Who has the TDD to stop Khabib's takedowns?

According to this, (http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/ded18af0e4eae2f7)Tibau stopped all 13 of Khabib's takedown attempts and even got Khabib down once in 6 tries. Many people thought Tibau won this fight btw. Consider expanding you research beyond wiki before posting.

You're completely right. I never saw the fight and just made the assumption based on what I have seen and the fact that his record is 25-0 - which isn't entirely unreasonable but I must give credit where credit is due. I vaguely remember somebody else posting this as well and it slipped my mind.

Impressive. I just wonder how he would do today against a more evolved Khabib?

You're completely right. I never saw the fight and just made the assumption based on what I have seen and the fact that his record is 25-0 - which isn't entirely unreasonable but I must give credit where credit is due. I vaguely remember somebody else posting this as well and it slipped my mind.

Impressive. I just wonder how he would do today against a more evolved Khabib?
No worries man. There has been a lot of MMA between then and now. I just happened to see that fight. Like many fights today, the audience, Rogan and I were shocked at the decision. (that hasn't changed much).

Yes, I would love to see a rematch myself. I just read a recent interview with Tibau prior to responding to your post. He seems to think he got Khabib down twice. You can't fully trust fightmetrics...or fighters' memories.

It was NOT an action packed fight. Neither man landed many strikes and Khabib was the aggressor for the most part. I guess that's why the judges gave it to him.

Nobody at LW.. But under HW, possibly Woodley and GSP, most likely Romero and DC. Lee, Usman, and Colby have nothing for him imo. Outside of the UFC, but under HW, maybe Askren, Honeycutt, King Mo and Bader.

No worries man. There has been a lot of MMA between then and now. I just happened to see that fight. Like many fights today, the audience, Rogan and I were shocked at the decision. (that hasn't changed much).

Yes, I would love to see a rematch myself. I just read a recent interview with Tibau prior to responding to your post. He seems to think he got Khabib down twice. You can't fully trust fightmetrics...or fighters' memories.

It was NOT an action packed fight. Neither man threw many strikes and Khabib was the aggressor for the most part. I guess that's why the judges gave it to him.

So technically, just like the other GOATs, Khabib (who is a future GOAT imo) has the ONE misstep on his record , With Fedor it was that cut TKO, Jones the DQ, GSP the two Matts, Aldo was his early sub loss , DC is Jones etc. etc.

Only he had the luck to have the decision go the other way. hm. I think this make up for all the great fighters that were "X-1" with the 1* being a ugly scar whether it was rightfully earned or not.

So because of that, I can live with it. An anti-asterisk.

It's hard to say because he really doesn't rely on the traditional single or double leg shot from distance too often. He uses chain wrestling against the cage. And in addition to being really strong (which he is), he also knows EVERY trick in the book to get guys to the mat once he has them pressed against the cage. Ankle picks, trips, judo throws, etc. He "rocks the boat" (what we called it at my gym when I trained) as good as anyone I've seen. (Meaning he shifts his and his opponents weight back and forth but at varying intervals that makes them guess when he's going to attempt to drag them to the mat).

The thing is, (as has been pointed out numerous times), it's a very taxing style. We've never seen him do it for more than 3 rounds, nor against someone as offensively capable off their back. (RDA is a beast grappler but not the same offensive threat that Tony is off his back). In addition, Tony just doesn't get tired. So it will be very interesting to see what kind of energy Khabib has if this goes past round 2 and he's using the amount of energy he normally does.
Agreed. Tony will take the fight into deep waters and make it an exciting title match. Ferguson may even pull off a crazy submission for the win, imo.
I was so impressed by Nurmagomedov’s comments from his last fight. He said Barboza was a monster to hang onto in the beginning, but you'd never have guessed it by watching the fight. Khabib’s forward pressure was relentless. Tony will match this intensity, I think, and that makes for a brilliant fight.
Psyched for this one!

Ortega grappling with khabib is extremely interesting to me.

Consistently enough to win:

FW: Prime Aldo
LW: Prime BJ
WW: Woodley, GSP, probably Usman, probably even Rory. Prime Hendricks easily. Askren. More most likely at WW.

EDIT: Maia would probably be the one trying to take Khabib down lol.

I could see khabib take Maia down, only for Maia to hit that deep half sweep that he almost always gets. I'm more confident that Maia would end out on top in grappling exchanges, but khabib's ground and pound is a game changer.

A roided up, 180 pound Tibau. Or just to be sure: Romero.

It's hard to say because he really doesn't rely on the traditional single or double leg shot from distance too often. He uses chain wrestling against the cage. And in addition to being really strong (which he is), he also knows EVERY trick in the book to get guys to the mat once he has them pressed against the cage. Ankle picks, trips, judo throws, etc. He "rocks the boat" (what we called it at my gym when I trained) as good as anyone I've seen. (Meaning he shifts his and his opponents weight back and forth but at varying intervals that makes them guess when he's going to attempt to drag them to the mat).
interesting overview

So technically, just like the other GOATs, Khabib (who is a future GOAT imo) has the ONE misstep on his record , With Fedor it was that cut TKO, Jones the DQ, GSP the two Matts, Aldo was his early sub loss , DC is Jones etc. etc.

Only he had the luck to have the decision go the other way. hm. I think this make up for all the great fighters that were "X-1" with the 1* being a ugly scar whether it was rightfully earned or not.

So because of that, I can live with it. An anti-asterisk.
hahahhah I guess so. We'll see what happens if/when he faces Tony F. But I agree to your point, it's very difficult to complete a lengthy MMA career without losing (or winning a fight they really should have been a loss, or some sort of misstep).

I think Jose Aldo vs Khabib if Aldo decides to ever move up to LW would be an insane fight.

Fuck, Aldo mixed in LW with all the other sharks in an already overcrowded population of contenders gives me a huge solid MMA boner.
Lol maybe 5 years ago.
Aldo is done

I wish big Rigg was still in his prime. He would have stopped Khabib's takedowns and then Boom, big left hand:

tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Khabib right now is the closest thing we have to a mixed martial artist retiring as a 30-0 or more champion. It would hurt to see him get his first loss, but it will likely occur. Boxing has a bunch of these 40-0, 50-0 champions that retired but so far in mma the best we got is Jon Jones at 22–1 (1) .. Which easily could have been 24-0 if not for Jon himself fucking up. Perhaps even close to or at 30-0, but Jon is Jon and that is what it is. GSP also came close if not for the Matts.

Just a small little obsession of mine. Undefeated fighters that are fighting at the champion level just have such a great aura about them and makes watching their fights more exciting.

Anybody else ever got your nerves tightening up every time Anderson Silva got into the cage? At 13-0, 14-0, 15-0 etc. and just knowing that he won his fights in such a spectacular showing really got my blood pumping.

I must agree with you on this. MMA is still evolving so there is always the question of whether undefeated fighter X is going to be the one to reach the plateau of the sport. Boxing jus has very few surprises left at this stage.

Back