Who's the most entertaining/exciting NHL player to watch of all-time?

Was Wendel Clark one of the most exciting/entertaining players to watch?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be necessarily the highest scoring players.

But my pick is Wendel Clark, he was the complete package. He can score, hit, fight do it all really. Just pure entertainment when he's on the ice. And he was only 5'11' 194 lbs.

This is his best tribute/compilation video.

Click on - Watch on YouTube.

hq720.jpg

Gretzky. It's the easy answer but it's the correct answer. We don't have to make this complicated. Dude was absolute electricity when he was on the ice. Just touching the puck would have people out of their seats. If you were in a building when he played you know the difference between him and everyone else.

As far as power forwards go, guys like Clark are definitely up there. Lindros also doesn't get enough credit in these discussions for various reasons. The skills he had for a guy that size were amazing.

Lindros also doesn't get enough credit in these discussions for various reasons. The skills he had for a guy that size were amazing.
I used to watch Lindros live when he played in Oshawa. He was the literal living definition of "a man amongst boys". His size, skill, speed, and ability to read the play was multitudes higher than everyone else.

As far as the OP, Gretzky is the obvious answer but others who may not have put up the same numbers were just as "exciting" to watch. Lemieux, Bure, Lafleur & prime Denis Savard (there's a reason the spin-a-rama was named after him) all qualify as exciting.

Jagr for forwards. Size, speed, scoring touch, really agile for a big man.

Nate McKinnon is another. Watching him back off defenders and the fear in their eyes. A special talent.

Defense, sticking with Colorado, Cale Makar. His talent is undeniable, but it is his fearlessness that really sets him apart for me.

Gretzky. It's the easy answer but it's the correct answer. We don't have to make this complicated. Dude was absolute electricity when he was on the ice. Just touching the puck would have people out of their seats. If you were in a building when he played you know the difference between him and everyone else.

As far as power forwards go, guys like Clark are definitely up there. Lindros also doesn't get enough credit in these discussions for various reasons. The skills he had for a guy that size were amazing.

I understand Gretzky was an unbelievable scoring machine. But he never captured the audience attention imo as Wendel Clark did, who was something special in his prime.

I understand Gretzky was an unbelievable scoring machine. But he never captured the audience attention imo as Wendel Clark did, who was something special in his prime.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that in my entire life, even from Maple Leafs fans.

<36>

There's a world outside of Toronto.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that in my entire life, even from Maple Leafs fans.

<36>

There's a world outside of Toronto.

If we're talking about different aspects of the game. Clark has to be up there as one of the most entertaining/exciting players to ever play again. Regardless if he ever played in Toronto or not. He would be a superstar a fan favorite in any team. Including your favorite one.

This has nothing to do with Toronto, but the player himself and how he played pure guts, heart, ferocity all that. That to me will capture the audience attention no other.

And that's why you see the most popular players in your respective team are usually the gritty, tough, in your face, character players.

If we're talking about different aspects of the game. Clark has to be up there as one of the most entertaining/exciting players to ever play again. Regardless if he ever played in Toronto or not. He would be a superstar a fan favorite in any team. Including your favorite one.

This has nothing to do with Toronto, but the player himself and how he played pure guts, heart, ferocity all that. That to me will capture the audience attention no other.

And that's why you see the most popular players in your respective team are usually the gritty, tough, in your face, character players.

Clark was obviously a fan favorite and fun to watch, especially taking physicality/fighting into account, but in no way, shape or form was he overall more exciting than Gretzky.

There are players who captured the attention of the entire audience league-wide. It's a very select group and Clark isn't in it. If you want to discredit Gretzky for not fighting or hitting then that's up to you but having watched both it's not even a comparison for me.

People will tell stories of when they had the opportunity to watch guys like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux etc in person. Stadiums were captivated when they were on the ice and it didn't depend on who was playing. They transcended being fans of a team.

As for the most popular players on your team being the gritty, character players, go ask an Oilers fan who the most popular Oiler is of all time. It's not Messier. Or if you want to weigh fighting even more, it's not Semenko or Brown. Or Zack Stortini. Lol.

