Who had the worst end to a great career?

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Mma Fighters almost never go out on top. Khabib and gsp are a rare case.

so who had a great career but then just went downhill bad? My top 2 picks are. Bj and chuck.

BJ Penn -was regarded as a lw goat at the time. A p4p savage prodigy. after beating diego and defended his lw belt. He went 1-9-1 in a span of 9 years. Getting ko’d 2 times and subbed once. Lost a lot of decisions in those 9 losses. Also getting ko’d in street fights. Yikes.

chuck liddell - the iceman, ko’d people and looked like a legit badass. After losing his belt go rampage by KO, he went 1-6 in a span of 9 years getting knocked out bad in 5 of the 6 losses including 4 kos in a row before he retired.

Has anyone had a worst end to a great career than these 2?

Fedor deserves a mention. I remember reading an article in, I believe fighters only magazine, quoting one of Fedor's coaches saying that Fedor's speed was notacibly declining. A couple months later, he gets submitted by Werdum and gets ko'd by Bigfoot half a year after that, and was never the same.

I'm throwing Vanderlei Silva into the mix because he was the p4p best forever and ever and now hardly anyone throws his name into the goat discussions.

Man, I love Wanderlei he was one of the fighters that really brought me into the sport. The end to his career wasn't as long of a string of brutal losses but I agree it was a very tragic ending. The fallout with the UFC was hard to watch/listen to and then the loss to Sonnen followed up by a random tetralogy with Rampage.... it was not a great way to end it. Imagine if it ended with that Stann win, that would have been amazing.

Tyron Woodley has been taking Ls across multiple platforms to end his career

MMA: lost 4 in a row

Boxing:

Screenshot-2021-12-19-at-05.31.52.png

Game show

Back