Why do Americans look them for moral insight and political advice?

I still think it's funny people use Kimmel as some moral compass when he was a Man Show host.

It's amazing that him and Corrola went to completely opposite ends of the political spectrum

Hollywood is a propaganda arm for the left, they use emotion to manipulate you into taking their side because the rational fact based side doesn't match their narrative

Sorry, Bill Cassidy, Republican senator from Louisiana who came up with the most recent attempt to fuck people on healthcare (Graham-Cassidy).

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...my-kimmel-test-kimmel-says-he-lied/684254001/

http://variety.com/2017/politics/news/jimmy-kimmel-bill-cassidy-healthcare-1202564210/

Thought that's what you were referring to by bringing Kimmel up.
I was just using him in general acting like he has a moral authority to suggest to Americans how we're supposed to act.

This is usually my reaction when Kimmel goes off on something and my brain's like "you were on a show that was explicitly there to see tits bounce"
<JagsKiddingMe>

Carolla may speak about current events but I've never heard him act like he has a moral highground on anything.

I've always wondered why anyone would listen to actor. They make a living pretending to be someone else. Sure they may seem likable or smart in a movie, but those aren't really their words or actions. Is Mel Gibson the charming guy from "what women want" or the guy that abused his wife verbally and physically.

Same for athletes. If I'm looking for advice, I'll turn to people more knowledgeable than myself, not some physical freak that's been coddled his whole life and thinks going to practice for a couple of hours is "the grind".

I was just using him in general acting like he has a moral authority to suggest to Americans how we're supposed to act.

You must have seen some Kimmel episodes that I didn't.

Carolla may speak about current events but I've never heard him act like he has a moral highground on anything.

What constitutes acting like one has a moral high ground on anything? I have a hard time seeing how you'd apply that to one and not the other based on rational criteria.

You must have seen some Kimmel episodes that I didn't.

What constitutes acting like one has a moral high ground on anything? I have a hard time seeing how you'd apply that to one and not the other based on rational criteria.
The way Kimmel is always doing the teary eyed "we have to do something" essentially the "think of the chirren" sorta reaction.

It's also a bit of a "stay in your lane" thing to me. Carrolla, Rogan and them may talk politics but they know ultimately they are podcast guys that are also comedians and stick in that theater. Kimmel his opening monologue isn't funny to me anymore (Fallon either)... always political ranting. Same reason I can't watch Sports Center for more than the Top 10 or Not Top 10 segments.

EDIT:
Let me add I don't really give two shits what celebs and athletes have to say... I just find it annoying when I turn to something to AVOID the political shit.... it's drowning in it and that frustrates me.

The way Kimmel is always doing the teary eyed "we have to do something" essentially the "think of the chirren" sorta reaction.

I believe it was twice, rather than always (though maybe I missed others?). Once when talking about his own sick kid and once when talking about the shooting in his hometown.

well other industries dont go that far outside their element with as much visibility

there arent headlines saying "wisconsin custodian bravely stands against trump"

The nature of politics is that it is in everyone's element. The reason custodians don't make headlines is that they are individually bad at attracting attention to their positions. Anyone with a social media account can tell you that political opinions can come from anywhere.

And, ofcourse, there are cases where workaday folks do get national attention for taking on politicians, Joe the Plumber, for instance, and it owed nothing to source of income.

I believe it was twice, rather than always (though maybe I missed others?). Once when talking about his own sick kid and once when talking about the shooting in his hometown.
At least recently yeah, I was overstating things I'll admit.

I think that's because they always try and say why common people should or shouldn't do something but they're so far removed from that lifestyle that sometimes you wonder if they even wear the same shoes more than once.

Theyre just wealthy Americans, no more distant from the concerns of "common people" than anybody else with comparable income.

The power of storytelling.

If you ever doubt it...look to Gideon.

Theyre just wealthy Americans, no more distant from the concerns of "common people" than anybody else with comparable income.
I disagree, they're as close to the common people as the lords were close to the peasants in their castles.

I disagree, they're as close to the common people as the lords were close to the peasants in their castles.

Lol, powerful imagery. I'm not saying they're especially close, just that these folks are no more distant than from the common man than everyone else who is out there trying to have an impact on policy.

A deluded industry filled with deluded and material people who feel so good saying "all the right things"

Its nauseating

Bubble People

After all is said and done only this is what matters and will remain;

Ecclesiastes's 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

After all is said and done only this is what matters and will remain;

Ecclesiastes's 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Was that some awkward reference to Buentello?

I would look for moral guidande from Hollywood as much as I would let Podesta choose the paintings for my apartment.

I still think it's funny people use Kimmel as some moral compass when he was a Man Show host.
women-suffrage.png

I feel like I remember Adam saying on Joe's podcast that he wonders how much how Kimmel's pontificating on his show now is ACTUALLY how he feels or the cost of doing business for him.

I don't think they do, really. Just because someone is saying something on TV doesn't mean a lot of people are listening to it.

But the answer is probably the same as "why do American's care so much about what football players do?" We've put athletes and actors on pedestals for a long time, and with the invention of the TV broadcasting they became nearly god-like, transported to all of our living rooms simultaneously to whisk us away from our problems for a few hours. It's essentially a drug. And if your drugs started talking to you about politics, you'd probably pay attention. And if they said "we're not going to work the way you want us to, until you start working the way we want you to" we probably wouldn't be too happy about that.

Most of Hollywood tends to be liberal. So of course their opinions are going to resonate with other liberals. But I don't think they're changing minds; just galvanizing them. Same way Clint Eastwood isn't changing any minds - people who agree with him just listen. People who don't, don't.

I just fired all of that from the hip. Could be a pile of horseshit.
Oddly enough, drugs do do all of those things you just said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back