Clark was obviously a fan favorite and fun to watch, especially taking physicality/fighting into account, but in no way, shape or form was he overall more exciting than Gretzky.

There are players who captured the attention of the entire audience league-wide. It's a very select group and Clark isn't in it. If you want to discredit Gretzky for not fighting or hitting then that's up to you but having watched both it's not even a comparison for me.

People will tell stories of when they had the opportunity to watch guys like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux etc in person. Stadiums were captivated when they were on the ice and it didn't depend on who was playing. They transcended being fans of a team.

As for the most popular players on your team being the gritty, character players, go ask an Oilers fan who the most popular Oiler is of all time. It's not Messier. Or if you want to weigh fighting even more, it's not Semenko or Brown. Or Zack Stortini. Lol.

It's subjective depending what you find more entertaining/exciting. If you are more into the offensive scoring part of the game than of course you will be more entertained by that. I'm more into the physical part of the game therefore guys like Clark, Lindros, Neely, Tocchet are all stands out to me in the game. But that's just my taste doesn't make it right or wrong.

When did I discredit Gretzky? Not once I said something bad about him. He's an offensive monster and his game very entertaining in that one aspect. But for me I find the physical aspect more entertaining.

Trust me Dave Brown, Semenko and Marty McSorley we're highly popular players for the Oilers at that time. In fact it didn't matter what team they played. They'd be top 3 top 5 most popular players of their respective team.

I'll give you another example. In Toronto Wendel Clark is looked as a god. And he wasn't a scoring machine like Sundin and Gilmour. Why do you think he's the most popular maple leaf? Maybe because people in Toronto lean towards players that play with toughness, grit, heart. Those type of players capture the audience attention. It's been like that since the beginning.

Anyways the entertainment aspect can be looked upon differently depending on your subjective perspective in what you think is entertaining. Again I'm not saying Gretzky is not entertaining, he's just not my cup of tea.

It's subjective depending what you find more entertaining/exciting. If you are more into the offensive scoring part of the game than of course you will be more entertained by that. I'm more into the physical part of the game therefore guys like Clark, Lindros, Neely, Tocchet are all stands out to me in the game. But that's just my taste doesn't make it right or wrong.

Indeed it's subjective, which is why this statement is hilarious:

How many people do you think agree with that statement? Lol.

When did I discredit Gretzky? Not once I said something bad about him. He's an offensive monster and his game very entertaining in that one aspect. But for me I find the physical aspect more entertaining.

I'm saying you're discrediting him in terms of being "exciting" because he wasn't physical. Again, to each their own. I also enjoy the physical part of the game but certain players were completely out of this world skill-wise that it doesn't matter.

Trust me Dave Brown, Semenko and Marty McSorley we're highly popular players for the Oilers at that time. In fact it didn't matter what team they played. They'd be top 3 top 5 most popular players of their respective team.

I know they were and yes they'd be top 5 on their respective teams. Fans of other teams weren't buying tickets to watch them play though. You're answering your own question here.

I'll give you another example. In Toronto Wendel Clark is looked as a god. And he wasn't a scoring machine like Sundin and Gilmour. Why do you think he's the most popular maple leaf? Maybe because people in Toronto lean towards players that play with toughness, grit, heart. Those type of players capture the audience attention. It's been like that since the beginning.

"In Toronto."

In the entire league, Gretzky is looked at as a god. That's the difference.

Anyways the entertainment aspect can be looked upon differently depending on your subjective perspective in what you think is entertaining. Again I'm not saying Gretzky is not entertaining, he's just not my cup of tea.

That's perfectly fine but you should take a step back and look at the broader picture. The Oilers and Kings were far from my favorite team, Gretzky wasn't my favorite player, and I enjoy the physical aspect as much as anyone. However, I can acknowledge that from the point of view of excitement, there is really no one higher on the list.

Again, if you were in an arena when he played, you'd see what happened just from him touching the puck. People have come to take Gretzky for granted because he's so far beyond what anyone else accomplished.

Anyways, I'm not going to spend my time convincing a Leafs fan they shouldn't appreciate their players. If you're a massive Clark fan then that's great.

