Who do you agree with Mattis or Trump?

From the article:

President Donald Trump's top Pentagon advisers told Congress Tuesday they believe Iran is sticking to the 2015 agreement to halt its nuclear weapons program and expressed support for keeping the pact.

“At this point in time, absent indications to the contrary, it is something the president should consider staying in,” Defense Secretary Jim Mattis testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Asked about Trump's criticism of the deal, Mattis also offered that “I support the rigorous review that he has got going on right now." But when pressed by Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) on whether he thinks remaining in the pact is in the U.S. national security interest, he replied “Yes, senator, I do.”

Last edited:
Trump doesn't know a damn thing about the Iran Nuke deal other than Obama was part of it so he is against it and needs to undo it.

Typically, you want some text from the article so that people will actually read it.

The text can be tergiversed by the trumpos centrifugal energy.

Mattis is being asked directly to say whether the deal is in the best interests of the US in a yes/no answer.

He answers yes.

I'll go with Mattis, but I guess it doesn't matter because Trump knows more than the generals.

I said this another thread but even if you disagree with the Iran deal there isn't much the US can do on it's own outside of military action which would label us as a belligerent.

Their biggest trade partners are in Europe and Asia. For any US sanction to have teeth they would also have to sanction countries that trade with Iran leading to a trade war.

As long as Iran is playing ball you have to keep the deal intact.

Last edited:
Seems like Trump wants to renegotiate a better deal.

If he can get more out of Iran then that's a good thing.

So you think Trump is bluffing and wont decertify the deal?

Trump wants to walk away from one nuke deal while trying to negotiate NK to give up theirs. Why would NK trust America to live up to agreements when they're already walking away from one on the whim of the current President?

Hmm. Not sure that telegraphing your lack of honor is a good way to get better deals going forward.

Hmm. Not sure that telegraphing your lack of honor is a good way to get better deals going forward.

You wouldn't know what honor is.

Its not a treaty nor is it a signed document therefore its not legally binding.

"State Department letter, November 2015: The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a treaty or an executive agreement, and is not a signed document."

US Presidents have a 4 or 8 year shelf life. The POTUS Trump has zero obligations to follow thru with Obama's choices here.

You wouldn't know what honor is.

Its not a treaty nor is it a signed document therefore its not legally binding.

"State Department letter, November 2015: The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a treaty or an executive agreement, and is not a signed document."

US Presidents have a 4 or 8 year shelf life. The POTUS Trump has zero obligations to follow thru with Obama's choices here.

So you know what "acting in good faith" means?

The Iranian nuclear agreement was modeled after the North Korean agreement reached by the Clinton administration. Surely it will work out for the best this time guys.

I like and respect Mattis but I have to assume that he is saying what he says for tactical reasons. I have no confidence in this deal and have seen no evidence that Iran's adherence, whatever that is worth, is happening or even being effectively checked.

Says the guy who is willing to humiliate himself by defending the president scrapping deals... :) OK.

Scrapping deals that neither he nor congress agreed to in the first place.

You should thank me for educating you. You thought it was a signed treaty. Wrong. :)

Hth

Back