Who had the better MMA career: Jake Shields or Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
Jake Shields for sure. He fought everyone

They both might be the worst strikers in UFC History
Shields is awkward and his style is ugly, he kind of punches like a girl... but he is much more efficient with his striking than one would expect by looking at it. He even manage to deal decent damage to GSP. Shields is Definitly a better striker than Ben, who is possibly the worst striker in the history of the UFC.
I still can't beleive most of Sherdog had Ben as a favorite vs Paul... C'mon guys!

Last edited:
I think what was the most surprising about how the grappling went to me was Maia kept getting takedowns and Shields just kept reversing to top position.
Not surprising that GSP choose not to take him down, not even once during their match.

This. OP is gone for even thinking this is even a slightly fair comparison. Ben had a good run outside UFC, but so do lots of people.
I didn’t think it was fair, I made it clear the answer was obvious. This was just a troll post targeting Askren fans that backfired because y’all don’t know how to receive rhetorical humor.

Oh well, I don't see the point of the irony then. What was your point?
Askren fans claiming he could beat GSP and that his win over Lawler proved he was legit. I wanted to see if they would go as far as to say he was better than Shields which some of them are.

You can even argue that cm punk had a better career than Askren because he took way less damage atleast and made more money in 2 fights lol

Askren fans claiming he could beat GSP and that his win over Lawler proved he was legit. I wanted to see if they would go as far as to say he was better than Shields which some of them are.

Who thinks that anymore? Who has thought that any time recently? Prior to his UFC debut many thought Askren might be one of the most interesting challenges. But I don't think it was a popular opinion regardless that he would beat GSP.

Your thread failed not because people have no sense of humor, but because your humor is based on a strawman that basically no one endorses.

Shields, and it isn’t even in the same ball park

Who thinks that anymore? Who has thought that any time recently? Prior to his UFC debut many thought Askren might be one of the most interesting challenges. But I don't think it was a popular opinion regardless that he would beat GSP.

Your thread failed not because people have no sense of humor, but because your humor is based on a strawman that basically no one endorses.
Oh well, life goes on. Some people answered the question directly others decided to ignore my original post and sling insults anyway. Some actually did pick Askren. Regardless, I’m still gonna make threads that people are still going to respond to. I wouldn’t call this a failure by any means, people like being right about something so that’s why it’s 7 pages deep. I’m happy I could reaffirm so many in their MMA intelligence.

Idk bro Askrenites said Ben could beat GSP so I was just getting a heat check lol tbh with you.
The Askren fans who were here before he joined the ufc were delusional. Just because he beat a couple of guys like Lima and korevkov he’s suddenly gsp level, lol NO. Look at my post history from years ago, I’ve always doubted Ben. He just plain stinks. Losing to YouTube stars. He should be 0-3 vs Robbie Lawler, Robbie was robbed.

Jake Shields is literally one of those guys. He's not a homegrown UFC talent yet he's one of the greatest WWs of all time lmao UFC marketing team got you brainwashed like a G.I. after a 5 year stay at Hanoi Hilton

The thread title is who had the better MMA career, not UFC career. Shield's UFC run might not have been fantastic but he still scored wins over Kampmann, Woodley, and Maia. Not to mention his resume shits on Askren's.

Maia, Woodley, Kampmann, Hendo, Lawler, Daley, Condit, Okami, Akiyama

Btw sorry your boy got starched by a Youtuber

dude, just look at jake's resume. it's unbelievable. he has fought the who's-who, and did very well. not a very close comparison.

I got Jake shields, ben had the worst ending of a carrier u can have

wtf

Ben has one top 15 win, and one top 10 win. How can this even be a question?

Similar styles, similar legacies. The answer to me is obvious but please discuss I want to see how far gone some folks are.
Both had very good careers, but to me, it's Jake Shields by a fairly comfortable margin. I say that as a big fan of Askren. Shields defeated Dan Henderson, won a belt to become double champ in Strikeforce against Robbie Lawler, beat Carlos Condit, outgrappled Demian Maia (though some may disagree), defeated Tyron Woodley, and a long list of many other accomplishments.

Askren has a great resume, but he just didn't quite have the strength of opposition in his wins that Shields did in my opinion -- I would say his biggest wins were defeating a prime Jay Hieron and (not quite prime) Duglas Lima. The way in which he won was usually super dominant as well. Others may have been bored from his fights, but I thoroughly enjoyed his scrambles and ability to utilize a folkstyle wrestling type of top control in MMA context that you don't see super often.

Uh it's Shields and by quite a lot.

Back