Whose side do you take?

A is now saying that all the whities in the park need to rise up and smash B and minorities, now what?

A is now screaming the N word at a 10 year old in the park - what do you do now?

Take my kid to a different part of the park and explain how speech isn't to be met with violence and that only a fool gives a fuck what some loony in the park is saying.

A is now saying that all the whities in the park need to rise up and smash B and minorities, now what?

Sounds like an incitement to violence if he's saying to smash the minorities currently in the park. One should then call the po-po and either leave or prepare for a self-defense scenario.

That's not true. If someone called you a bitch in the streets it would start a fight.

True but that's like what I said earlier. You kind of accept when you start fighting you can get into trouble

A is now screaming the N word at a 10 year old in the park - what do you do now?
Lol that was almost the example I used. It changes nothing for me. You can't attack him without first accepting the consequences

Take my kid to a different part of the park and explain how speech isn't to be met with violence and that only a fool gives a fuck what some loony in the park is saying.

Sounds like an incitement to violence if he's saying to smash the minorities currently in the park. One should then call the po-po and either leave or prepare for a self-defense scenario.

Not your kid / a kid by himself playing.

I like your answers though

Lol that was almost the example I used. It changes nothing for me. You can't attack him without first accepting the consequences

No verbally assaulting a minor is not the same as calmly reciting mein kampf in the park. Now he is cajoling the white kids to attack the brown one? Are we still good?

Person A: is standing in a public park spewing all kinds hateful speech, using racial slurs, but not physically threatening anybody

Person B: is a hippy and speaks nothing but peace and equality for all

Situation: B is listening to A talk from a nearby park bench. Person B begins to notice people walking away from A visibly distraught. This upsets him and he approaches A and begins to speak out against him. Growing frustrated at the hateful speech person B attacks person A.

Was person A wrong for their actions? Ideologically it may be easier to side with world peace but is it ok to physically attack?

Now this all should be fairly obvious to most of us, but by some of the recent conversation I'm curious as to what some of you will say

Once you enact violence and assault someone, you lose the moral high ground IMO.

Violence is also a very ineffective tactic because it only strengthens the resolve of the person you're attacking and puts the violent person in danger of being arrested or being hurt if the person being assaulted starts defending themselves.

That's why when people gleefully talk about how people should punch Nazis, I just have to shake my head. Play that situation out: a group of Neo Nazis are marching, an opposing group jumps them and beats them up. Then what? Do the Nazis denounce their hateful views and become good people? Or do they just fill up with more hatred, cling harder to their own views and show up next time to get revenge? Then we get what we have now: a vicious circle where two opposing groups are going to these rallies to cause bodily harm to complete strangers. And that escalates and you get unhinged people bringing knives, guns, home-made bombs and causing casualties, or as we saw in Charlottestown driving a car through a group of people.

Not your kid / a kid by himself playing.

I like your answers though

No verbally assaulting a minor is not the same as calmly reciting mein kampf in the park. Now he is cajoling the white kids to attack the brown one? Are we still good?

No not that part, I was referring to yelling the n word at em

Restrain the assaulter, and call the cops. Spend the time waiting for the cops telling the hateful person why he's wrong. This should not be easy, as hatred for other people that is not based upon actions is usually something not easily supportable.

I am on my side. And my side alone.
And if anybody gets in my way....
I have learned to ignore such naysayers when... quelling them... Was out of the question.

there's an old saying, by some stereotypical country character:

"them's fightin' words."

now, that's not how our legal system works, but, as far as general society goes, there are some things you can say that once uttered, as a person with enough reasoning skills, you should consider yourself now in a fight.

if we're having a disagreement, and you say you hope my daughter gets gang raped, the punch that follows should not be considered a sucker punch, nor should you be able to say you were surprised to find yourself in a fight.

now legally, that's assault, frankly in most cases attempted murder. But is it an altogether unreasonable response?

Eh.

the distinction is really that which constitutes figthin' words to each individual. as in the example racial slurs getting thrown out, right around that borderline no matter who you are.

my point is, though its probably "wrong", i dont want punching a motherfucker in the face to disappear from our society entirely.

some motherfuckers just need to be punched.

Siding with B is a slippery slope as the definition of what becomes acceptable can be manipulated.

there's an old saying, by some stereotypical country character:

"them's fightin' words."

now, that's not how our legal system works, but, as far as general society goes, there are some things you can say that once uttered, as a person with enough reasoning skills, you should consider yourself now in a fight.

if we're having a disagreement, and you say you hope my daughter gets gang raped, the punch that follows should not be considered a sucker punch, nor should you be able to say you were surprised to find yourself in a fight.

now legally, that's assault, frankly in most cases attempted murder. But is it an altogether unreasonable response?

Eh.

the distinction is really that which constitutes figthin' words to each individual. as in the example racial slurs getting thrown out, right around that borderline no matter who you are.

my point is, though its probably "wrong", i dont want punching a motherfucker in the face to disappear from our society entirely.

some motherfuckers just need to be punched.

Good post. It seems most people at least partially agree with B, but they understand for society to thrive it has to condemn B

C. I touch them both with the pocket sand and jab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back