Why are people are calling stipe the goat?

Even jones is calling him like that, it's above me

goat of what? goat of getting knock out by struve , cormier and ngannou?

Stipe doesn't use gear ko DC and thank Jebus before the water works and suspension for cheating.

<mma1><mma1><mma1>

He holds the HW title defense record which makes him the divisional GOAT...

R u like new or something?

Stipe is 8-2 in his last 10...

And 2-2 in his last four.

(sorry if it's been said, I'm still early in the thread...)

No other HW has a better resume than him.
Even if Jones beats him, Stipe is the HW GOAT.

He has beaten Ngannou, Cormier, JDS, Overeem, Werdum, Arlovski, Hunt, Gonzaga, Roy.

No. Jon Jones is a career LHW. He has no significant HW resume or accomplishments at all. Beating him is a great win just because it’s Jon Jones, but beating the LHW GOAT at the end of his career after moving up a weight class, does not make Stipe HW GOAT. It might end the debate over whether he’s #2 or Nog is, but that’s it.
Stipe's already ahead of Nog, who was excellent but couldnt beat Fedor in both of their primes. I would give prime Stipe a 50/50 chance of beating Fedor.

Right, GOATs get destroyed by Matt Serra and Takase and Chonan in their primes lmao.

Or dropped like a sack of shit by Jake Paul.

There's a few posters here who turn off all their brain cells when it comes to Fedor. Everyone starts looking like shit if they fight long enough.

Reactions: TR1
Being of the opinion that Fedor isn't the greatest HW ever and acknowledging that he mostly fought very subpar competition isn't shitting on Fedor.

Not acknowledging Fedor had nearly twice as many fights while continuously competing in Sambo competitions which caused a lot more mileage resulting in an earlier decline of peak athleticism, factored in with a few recently past prime losses to fighters TRT’d to the gills (Bigfoot, Hendo) is not a complete and accurate description of his career. Even Fedor’s coaches admitted he was declining during the Arlovski fight. While Fedor definitely fought a few cans in his prime - while staying active unlike Stipe or Jones has recently - most were much larger than him OR carried enough power to be dangerous and offset lack of technical skill.

Add that in the conversation.

There are no goats.
Only champs that hold the belt for a while.
The outstanding ones are Double Champs that hold and defend both belts actively.
Conor & DC hold that distinction.

Not acknowledging Fedor had nearly twice as many fights while continuously competing in Sambo competitions which caused a lot more mileage resulting in an earlier decline of peak athleticism, factored in with a few recently past prime losses to fighters TRT’d to the gills (Bigfoot, Hendo) is not a complete and accurate description of his career. Even Fedor’s coaches admitted he was declining during the Arlovski fight. While Fedor definitely fought a few cans in his prime - while staying active unlike Stipe or Jones has recently - most were much larger than him OR carried enough power to be dangerous and offset lack of technical skill.

So Fedor was able to compete against alleged "monsters" in Pride that were on totally unregulated steroids, but he couldn't beat 41 year old MW's who were on sanctioned testosterone?

Size and power are good to have, but without technical skill it means literally zero. Same as Mariusz Pudzianowski would never beat Tim Sylvia or Bradley Martyn wouldn't beat any high tier MMA fighter despite his "brah, I'm 260 pounds".

Be that as it may. It all doesnt change the fact that picking Stipe over Fedor is a valid opinion and certainly not "shitting on Fedor". Acting like it's some kind of affront or insult to think that way is frankly just childish.

Stipe never lost 3 in a row, including to a middleweight Dan Henderson. Stipe did it in a better era against better competition. Are you saying beating Kevin randleman and mark coleman, two former champs, is the same as beating werdum and JDS, also two former champs?
Are you saying that beating Arlovski in 2016 like Stipe did is better than beating Arlovski in Jan 2009, when he was a year and a half removed from being UFC champ and was the #2 ranked HW in the world?

Look, I like Stipe, he’s a great fighter. But he benefitted greatly from hitting his peak at a time when many HWs were aging. He fought Arlovski 7 years after Fedor did; he fought Hunt nearly a decade after Fedor did. 2016 Overeem was likewise a far cry from the Ubereem that was DREAM/Strikeforce/K1 champ in 2010. JDS was pretty shot; JDS and Stipe were both in or close to prime the first time they fought, and JDS won. Cormier? Old AF and fighting his last fights before retiring, and sparked Stipe out the first time they fought.
Would Stipe even have been champ again without Dana giving him an automatic rematch against DC? Hard to say.

