Opinion Why are people angry at white privilege being real?

It's pretty simple. You know how a black person gets angry when a store owner follows them, because the store owner stereotyped them as a likely shoplifter? That feeling isn't unique to blacks and other "minorities". Nobody wants to be judged or treated differently based on the colour of their skin. Telling white people that they should have to pay because for the actions of some other white people is just as ridiculous.

You can't take a huge group of people and assume they're all going to have the same experience and opportunities. There are a ton of white people out there who were given nothing and have very little opportunity. There are a lot of black people who are born into middle to upper class homes who will be affording many opportunities.

So, again I ask... is this an inherently white issue ("white privilege")? Or does that not fit the narrative?

(not asking you, using this as an example)
I think most people here live in a majority white society so this is all they have experience with. I will say I had no problem doing whatever I wanted just couldn’t go some places and it was aggravating since they didn’t mark the door or signs

The problem with the concept of "white privilege" is the same as all the other problems resulting from wide, sweeping racial stereotyping.

When indulged into by the masses, in their great simplicity, with none of the intellectual considerations required to handle such a delicate and complex issue, the only cause that it serves to advance, is the further awakening of race consciousness, and the acknowledgement of one's particular racial interests and characteristics.

We've already seen the results of bombarding people's consciousness with "white privilege". The results haven't been overtly positive. As all other forms of prejudice, it is yet another barrier preventing two individuals from having normalized social interactions with one another, irregardless of the race or religion that they happen to represent. Whenever you have to acknowledge your race and another person's race, and "check" yourself before interacting with a member of another ethnicity due to certain "ethnic considerations", that inevitably becomes a potential source of division, between race lines.

The reality is that we are all privileged compared to some other group of people populating the planet. No need to whip yourself over it. If you feel like you need to make amends for wrongs committed in the past, then by all means. But make amends as an individual, not as a representative of something as loosely defined as "white people".
I'm trying to think of who the truly "unprivileged" person in every sense would be... probably a pregnant mentally disabled Rohingya refugee. Who is also ugly. Fuck. Now I feel like just for considering that, it will be me in a future life.

You can't even express a definition of white privilege for a start. It's not just you. People dance around the issue because they fear the truth which is that how much melanin one has in their skin doesn't make a difference. What makes a difference is you culture, your family upbringing and effort.
well if you want to have a serious discussion then it will have to go a little deeper than these threads generally allow. So i'll start and see if you are serious about this.

------------------

When you look at the different types of privilege around the world would you say no privileges exist anywhere?

- Do you think there is a current or historic First World privilege and just simply living in the First World gives you privileges most in the 3rd world do not have?

- Do you think there is a current or historic socio-economic privilege exist based on your family status and history that others may not have?

- Do you think there is a current or historic Gender privilege?

- Do you think there is a current or historical privilege in being Christian and separately heterosexual in much of the Western world?

If you do not think any of the groups mentioned above ever had any privilege please state which ones and if you agree they had privilege but think that has stopped please indicate when approximately.

Obviously the follow up question would be then on specific melanin privilege and if you acknowledge it ever existed in N.America or any where in the world and if you acknowledge it did, then when do you think it ceased to be a privilege.

Hey man haven't you heard, its Asian privilege thats all the rage nowadays. Or at least that's what these right wingers will tell you in order to appease the leftists.

Thanks right wingers for throwing asian people under the bus with all this Asian privilege crap, get accused of being privileged, so accuse another group of being even more privileged, nice one. You right wingers really have asian people's backs, thanks again.

Nevermind the fact that affirmative action was specifically created to hurt the asian community, so now even poor asian-americans have to score 300 points higher than other people. I think thats something called institutional racism, but thats not a problem is it? Naw, institutional racism in 2018 in supposedly a meritocracy isn't a problem at all.

I asked for a definition of white privilege.
If you have to dance around that and back into the annuls of time and the world then I must conclude you are afraid to discuss the topic in the US.
When you look at the different types of privilege around the world would you say no privileges exist anywhere?

- Do you think there is a current or historic First World privilege and just simply living in the First World gives you privileges most in the 3rd world do not have?

- Do you think there is a current or historic socio-economic privilege exist based on your family status and history that others may not have?

- Do you think there is a current or historic Gender privilege?

- Do you think there is a current or historical privilege in being Christian and separately heterosexual in much of the Western world?

If you do not think any of the groups mentioned above ever had any privilege please state which ones and if you agree they had privilege but think that has stopped please indicate when approximately.

