Who would you favor over a prime Tyson?

I see Vitali, Wladimir, Foreman, Lennox and Holyfield having no problem with a prime Tyson.
Too bad the Holyfield fight didn't pan out when it was originally scheduled. I think the deck was stacked against Tyson by the time they did fight. Holyfield put on more than 20 pounds, and was used to fighting Bowe and Lewis, while Tyson languished in jail and faced a string of no hopers to get prepared.

Both Klits
Lewis
Ali
Foreman
Holyfield
Motivated Buster
Chuck with that look

Hard to say with George as his physical prime was surely behind him once he made his comeback as a much smarter tactician. Younger George's uppercut or older George's jab would have been tough on Tyson.
Definitely give young George a better shot than comeback George.

He changed after signing with King and dropping his trainers. Cus and Jacobs died leaving room for King to angle his way in.

Cus and his team were the only people Tyson respected to the point they could keep him on the straight and narrow and made him train to an elite level, Cus would not accept half assed training.

Tyson's coaches when under King couldn't make Tyson train to the same intensity or with the same level of technique, Tyson's whole style was modeled after Cus's Peek-a-boo guard, no one was better at teaching it than Cus.

I don't know about being favoured over prime Tyson but Ali, Holmes, Lennox and Wlad I would give a great shot to.

Noone.

Buster, Evander and Lenox didn't fight Tyson with speed. From 88 it's different story, he wasn't boxer anymore but brawler. Strength before speed, different training, motivation, Lifestyle, everything. These guys that won against him were not even close to him in his prime and don't forget with proper training he would improve even more. D'Amato's and Rooney's Tyson was the best boxer ever and he could become even better! Speed, stamina, movement, headmovement, punching power, intimidation, everything!

Such a pitty cause his head wasn't on right place. He needed a mentor and guidance all the time and than he was like invincible pit bull, without mentor he was just another fighter.

Last edited:
Is there any HW in history you would favor to beat a prime Mike Tyson?

I think Vitali would have had a very good chance to beat him. Vitali was tall, rangy, awkward, and had an iron chin.

Vitali i believe would be murdered but Lennox would have always beat any version of tyson

Noone.

Buster, Evander and Lenox didn't fight Tyson with speed. From 88 it's different story, he wasn't boxer anymore but brawler. Strength before speed, different training, motivation, Lifestyle, everything. These guys that won against him were not even close to him in his prime and don't forget with proper training he would improve even more. D'Amato's and Rooney's Tyson was the best boxer ever and he could become even better! Speed, stamina, movement, headmovement, punching power, intimidation, everything!

Such a pitty cause his head wasn't on right place. He needed a mentor and guidance all the time and than he was like invincible pit bull, without mentor he was just another fighter.
if if if if The "best" boxer ever with zero wins against a top boxer in his prime. Tyson never had the guts to fight through adversity against the best. This was always his big weakness. But have fun in fantasy if land.

Noone.

The problem with ranking a pre '89 Tyson is his quality of opposition. I agree he no longer trained properly after splitting with Rooney but don't think he would have improved significantly had Cus never passed away. To me he was just like a battery discharging, with his athleticism and technique dissipating, the further removed he was from the team that built him. He was basically a 6 round fighter by the second Ruddock fight and just a shell after serving his prison sentence.

Last edited:
if if if if The "best" boxer ever with zero wins against a top boxer in his prime. Tyson never had the guts to fight through adversity against the best. This was always his big weakness. But have fun in fantasy if land.
He did have guts. He made it to his feet against Douglas and fought bravely to the end against Holyfield.

Ali, Foreman, and maybe Lewis.

That's about it though. Vitali gets honorable mention.

Lol. This is total bullshit.

Go google some more records.

Vitali i believe would be murdered but Lennox would have always beat any version of tyson

I'm not sure if it's true. I read somewhere that young Tyson sparred with Lewis when they were young and Tyson got the better of him. Again, I'll have to go through some of my old videos to find the source of that comment. I do like the taller boxer puncher types with a great chin to beat someone like Tyson. I think Ali and Foreman would have beaten Tyson in his prime. They both had great chins, patience, and great punching power. They were crafty enough to survive the first 5 rounds and take Tyson into deep water which would make him lose confidence in himself and ultimately lose. Tyson was at his best when he saw fear in his opponents. He would not find any fear in the eyes of Ali or Foreman, death would have stared back at him.

He did have guts. He made it to his feet against Douglas and fought bravely to the end against Holyfield.

We are comparing him to alltime greats. Everyone even stepping into the ring has a lot of guts. But compared to the likes of Holyfield, Foreman, Bowe, Ali, Frazier...etc its a big discrepancy. Thats what I was talking about. The important factor is that he could not overcome these situations like Holy but get the loss.

He has no big signature wins against the elite. Hell people argue he was out of his prime at 23 <Lmaoo> to make up for his loss. Buster Douglas dominated him before the knock out and difference was that he wasnt intimidated. I really cant remember a fighter who gets more excuses by his fans than Tyson.

Holyfield was matched up with him because King thought he was out of prime (well he was but not that much) after his losses against Moorer & Bowe and being well into his thirties. Well he still beat Mike into TKO . Mike was a money machine like no one else but regarding boxing he cant compare to the best.

Mike Tyson was a world class talent. I would never dispute that. Its a joy watching a young Tyson. We saw that early in his career but he never had the mental strenght and ability to overcome adversity like the greatest boxers of all time.

His best win may be Ruddock. That should tell something.

Tyson Fury, or Nicolai Valuev. Just too tall
Sure.

1985-11-13-TysonXEddieRichardson-1-sg.gif

We are comparing him to alltime greats. Everyone even stepping into the ring has a lot of guts. But compared to the likes of Holyfield, Foreman, Bowe, Ali, Frazier...etc its a big discrepancy. Thats what I was talking about. The important factor is that he could not overcome these situations like Holy but get the loss.

He has no big signature wins against the elite. Hell people argue he was out of his prime at 23 <Lmaoo> to make up for his loss. Buster Douglas dominated him before the knock out and difference was that he wasnt intimidated. I really cant remember a fighter who gets more excuses by his fans than Tyson.

Holyfield was matched up with him because King thought he was out of prime (well he was but not that much) after his losses against Moorer & Bowe and being well into his thirties. Well he still beat Mike into TKO . Mike was a money machine like no one else but regarding boxing he cant compare to the best.

Mike Tyson was a world class talent. I would never dispute that. Its a joy watching a young Tyson. We saw that early in his career but he never had the mental strenght and ability to overcome adversity like the greatest boxers of all time.

His best win may be Ruddock. That should tell something.
I don't completely disagree with you but I think you're wrong in saying he had no guts. Not quitting while you're taking a beating is the definition of having guts. He fought hurt until the ref stopped both his fight with Douglas and Holyfield.

if if if if The "best" boxer ever with zero wins against a top boxer in his prime.

Who the heck is calling Tyson the "best" anything? He was an amazing boxer who took over the sport when he was really needed but no one would call him the best. Straw man argument.

On topic, Tyson notoriously struggled against taller fighters so I'd pick anyone with real talent who really towers over him. Ali, Ken Norton, Lenox Lewis, Foreman, etc...dudes like that.

Back