It’s not about that, the fact is the heavyweight division got more skilled and fedor started losing
The HW division got more skilled, so Fedor started losing to other fighters from PRIDE? Werdum and Hendo fought in PRIDE, it’s not like they were some new generation of fighter.

Stipe's already ahead of Nog, who was excellent but couldnt beat Fedor in both of their primes. I would give prime Stipe a 50/50 chance of beating Fedor.
So Nog can’t be #2 HW because he couldn’t beat the #1 HW, but Stipe can be the #1 HW even though he never even fought the #1 HW, because you like to imagine he’d have won if he had?
<Neil01>

Resume and accomplishments, that’s what matters. Nog has an insane resume.

There's a few posters here who turn off all their brain cells when it comes to Fedor. Everyone starts looking like shit if they fight long enough.

they’re just young posters who didn’t watch pride lol

Stipe is UFC HW GOAT his resume and accomplishments speaks for itself not even a fan either

I’ve never thought the guy who racked up the most past-prime ko’s at heavyweight was the goat. Cain is more goat than Stipe imo

Are you saying that beating Arlovski in 2016 like Stipe did is better than beating Arlovski in Jan 2009, when he was a year and a half removed from being UFC champ and was the #2 ranked HW in the world?

Look, I like Stipe, he’s a great fighter. But he benefitted greatly from hitting his peak at a time when many HWs were aging. He fought Arlovski 7 years after Fedor did; he fought Hunt nearly a decade after Fedor did. 2016 Overeem was likewise a far cry from the Ubereem that was DREAM/Strikeforce/K1 champ in 2010. JDS was pretty shot; JDS and Stipe were both in or close to prime the first time they fought, and JDS won. Cormier? Old AF and fighting his last fights before retiring, and sparked Stipe out the first time they fought.
Would Stipe even have been champ again without Dana giving him an automatic rematch against DC? Hard to say.

The HW division got more skilled, so Fedor started losing to other fighters from PRIDE? Werdum and Hendo fought in PRIDE, it’s not like they were some new generation of fighter.
Mark hunt was in better form at the time stipe beat him than at the time fedor beat him. Arlovski went on a 3 fight losing streak after the fedor loss, and a 4 fight losing streak after the stipe loss. Yes he was older, but fedor and stipe both snapped his win streaks at the time.
JDS went 1-1 after he beat stipe, then won 3 in a row after losing to him. That’s still a very good win. In JDS’ “prime” which you said he was in when he beat stipe, he lost to cain twice including getting finished.
Overeem stayed consistent after he lost to stipe, and unless I’m misremembering, he didn’t leave the top 5. Overeem is a top ten heavyweight all time. DC was definitely old, and he only had one performance outside of stipe around that time with Derrick Lewis, and he did pretty good in that

also stipe never lost to a middleweight, and he never lost 3 in a row before

stipe
-werdum
-overeem
-jds
-dc 2x
-arlovski
-hunt
-ngannou

beats

fedor
-big nog 2x
-cro cop
-coleman 2x
-randleman
-hunt
-arlovski
-sylvia

Stipe is the most successful champion in ufc hw history

I can't wait till this fight with Jones gets postponed and UFC magically renegotiates with Francis allowing them to fight on a post Usada card juiced to the fucking gills
Dana playing 4D chess rn

I can't wait till this fight with Jones gets postponed and UFC magically renegotiates with Francis allowing them to fight on a post Usada card juiced to the fucking gills
Dana playing 4D chess rn
even as a juice monster with lots of hype, francis isn’t worth it. at this point, the ufc has a long term interest in jones being perceived as the goat, and in nggano being perceived as a flash in the pan.

Size and power are good to have, but without technical skill it means literally zero. Same as Mariusz Pudzianowski would never beat Tim Sylvia or Bradley Martyn wouldn't beat any high tier MMA fighter despite his "brah, I'm 260 pounds".

Be that as it may. It all doesnt change the fact that picking Stipe over Fedor is a valid opinion and certainly not "shitting on Fedor". Acting like it's some kind of affront or insult to think that way is frankly just childish.
Trying to call my childish when I have been anything but, only having a differing opinion is ironic.

Back