Obviously the follow up question would be then on specific melanin privilege and if you acknowledge it ever existed in N.America or any where in the world and if you acknowledge it did, then when do you think it ceased to be a privilege.

Hey man haven't you heard, its Asian privilege thats all the rage nowadays. Or at least that's what these right wingers will tell you in order to appease the leftists.

Thanks right wingers for throwing asian people under the bus with all this Asian privilege crap, get accused of being privileged, so accuse another group of being even more privileged, nice one. You right wingers really have asian people's backs, thanks again.

I haven't seen anyone accuse Asians of being "more privileged" as much as showing them as a case of people, in general, who have done well despite the so called "white privilege" that holds minorities back.

In majority white countries, whiteness alone doesn't mean shit. Privilege is based on class, attractiveness, family, wealth, height etc. This somehow gets conflated with just being white. Really odd.

This isn't the case overseas though, where whiteness *alone* is enough to grant you special treatment, and where white privilege undoubtedly exists.

People that tout white privilege love to point to the macro results but never want to discuss the path that achieved said results. Sure white people are more successful as a whole but that’s just a statistic. Any privilege a white child is born with was earned by his parents hard work. In every family tree there was a person who sacrificed their life so their children could have a leg up.

do you think there is any needed context for that statement or do you see it as an absolute?

That is what evidence is, but you failed to say what type of evidence, since there are many different types, would actually convince you. It's a reasonable question to ask someone who is demanding evidence.

You're projecting here. And if you really didn't know what definition people are using how can you conclude it doesn't exist? You're whole post just reeks of intellectual dishonesty.

The wiki definition seems fine to me.

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit people whom society identifies as white in some countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

If you actually want a dialogue you will have to describe the evidence that you would find convincing, or at least a description of what it would look like. People don't like to waste time with people who are very closed minded.

This could be a quick and easy conversation if you accept the definition above.
Excellent post btw and the reason why true debates on this topic typically cannot be engaged.

I asked for a definition of white privilege.
If you have to dance around that and back into the annuls of time and the world then I must conclude you are afraid to discuss the topic in the US.
See post 399 for a very clear definition i would agree with.

The wiki definition seems fine to me.

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit people whom society identifies as white in some countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

there is nothing exclusive to black people that applies to that definition.

Nevermind the fact that affirmative action was specifically created to hurt the asian community, so now even poor asian-americans have to score 300 points higher than other people. I think thats something called institutional racism, but thats not a problem is it? Naw, institutional racism in 2018 in supposedly a meritocracy isn't a problem at all.
That's what the left call "positive discrimination". You can't pin that one on the right. Nice try though. LOL

The right generally believes in a flat playing field even if that means that only Chinese with Tiger Mom's get into Harvard. We are okay with it. There are many colleges/universities to attend and if one wants to go to Harvard they have to step up their game.

Last edited:
If you have something to say about it then say it.
Nope. thats ok. As stated these discussions are not the type i have any desire to engage in with any absolutists. I'm not looking to say things just to bounce off an absolutist wall who is looking for a flame war partner as so many are in these discussions.

Nope. thats ok. As stated these discussions are not the type i have any desire to engage in with any absolutists. I'm not looking to say things just to bounce off an absolutist wall who is looking for a flame war partner as so many are in these discussions.

Remo Williams was a great film

Do you honestly think that minorities have better job prospects just because there are a few token positions for them in government jobs?
Are you serious? You know nothing about corporate America. Minorities have WAY better job prospects if everything else is equal.

You are ignorant.

Yes if your name is Bon qui qui latoyus you may have some obstacles in your way in the hiring process but I garuntee you the same thing would happen if the other candidate was chinese,Indian and Arab but of course no one's labelling that Arab privallage. They have to be selective about how they can frame it.

The real dirty conversation that no one's having isn't that of white privilege it's actually black disprivilege and there is a difference. Wanna talk about a majority privallage? Go be black in China and tell me all about the Chinese privallage when they run through the hiring process as a black person.

A simple name like Tyrone, is enough to fuck up your hiring process, LMFAO @ you coming up with some crazy ass name to diminish my point....As for not hiring chinese,indian,and arabs.....I never said they didn't face discrimination, but I see that you are trying to imply, that Im hardcore pro black...Thank you for proving my point tho, everybody gets discriminated on, but Whites rarely get discriminated by name.

So china is a shitty racist country....Whats your point? America is better in the process, thus we shouldn't complain? LMFAO...Dude the whole world is fucked up, thats why I said everybody is priviledge to be in America because there is worse places, like China.

You really have something against black people, dont you?

Back