Indeed it's subjective, which is why this statement is hilarious:

How many people do you think agree with that statement? Lol.

Why is that statement hilarious? Again there other people who find the physical aspect of the game more entertaining than the offensive part of the game. I'm not the only one there are plenty of people out there who find that more entertaining. Even more than what Gretzky achieved and done.

If you can't realize that, than so be it. Will just move on.

I'm saying you're discrediting him in terms of being "exciting" because he wasn't physical. Again, to each their own. I also enjoy the physical part of the game but certain players were completely out of this world skill-wise that it doesn't matter.

Again this is all comes to subjective perspective. If you find Gretzky out of this world, than good for you. Yes he was great. But I just don't think he's the most entertaining player that ever played.

I know they were and yes they'd be top 5 on their respective teams. Fans of other teams weren't buying tickets to watch them play though. You're answering your own question here.

I don't think you understand how much people loved the physical part of the game especially 80s and early 90s. When Probert had a rematch with Domi (after Domi beat him and gestured that he was the HW champ.) They fought again in Madison Square Garden. And that was the hot ticket, it was sold out in seconds for that game. I don't think anyone cared about the game but the fight itself.

"In Toronto."

In the entire league, Gretzky is looked at as a god. That's the difference.

I think Gretzky highly respected for the offensive contributions he did for the game, his records are pretty unbreakable. But it doesn't necessarily mean he's the most entertaining player that ever played. There's a definite distinction there.

That's perfectly fine but you should take a step back and look at the broader picture. The Oilers and Kings were far from my favorite team, Gretzky wasn't my favorite player, and I enjoy the physical aspect as much as anyone. However, I can acknowledge that from the point of view of excitement, there is really no one higher on the list.

That's all good man, if you believe he's the ultimate entertaining hockey player, than that's perfect. No need downplay a player I find most entertaining just because it doesn't gel with what you think.

Anyways we can agree to disagree, that's good with me.

Why is that statement hilarious? Again there other people who find the physical aspect of the game more entertaining than the offensive part of the game. I'm not the only one there are plenty of people out there who find that more entertaining. Even more than what Gretzky achieved and done.

If you can't realize that, than so be it. Will just move on.

Again this is all comes to subjective perspective. If you find Gretzky out of this world, than good for you. Yes he was great. But I just don't think he's the most entertaining player that ever played.

I don't think you understand how much people loved the physical part of the game especially 80s and early 90s. When Probert had a rematch with Domi (after Domi beat him and gestured that he was the HW champ.) They fought again in Madison Square Garden. And that was the hot ticket, it was sold out in seconds for that game. I don't think anyone cared about the game but the fight itself.

I think Gretzky highly respected for the offensive contributions he did for the game, his records are pretty unbreakable. But it doesn't necessarily mean he's the most entertaining player that ever played. There's a definite distinction there.

That's all good man, if you believe he's the ultimate entertaining hockey player, than that's perfect. No need downplay a player I find most entertaining just because it doesn't gel with what you think.

Anyways we can agree to disagree, that's good with me.

No one is "downplaying" anyone. You're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing. Clark was an extremely good player. Fans of other teams weren't buying tickets just to watch him play though. That's just reality. And yes, I understand how popular physical play was. I also understand how popular Gretzky was. I witnessed both firsthand. It's not very comparable.

No offense but you're the quintessential example of why everyone makes fun of Leafs fans. In that sense, I'm downplaying you I suppose? ;)

Yes, we'll agree to disagree.

Clark is viewed as a god by Leafs fans because they like to support LOSERS!!!!

You set yourself up for that.

No one is "downplaying" anyone. You're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing. Clark was an extremely good player. Fans of other teams weren't buying tickets just to watch him play though. That's just reality. And yes, I understand how popular physical play was. I also understand how popular Gretzky was. I witnessed both firsthand. It's not very comparable.

No offense but you're the quintessential example of why everyone makes fun of Leafs fans. In that sense, I'm downplaying you I suppose? ;)

Yes, we'll agree to disagree.

lol it's all good, you take care now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back