Why did Anderson turn into such a jerk in the Maia, Côté fights?

Historically, people felt that GJJ was for playboys in Brazil, while Luta Livre or MT were for lower classes...

Spider was tryin´to motivate himself, after Maia said he was goin´ to take him down...

they were both bjj black belts at the time, though?

Before then he wasn’t a bad guy.

Was he being a dick because he didn’t respect the quality of opponents he was recieving?

He didn’t try stupid shit with Chael because he was a threat.

Why was he mocking and belittling them.

He was terrified to end up on the ground with Maia... which is something none of us fully appreciated at the moment, but in hindsight we should all understand (Silva knew then what we all know now; going to the mat with Maia is bad medicine). So he was trying to get Maia to just get frustrated and rush in so that he could counter and be done with it.

Cote is a little confusing. There is an argument that a bit of the same was happening, except this time Silva was afraid of the KO power in Cote's hands. I don't really buy, that, though. I think the idea around at the time, that he was more or less insulted by and bored with the match-up, is likely closer to the truth.

they were both bjj black belts at the time, though?
He got it in 2005.

On a side note, there´s an ol´story about Spider in Chuteboxe:Rumours had it that Cordeiro even slapped him once coz Spider was "stealing" BJJ students from one of his friends in Curitiba...

He got it in 2005.

On a side note, there´s an ol´story about Spider in Chuteboxe:Rumours had it that Cordeiro even slapped him once coz Spider was "stealing" BJJ students from one of his friends in Curitiba...

Maia didn't even start training BJJ till he was 19 and already an adult, so i'm not sure how bjj training could be tied to a "privileged upbringing" for him. Silva was just talking shit.

One of these days I'd like to know a little bit more about your background. You a Luta Livre guy?
One day, Gono will tell the whole truth (but not here!, bums here no longer want to debate with him, they go full ad hominem...)

B why.gif

Gono´s a traveller...

Gono.png

Maia didn't even start training BJJ till he was 19 and already an adult, so i'm not sure how bjj training could be tied to a "privileged upbringing" for him. Silva was just talking shit.
Im talkin´about the general perception in Brazil...

The way I see it, Spider was bored, mentally... Tryin´to motivate himself... Quite childish tbh...

It´s an ol´feud...

@ 0mn45:

Im talkin´about the general perception in Brazil...

The way I see it, Spider was bored, mentally... Tryin´to motivate himself... Quite childish tbh...

It´s an ol´feud...

@ 0mn45:

that is hilarious

Before then he wasn’t a bad guy.

Was he being a dick because he didn’t respect the quality of opponents he was recieving?

He didn’t try stupid shit with Chael because he was a threat.

Why was he mocking and belittling them.
Because they were beneath him.

i mean, if you're the champ and no one does anything all fight (literally) then it has to be called a draw and the champ retains the belt. The onus is on the challenger to win the belt. Why show up to a championship fight if not to take the belt? The champ, on the other hand, can say he showed up to a championship fight because if he didn't, they would take his belt away.

This is exactly what Silva was saying around that time, and why he was kind of fighting like an ass. He didnt feel like he was getting a challenge or something to add to his legacy and he got bored. The UFC had told him that unless he was going to move up and actually challenge for the 205 belt that he was done jumping up for fights (unless needed in an emergency) and GSP was talking about how it would take time to bulk up if Silva wasnt going to meet him halfway or all the way down.

The Cote fight I dont really think he was a jerk, he put the onus on the challenger and then Cote hurt himself. Leites fight right after went to a decision. LHW Griffin was in the Matrix, and that's when Dana closed the door on Anderson goofing around with ranked 205ers like he had been. Maia was a decision. Sonnen was headed toward a bad decision when Silva decided he was going to fight for the belt and everything after that until Weidman he was on fire again.

TLDR: Silva got bored for a couple of years and put the onus on the challenger, then when Sonnen the challenger almost beat him he woke up and started beating opponents quickly again

I think the Maia fight was an intentional stinker because he was mad at the UFC. Remember reading something about that. But don’t remember everything. Or anything really.
Was it cause they didn't arrage the GSP superfight?

Fake News , GSP schools every welterweight of today decreased division , thats a truth that even known shills like you and @Mason acknowledge but refuse to admit.
Seeing GSP’s history of tapping to strikes, GSP would tap quickly to Maia’s choke before going unconscious

Seeing GSP’s history of tapping to strikes, GSP would tap quickly to Maia’s choke before going unconscious
Maia and your boy Woodley both got schooled by poor man GSP Rory MacDonald who also happens to be the #1 welterweight currently.

Maia and your boy Woodley both got schooled by poor man GSP Rory MacDonald who also happens to be the #1 welterweight currently.
It’s a fact that GSP ducked Woodley. For good reason too. Woodley would have KOd GSP stiff.

What actually happened: Georges was terrified of watching his striking coach get schooled by Woodley

Georges St-Pierre: Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson is the best striker I’ve ever seen in my life

gono-png.550659
Marco Huas was a great fighter bro . Gono is a big GSP hater though.
It’s a fact that GSP ducked Woodley. For good reason too. Woodley would have KOd GSP stiff.
Woodley blew his chance to fight The Greatest when he put on a snoozer against Maia and was scared to engage with him.

Back