Who Hits Harder: Gaethje or Poirier?

Yeah, it's hilarious when I see people claiming Gaethje has better defense than Oliveira or questioning his defense while ignoring Gaethje's terrible striking defense, it's just bizarre. At least Oliveria hits people more than he gets hit.

That’s not nearly the interesting data point IMO that some people seem to think it is. The striking discrepancy Charles ran up in the Tony fight, or in round two of the DP fight, had nothing to do with “striking defense.” Furthermore, “taking one to land one” might be a terrible strategy or a great strategy depending who you are. It’s a great strategy for Ngannou and it’s a bad one for Dom Cruz.

I don't see why Charles couldn't outstrike Gaethje at least at points in the fight, Gaethje gets hit a shit load and he's either lost rounds or gotten rocked in many of his UFC fights(Johnson, and Ferguson rocked him, Chandler rocked him a bunch and took round 1, Dustin and Alvarez took rounds and finished him).
I’m not saying he won’t have his moments - surely he will. He landed some very good shots on Dustin which is harder to do than with Justin. He won’t get the better of it. Justin will do more damage and will be much more likely to land the kill shot.

All that said so think Charles clenches him and finishes him at some point. Justin doesn’t have half the defense Porier does

I’m not saying he won’t have his moments - surely he will. He landed some very good shots on Dustin which is harder to do than with Justin. He won’t get the better of it. Justin will do more damage and will be much more likely to land the kill shot.

All that said so think Charles clenches him and finishes him at some point. Justin doesn’t have half the defense Porier does

I give Gaethje the edge on the feet but i could see Charles hurting him standing, especially with something like a knee to the body.

WiltedRegularGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif
Nah, that's called waving goodnight. <45>

I think this is true, but only early. Gaethje cannot keep up the pace that Oliveira pushes, especially if Oliveira is attacking the body. I think gaethje needs a clean knockout within the first 7 minutes or he'll be fucked both on the mat and on the feet.

Conor

Eddie fought all of them and he said Conor hits the hardest

I don't see why Charles couldn't outstrike Gaethje at least at points in the fight, Gaethje gets hit a shit load and he's either lost rounds or gotten rocked in many of his UFC fights(Johnson, and Ferguson rocked him, Chandler rocked him a bunch and took round 1, Dustin and Alvarez took rounds and finished him).

If by outstrike you mean land more then I agree. Problem is that Charles hit the deck while playing that game during each of the last two title fights. He’s playing with fire.

I do think JG needs to stay on his bike though, because if CO punches his way into the clinch JG could be in trouble. He needs to keep moving like he did against Khabib, catch Charles on his way forward, and close the show if and when he hurts him.

I’m expecting a fairly brief fight.

If by outstrike you mean land more then I agree. Problem is that Charles hit the deck while playing that game during each of the last two title fights. He’s playing with fire.

I do think JG needs to stay on his bike though, because if CO punches his way into the clinch JG could be in trouble. He needs to keep moving like he did against Khabib, catch Charles on his way forward, and close the show if and when he hurts him.

I’m expecting a fairly brief fight.

I think he can land more and/or hurt Gaethje on the feet and get a finish starting from that position. I expect Gaethje to have the advantage but anyone saying Charles couldn't possibly outstrike him to either a win by decision or rock him or hurt him with a body shot and finish him is going too far.

I don't expect Charles to fight him like it's a kickboxing match with MMA gloves though, he's got a lot more tools and I think he will try and take advantage of that. I can see a fast finish from either guy or something like Charles' last fight where it's a war and then someone gets finished.

Agree. Those body shots are nasty. Charles vs Islam is gonna be interesting.

Very if he gets passed Gaethje. I could see Charles being dangerous against Gaethje with elbows off clinch breaks as well due to his height/reach advantage. I really don't think anyone's going to be holding the belt too long and I like that.

No question Gaethje was the first and only person to one punch him, but there is a reason why Edson didn’t defend any of the hammerfists, he was out.

Yeah, that's why I agree enough not to argue the point, and I think your distinction between both finishes is good.

Other than Khabib, he's never been even threatened with a submission. Take him down, he gets back up. He wasn't able to defend Khabib, but I wouldn't read too much into that.
Other than Khabib Gaethe never fought a decent offensive grappler. If you compare how Gaethe did to how other opponents of Khabib did, Gaethe grappled like a white belt.

Meh.
The only common opponent is Chandler, and Charles was able to finish him while Justin could only take to a decision. (Tony fought 5 rounds with Gaethje and 3 with Charles, so it is not apples to apples).
So who hits harder? it doesn't matter.
Accuracy trumps power, and Oliveira obviously win there!

Justin can talk... but so far, Charles is the favorite IMO.

Meh.
The only common opponent is Chandler, and Charles was able to finish him while Justin could only take to a decision. (Tony fought 5 rounds with Gaethje and 3 with Charles, so it is not apples to apples).
So who hits harder? it doesn't matter.
Accuracy trumps power, and Oliveira obviously win there!

Justin can talk... but so far, Charles is the favorite IMO.
Untrue, the other common opponent is Cerrone who TKO’d Charles.

Back