Who has the TDD to stop Khabib's takedowns?

I'm mean people underestimate him, but I genuinely think that Alvarez has a good shot at beating khabib. He's got great wrestling, and actaully has a background in it, toughest guy in the division as well as has respectable standup.

In your opinion - who are the guys that have the skills to stop the vicious grappling of Khabib ?
[FW-LW-WW range] ?

1C9ezviq_400x400.jpg

Clearly on the ground is where he is absolutely relentless (his striking is also very high pressure orientated but not nearly as sharpened as his ground skills) - so pretty much every fighter in the UFC that has faced him thus far has focused on trying to keep the fight standing.

And so far every man that has ever faced him has not been successful.
8hB8Erc.png

Some fighters were able to shrug off Damien Maia, most noteworthy Anderson Silva who kept the fight standing; but even then showed he was very tentative to engage due to the threat. So the threat of skilled grapplers is always there in the air lingering and fighters know that any second things can get messy.
hqdefault.jpg

Mix that with humble but improving and very aggressive striking skills and you got yourself a machine.
ZybPe4Y.gif

BUT. Khabib is a human after-all. SO, who do you think will be able to stop the ruthless take-downs of this current "aura of invincibility" contender?

maxresdefault.jpg

The most obvious answer would be the current interim champ Tony F, who we were supposed to see fitght a bajillion times by now but seeing as that is already one of the most talked about fights in the mma world let's try to diverge from that.

In this thread, suggest some fighters you think may have the potential to stop the grappling of Khabib Nurmagomedov and explain your reasoning.
[FW-LW-WW range] ?

- Thuckey

I'm mean people underestimate him, but I genuinely think that Alvarez has a good shot at beating khabib. He's got great wrestling, and actaully has a background in it, toughest guy in the division as well as has respectable standup.

Interesting opinion. Yeah, I think many people count him out and overlook him after the McGregor fight.

Perhaps Gaethje underestimated him, even unconsciously believing he could finish him off like Conor did, and he paid the price.

He couldn't get Tibau down, zero takedowns, and Tibau won that fight too, no way he lost.

Out of the other fighters.. at LW or WW.. he would not be able to take Askren down, Askren would wrestle him to death. He would not be able to take Woodley down. Many of the others guys at LW or WW he can take down I think.

This may in fact change the course of the fight in the later rounds. They both know this. So while Khabib and team train to prepare for those rounds, Tony and team so the same, perhaps conserving more energy than usual in the first 2-3 and then having Tony take it up a notch in the ladder rounds to try to go for a finish if possible.

All in all, I know that it will be an amazing fight - I don't think I have look forward to fight with such anticipation for a long time.

I have a feeling it will not be the last time that they meet either.

Honestly, I don't think Tony really needs to conserve energy. The guy is literally one of those freaks that just never get tired.

I mean, if you look at the RDA fight, it was 5 rounds in Mexico City. You had 135 lb guys gassing halfway through their 3 round fights and slowing down due to the altitude. Yet Tony dialed it UP after round 2 and was more active and on point in rds 4 and 5 than early in the fight. And it's not like he was conserving energy early on, he just couldn't really find the range on RDA (understandable, it's not like RDA is a scrub ha ha).

After that fight, it was pretty obvious that the term "cardio machine" isn't even enough to describe Tony. "Cardio Cain" gassed horribly in round 2 in Mexico City. I mean, I know he's a HW so it's different. But he's the HW who's calling card was his gas tank.

I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying Tony might have the best conditioning of any fighter in MMA history. He pushes an absolutely frenetic pace, and can do it for 25 minutes with no issues. It's just insane.

In your opinion - who are the guys that have the skills to stop the vicious grappling of Khabib ?
[FW-LW-WW range] ?

1C9ezviq_400x400.jpg

Clearly on the ground is where he is absolutely relentless (his striking is also very high pressure orientated but not nearly as sharpened as his ground skills) - so pretty much every fighter in the UFC that has faced him thus far has focused on trying to keep the fight standing.

8hB8Erc.png

Some fighters were able to shrug off Damien Maia, most noteworthy Anderson Silva who kept the fight standing; but even then showed he was very tentative to engage due to the threat. So the threat of skilled grapplers is always there in the air lingering and fighters know that any second things can get messy.
hqdefault.jpg

Mix that with humble but improving and very aggressive striking skills and you got yourself a machine.
ZybPe4Y.gif

BUT. Khabib is a human after-all. SO, who do you think will be able to stop the ruthless take-downs of this current "aura of invincibility" contender?

maxresdefault.jpg

The most obvious answer would be the current interim champ Tony F, who we were supposed to see fitght a bajillion times by now but seeing as that is already one of the most talked about fights in the mma world let's try to diverge from that.

In this thread, suggest some fighters you think may have the potential to stop the grappling of Khabib Nurmagomedov and explain your reasoning.
[FW-LW-WW range] ?

- Thuckey
According to this, (http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/ded18af0e4eae2f7)Tibau stopped all 13 of Khabib's takedown attempts and even got Khabib down once in 6 tries. Many people thought Tibau won this fight btw. Consider expanding you research beyond wiki before posting.

GSP, Hendricks, Woodley, Covington and probably Usman.

Conor. Lol j/k.

At LW I don't think anybody can stop his TDs.

If he moves to WW he would have a lot of troubles with Woodley and GSP for sure.

[FW-LW-WW range] ?

1C9ezviq_400x400.jpg

8hB8Erc.png

hqdefault.jpg

ZybPe4Y.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

[FW-LW-WW range] ?

- Thuckey

The only decent wrestlers he's faced were Tibau who gave him some problems and Michael Johnson who is pretty hit and miss.

I think at WW he'd have problems with Woodley, GSP, Covington, Lawler and Maia (not taking him down but general grappling).

At lightweight there's not really any stand out exceptional wrestlers.

The only decent wrestlers he's faced were Tibau who gave him some problems and Michael Johnson who is pretty hit and miss.

I think at WW he'd have problems with Woodley, GSP, Covington, Lawler and Maia (not taking him down but general grappling).

At lightweight there's not really any stand out exceptional wrestlers.

MJ? His wrestling (and grappling overall) are not good at all.

Tibau was most likely juiced up for the Khabib fight, and that was Khabib's first fight in the UFC. That said, Tibau should have won the decision.

I think Khabib is way more refined in how he gets guys to the mat now than when he faced Tibau though.

I think Jose Aldo vs Khabib if Aldo decides to ever move up to LW would be an insane fight.

Fuck, Aldo mixed in LW with all the other sharks in an already overcrowded population of contenders gives me a huge solid MMA boner.
That’s a dream fight for me

Prob two of all time favorites I’m not sure who’d I’d be more happy with winning

The guys that can compete in that aspect are probably a couple of weight divisions up.

Also at ww he probably can't get woodley, lawler or usman down either

[FW-LW-WW range] ?

1C9ezviq_400x400.jpg

8hB8Erc.png

hqdefault.jpg

ZybPe4Y.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

[FW-LW-WW range] ?

- Thuckey
I do.

Back