Why Aren't UFC Fighters Allowed the Luxury of Smoking Marijuana?

WY3lX.gif

Were they high, becuase you still "have weed in your system" over a week after smoking a joint.
Not necessarily. It depends on the testing performed. There are different standards for a positive test look at what @dimspace posted.

Were they high, becuase you still "have weed in your system" over a week after smoking a joint.
I dont know If they were high. All i know is you cant have weed in your system while fighting.

That means lay off the goodie goodie 1-2 weeks before fight night.

I dont know If they were high. All i know is you cant have weed in your system while fighting.

That means lay off the goodie goodie 1-2 weeks before fight night.
Doesn't even take a week to pass under the new standards.

I've never understood why UFC fighters are not allowed to smoke weed, it's not like it has any effect on training or fighting. Smoking it in competition is banned but honestly fighters should be able to smoke weed whenever they want, have they not earned that right? The NFL and NBA doesn't care if players smoke weed, so my question is why does the UFC make such a big deal of it?

They are allowed to smoke weed so long as it doesn't turn up in an in competition drug test.

oh man, if you were here a few years ago you would hear a bunch of posters talk about how its a PED because you can get hit in the face repeatedly and not feel it

i have no idea - weed cures all, if more people smoked weed, we'd prob hav a lot less angry assholes everywhere - my friend used to play football at UCLA, only way he could get through the day to day grind was to puff a bit - better than pain killers - most of his team did so as well
It helped me a lot. I used to play three sports (baseball, basketball, and football) and used to take pain killers but they made me feel like a zombie. I started growing my own stuff for I needed it for and my sleep and daily life improved, and I could actually function during my recovery time.

Haven't they tweaked the rule to make it so you pretty much have to smoke weed the day before or of the fight to get fined? I mean I still think that is a dumb rule but it is also pretty lenient. Personally I wouldn't want to be stoned during the fight, but I'm all for smoking outside of competition.

oh man, if you were here a few years ago you would hear a bunch of posters talk about how its a PED because you can get hit in the face repeatedly and not feel it

There are still a lot of people on here with some very goofy opinions on weed, a few months ago there was some guy comparing Marijuana addiction to alcoholism and other legit drug addictions.

They can, just not smoke during fight week or even the day, I'm not sure, they raised the level allowed. Basically to the point where you can't be using it every day all day up to the fight or high while fighting as your level would be too high. This was the Nick Diaz situation, he passed WADA test, but failed the commission's. WADA tests for a certain level and passed them, the commission tests for just the presence of it in your system.

I'm going way out on a limb here. But my best guess is because it's still pretty much against the law almost everywhere.

It might as well be permitted. As long as you are not in the drug program they do not test for recreational drugs during the season, only PEDs. Players have a random drug test when you enter training camp. You know the day of the test. If you pass you can literally smoke all season long without fear of failing a test.

And risk losing millions of dollars potentially if you get caught up. Which has happened plenty of times the last few years. And yeah you can use the argument, be smart and never travel with weed and only smoke at home. But we're talking about 22 and 23 year olds with millions of dollars. Their vision can get pretty hazy with all those yes men and all that excess cash. The number one suspending offense for marijuana has been DUI/DWI time and time again.

And risk losing millions of dollars potentially if you get caught up. Which has happened plenty of times the last few years. And yeah you can use the argument, be smart and never travel with weed and only smoke at home. But we're talking about 22 and 23 year olds with millions of dollars. Their vision can get pretty hazy with all those yes men and all that excess cash. The number one suspending offense for marijuana has been DUI/DWI time and time again.
That's because they are idiots. Read my reply again it is an iq test. You have to literally be mentally handicapped to fail an nfl test for weed.

Because athletic commissions are a part of each respective state government. They in turn pander to archaic politicians/thinking.

Why was Ricky Williams banned by the NFL for marijuana?

He was never banned. But he popped several times and spent some of the best years of his career on the sidelines for failing 5 drug tests of which three were proven to be weed. He was playing in the CFL when he could have been making 6-7x that and getting the equivalent of exposure state side.

I smoke, and I understand his use tied to anxiety. But when what you put into your body effects millions of dollars and your legacy, maybe find another way. For me the worst case scenario when I smoke is I eat fast food or eat super late and feel like shit the next morning so the stakes aren't obv in the same universe.

Back