Who had the better MMA career: Jake Shields or Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
I really like this. The more loser of the two losers. Good stuff here man.
I think it’s hilarious that I made it very clear that the answer was obvious yet these guys are so excited to insult someone that they’ll let the thread go 4 pages long reiterating what I already said instead of focusing on the idiots that actually said Askren and those that still believe he could’ve ever beat GSP.

His last run and the Jake Paul mess has made him look so bad tho, most people will never know that was a seriously good fighter.

0-3 in the UFC
Recipient of the fastest KO ever.
Smashed by JB in pure wrasslin
Smashed by a boxer that is so bad he's not even a real boxer. But got tooled in a minute.

Askren ended his career just perfectly.

Just look at who Jake beat. Not many people have a resume as good as his. Askren is a great wrestler. Not a very good MMA fighter. His weak striking would have always been a huge disadvantage against the well rounded fighters. Guys like GSP, Usman, Colby, Koscheck and a few others would have a very easy time with him.

Shields no question.

Shields

Many good wins but actually one of the most impressive to me was beating Maia in what was basically a straight grappling match
I think what was the most surprising about how the grappling went to me was Maia kept getting takedowns and Shields just kept reversing to top position.

Similar styles, similar legacies. The answer to me is obvious but please discuss I want to see how far gone some folks are.

Jake Shields and its not even close.

Ben Askren is in the same boat as Hector Lombard. Dudes from other orgs that "hardcores" promised would beat top UFC fighters only to get destroyed by virtually everyone they fought

That's rhetorical. Jake throws a punch like a gal and Ben doesnt punch at all but Jake's career is clean with relevant wins in top promotions.

That's rhetorical. Jake throws a punch like a gal and Ben doesnt punch at all but Jake's career is clean with relevant wins in top promotions.
it is very rhetorical, i suppose i could have made that a bit more clear. shitpost targeting dumbass askren fans backfired on me.

Jake Shields and its not even close.

Ben Askren is in the same boat as Hector Lombard. Dudes from other orgs that "hardcores" promised would beat top UFC fighters only to get destroyed by virtually everyone they fought
Jake Shields is literally one of those guys. He's not a homegrown UFC talent yet he's one of the greatest WWs of all time lmao UFC marketing team got you brainwashed like a G.I. after a 5 year stay at Hanoi Hilton

I'm an Askren fan and always will be, but the answer is Shields. And it has nothing to do with this Jake Paul nonsense.

It mostly has to do with fighting fighters a tier lower than he should have when he was in his prime and thus not getting loads of top wins.

As an "Askrenite" (to use someone else's term), I never thought he'd beat GSP, but I thought he could be competitive and potentially win some fights in the next tier down from that. When he came into the UFC post-first retirement I thought he would beat Lawler, grind out a win against Till, and then lose to Marty Usman (who would be a horrendous matchup for him). Obviously, Masvidal took that path in a new direction in multiple ways.

I never thought he'd beat GSP or Marty Usman (or Woodley if they would have fought) because those are all horrendous stylistic matchups. In terms of the next tier down, I think he would have beaten some guys (like Lawler and Condit) while losing to others (perhaps guys like Hendricks and Colby).

I will say though just for this thread, a chunk of the "names" on Jake Shields list were not top fighters at the time he actually fought them. Even if they would eventually rise to some degree in the future.

At least jake had heart.both guys have horrible striking but jake actually damaged gsp on the feet and went the distance..ben got koed by a vlogger

That's a fucking stupid question. Jake Shields has an extraordinary record with multiple wins against world champions and contenders in the UFC and SF, and in two weight classes.

He beat Henderson, Condit, Daley, Maia, Mayhem, Woodley, Lawler, Kampmann, Ford, Akiyama, Pyle, Charuto, Thompson...

That's a fucking stupid question. Jake Shields has an extraordinary record with multiple wins against world champions and contenders in the UFC and SF, and in two weight classes.

He beat Henderson, Condit, Daley, Maia, Mayhem, Woodley, Lawler, Kampmann, Ford, Akiyama, Pyle, Charuto, Thompson...
yeah dude it was rhetorical, but i see my troll job struck a nerve.

Jake Shields by far. How is this even a question.

Back