Who had the worst end to a great career?

That hurts to look at. Marlon was a monster and was doing well in that Cejudo fight. He was still showing flashes of brilliance during his losses too but damn it seems like once the body is done it's done.
He has looked okay in all his recent fights too, he's still unbelievably explosive and athletic, alas, it just isn't the same anymore.

Mma Fighters almost never go out on top. Khabib and gsp are a rare case.

so who had a great career but then just went downhill bad? My top 2 picks are. Bj and chuck.

BJ Penn -was regarded as a lw goat at the time. A p4p savage prodigy. after beating diego and defended his lw belt. He went 1-9-1 in a span of 9 years. Getting ko’d 2 times and subbed once. Lost a lot of decisions in those 9 losses. Also getting ko’d in street fights. Yikes.

chuck liddell - the iceman, ko’d people and looked like a legit badass. After losing his belt go rampage by KO, he went 1-6 in a span of 9 years getting knocked out bad in 5 of the 6 losses including 4 kos in a row before he retired.

Has anyone had a worst end to a great career than these 2?

Conor, and it isn't over yet!

I'm throwing Vanderlei Silva into the mix because he was the p4p best forever and ever and now hardly anyone throws his name into the goat discussions.
Um, roided to the kills against Pride cans. But yea, p4p best.
Not.

Tyron Woodley has been taking Ls across multiple platforms to end his career

MMA: lost 4 in a row

Boxing:

Screenshot-2021-12-19-at-05.31.52.png

Game show

Though those fights probably made him a lot of money, getting face planted by Jake Paul is definitely not a good look.

Man this thread making me realize how common this is. Sad to see these guys are taken better care of. Lots of formerly indestructible dudes going chinny and having a bad tail end. Tonys drop off has been bad, but it will probably get much worse

Good names, but don’t forget Tony ferguson. Major fall from grace for him.
Ah yes, completey forgot about ferguson. He was once the interim champ, said to be the one to beat khabib. Lost 5 straight and 2 of them were horrible beatings or vicious kos

Chuck, at least BJ wasn't getting flatlined continually, Tito vs Chuck III was one of the saddest fights in MMA history, as soon as Tito turned up the pace and hit Chuck he looked visibly panicked, I haven't seen a fighters chin deteriorate as bad as Chuck Liddell, by the end of his career I think Ben Askren could've knocked him out.

Lots of people are saying Fedor but he's only a candidate because he was SO ridiculously good for so long, that his decline to journeyman heavyweight may be the deepest. But he was still winning fights more often than not and showed flashes of decent form like his KO of Tim Johnson, beating Mir, etc.

On the other hand BJ Penn lost 7 fights in a row and Chuck lost 4 in a row by KO. There was nothing redeeming in their decline.

BJ wins (loses?) the tiebreaker for doing the tippy-toe thing that one fight.

Penn

Tony Ferguson is heading that path

Does Anthony Pettis or Cody Garbrandt count? They're up there.

I don't think so. Garbrandt looked pretty good in his last fight. It's premature to speculate about how his career will end.

Back