat him to nobody at LW can beat him?

There are too many people in here that literally know next to nothing about this sport. If you don’t know that ANYBODY can beat anybody in this sport. I don’t know what to tell you.

Favourites lose all the time, for whatever reason. Even the biggest favourites lose from time to time. There are a plethora of reasons that any fighter may not be at their best on any given fight day. But it’s not like team sports where you get to show it was just a bad day at the office in a cpl days, or a week.

When you only fight 1-3 times per year not being at 100% for any reason can cost you your title. Or your TS. And your shot at redemption can be many months away. If you even get a chance to redeem yourself.

Islam has beaten one top 5 LW if I’m not mistaken. And he’s beaten a cpl guys that came in on short notice. And that means he’s invincible now?

With exception of a possible size advantage and maybe a slightly better chin I don't see anywhere Shavkat would have an advantage over Islam.
Right, but Shavkat seems like two weight classes bigger than Islam without seeing them side by side.....He'd also have a 7" reach advantage, so the size would likely negate Islam's superior skillset.

Last edited:
This is a little odd. He has actually been beaten before. And many think Alex beat him earlier this year. How do we go from Alex beat him to nobody at LW can beat him?

There are too many people in here that literally know next to nothing about this sport. If you don’t know that ANYBODY can beat anybody in this sport. I don’t know what to tell you.

Favourites lose all the time, for whatever reason. Even the biggest favourites lose from time to time. There are a plethora of reasons that any fighter may not be at their best on any given fight day. But it’s not like team sports where you get to show it was just a bad day at the office in a cpl days, or a week.

When you only fight 1-3 times per year not being at 100% for any reason can cost you your title. Or your TS. And your shot at redemption can be many months away. If you even get a chance to redeem yourself.

Islam has beaten one top 5 LW if I’m not mistaken. And he’s beaten a cpl guys that came in on short notice. And that means he’s invincible now?
Islam knows this. And he knows "champ champ" is a cheat code to become a big name. Exponentially easier than defending the belt twice per year for 6 years.

And that's why he's excited to fight Colby.

And it's embarrassing that so many mma "fans" buy into that bout too.

This champ champ era is cheapening this beloved sport. Well, beloved by some of us....

Justin has a real shot.

He landed bombs on Khabib. Khabib just has an iron chin.

Yes

Islam is like an idea that consumes you, very dangerous yet so humbling.

Only sands of times may defeat Islam.

Back