Who is your favorite Tough Chick in film history?

Honorable mention is the trio at the end of Deathproof. Fucking loved the ending and such a crush on Zoë Bell.

Literally the toughest chick in this thread.

Laura%2Bvs%2BReavers.gif

I know its TV and not film but I put this gals toughness (not powers) up against them all.

5772dd86dd0895c4708b46a8-750-563.png

So the character being female was a description rather than definition?
Lol no, Ripley excels as a female character and (in ALIENS) couldn't be written as a man. While it's true she was supposed to be male it isn't something that most anti SJWs should pin their argument on because ALIENS totally exploits feminine archetypes. As does Sarah Connor. The reason why this "stereotyping" wasn't criticized as much is because the zeitgeist at the time wasn't so rabid about being offended and, more importantly, her arc was part of a compellingly told story. It's not so much that there's a dearth of well told stories today either, but rather it's that there aren't many stories that can be told and we've already seen the good versions so the new shit doesn't compare for some audiences.

Lol no, Ripley excels as a female character and (in ALIENS) couldn't be written as a man. While it's true she was supposed to be male it isn't something that most anti SJWs should pin their argument on because ALIENS totally exploits feminine archetypes. As does Sarah Connor. The reason why this "stereotyping" wasn't criticized as much is because the zeitgeist at the time wasn't so rabid about being offended and, more importantly, her arc was part of a compellingly told story. It's not so much that there's a dearth of well told stories today either, but rather it's that there aren't many stories that can be told and we've already seen the good versions so the new shit doesn't compare for some audiences.

Really though I think it comes down to whether the film sells its viewpoint, Fury Road was generally loved yet that's very clearly a political film yet its one that like Aliens or T2 actually works via getting you to care about the characters and there by the message. A lot of recent cinema tends to just end up as cheaply preaching to the choir and that obviously means you get a much more negative reaction to it.

Really though I think it comes down to whether the film sells its viewpoint, Fury Road was generally loved yet that's very clearly a political film yet its one that like Aliens or T2 actually works via getting you to care about the characters and there by the message. A lot of recent cinema tends to just end up as cheaply preaching to the choir and that obviously means you get a much more negative reaction to it.
It seems like you're conflating your own reaction with the film's intention, and you've said stuff before about "unintended effects" of story like that's somehow the fault of someone other than yourself. But it's not like I want to argue with any of ....that.

The two points I want to make about your notion of politically charged movies are these:

Politically charged gender roles are used to further story, not further politics. Movies creating a negative political backlash are silly and it's a complete shit show chiefly because if you're learning life lessons from a movie what you need is more life, fucker. Fucker being a BLADE RUNNER reference and not a pejorative.

Second point is while shoehorning in women is a political move, the politics stop there. All they want is more representation on screen. Assigning value to those representations as being lessons we must swallow is again needing more out of life than movies. We were not ever saying Indiana Jones is what it means to be a man, gimme a break. Give yourselves a break.

Seen a lot of the standards. Here are a few more...

Leia (Star Wars)
Alice (Resident Evil)
Diana (Wonder Woman)
Black Widow (Avengers)
Katniss (Hunger Games)
Letty (Fast and Furious)

Not a movie but Lagertha from Vikings is pretty damn badass

Cartoons count? Y'all musta forgot!

character_princess_mulan_a0e486d8.jpeg

Otherwise I am going with Geena Davis as Samantha Caine/Charli Baltimore in The Long Kiss Goodnight (underrated movie). She would murk Uma Thurman as the Bride no problem.

lkgn1_orig.jpg

edit: I have The Long Kiss Goodnight on DVD, I think I shall watch it tonight

Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil.

Never saw it but I remember tank girl being a thing back then.

Back